Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2014, 06:03 AM   #1
Gone

Garage
Do California 986's have extra smog equipment?

I'm shopping for my first used Boxster, and wondering-- is the 49 state emissions issue something to consider? My search turned up zero- so maybe not an issue. Looking at model years 2000-2003.

Thanks for replies!

BTW- I really think these cars offer a lot for the entry fee. (Even with the issues)

Davev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 06:14 AM   #2

I'll give a quick guess while we wait for someone with more knowledge to answer. The Bentley service manual doesn't mention any, and neither does the 101 Projects book:

http://www.amazon.com/Porsche-Boxster-Service-Manual-1997-2004/dp/083761645X/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1392649984&sr=1-2&keywords=porsche+bentley+manual

101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster

They both have a fair amount of discussion of exhaust systems, mods, etc... and I haven't seen any mention of 49 states.

However I would wait for one of the experts to answer, but my best guess would be no.

Steve
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 06:35 AM   #3
Gone

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
I'll give a quick guess while we wait for someone with more knowledge to answer. The Bentley service manual doesn't mention any, and neither does the 101 Projects book:

Porsche Boxster, Boxster S Service Manual: 1997-2004: Bentley Publishers: 9780837616452: Amazon.com: Books

101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster

They both have a fair amount of discussion of exhaust systems, mods, etc... and I haven't seen any mention of 49 states.

However I would wait for one of the experts to answer, but my best guess would be no.

Steve
Thanks for those links. I can shop while we wait! I've been wondering why I see "Bentley" in some of the posts. Now I know!
Old 02-17-2014, 07:40 AM   #4

If you want to check out some more DIY articles, check out Pedro's Garage:

DIY Projects: Do-it-Yourself Repair and Maintenance for your Porsche

I have never worked on cars before, but in the 1+ year I have had this one I have done:

Front brakes
Brake and clutch bleed and flush
Fuel Filter
Air Filter
Cabin Air Filter
Headlight swap
Oil change
Oxygen sensor
Replace ignition switch
Replace Headlight switch
Change transaxle oil
Replaced spark plugs, tubes, and O-rings

I am probably leaving some out. If I can do it, anyone can, and I saved a ton of $$$ by DIY.

There are a lot of great learning resources, including this forum; without them I probably wouldn't have attempted any of those work items.

I have just started down the slippery slope of track days now as well...

They are fun cars Welcome to the madness

Steve
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:06 AM   #5
Track rat

Garage
As I understand it, all US 986 cars meet CA emission standards when stock. ROW cars do not. All bets are off when the modding bug kicks in though.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:29 AM   #6

Garage
I don't think there has been any additional CA only emission requirements for at least 15 years. Many states use CA emission testing standards if only for high population countys.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:51 AM   #7
Gone

Garage
Thanks everyone, I've found a couple cars in CA and hopefully one of them will come home with me.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:29 PM   #8

Just find one and take it home, if it can pass smog here, it will pass anywhere. Our EPA is so stringent here you can't even fart without a cat and muffler attached to your arse.
Slate 01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 03:02 PM   #9
Gone

Garage
Slate- my question was more about horsepower robbing smog parts. We don't do emissions around here. Some cars have special models for the CA market that are different for all other states. I would avoid those.

So now the issue is- since the 986 is built to meet even the worst (most stringent) state emissions standards- there must be some modifications some of us can do to remove those extra items. But thats a subject for another day.
Old 02-17-2014, 04:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davev View Post
Slate- my question was more about horsepower robbing smog parts. We don't do emissions around here. Some cars have special models for the CA market that are different for all other states. I would avoid those.

So now the issue is- since the 986 is built to meet even the worst (most stringent) state emissions standards- there must be some modifications some of us can do to remove those extra items. But thats a subject for another day.
For the most part, very few exceptions, cars are being made to be 50 state legal, not worth it to the manufacturing process to differentiate. Maybe that would clear things up for ya. Buy it and drive it, the gov as screwed up everything across the nation.
Slate 01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 05:46 PM   #11

To my knowledge the one big thing that is different in the U.S. cars versus ROW cars is that we have four catalytic converters while the ROW have two cats. The extra cats can be eliminated with a straight pipe and generally is worth a few hp. Downside to wliminating the cats is it won't pass the visual inspection part of as smog check and it may not pass the sniff test if one is done.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 07:01 PM   #12
Track rat

Garage
Quote:

Well, don't get too excited about all that hidden horsepower that you will unleash and transform the car. Many have tried with pretty limited results. The only real "unleashing" I have seen is the 3.6L transplant.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:41 PM   #13
Gone

Garage
Ha. Yea- I'm past the stage of louder exhaust equals big horsepower. But I do like to make things more efficient thru lighter weight and less restriction. Of course if I lost 20 lbs that would be the best modification of all.

BTW- it seems to be a buyers market for early Boxsters these days. Almost too many to choose from. Of course a closer look narrows the field fast. But I've got 3 low mile 2000/2003 cars to check out.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:16 PM   #14

Quote:

I did the 2nd Cat deletes, There are 4. 2 in the headers and another 2 downstream that have no Sensors in them.

The 2 downstream sensorless 2ndary cats can be easily removed and still pass CA smog standards.

The 2nd Cat delete frees up some restriction along with my aftermarket Top Speed mufflers and improves the exhaust note and improves the throttle responsiveness on my 2001 "S".

2nd cat deletes tubes are an easy job ~$200 also from Top Speed.

I love the exhaust note and throttle response now.

Search "2nd cat delete" on the DIY page and you will see lots of info on this with pictures etc.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)

Last edited by jb92563; 02-17-2014 at 09:18 PM.
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 06:16 AM   #15
Gone

Garage
Thanks Ray. Good info for me. As soon as I get a 986- I will drive it a while and see if I need a different exhaust note. I've been paying more attention to everything Boxster for a few months now- the other night one drove past me in a parking lot. I did not like the sound. Hard to describe- but not manly!

My friends love to order new exhaust even before their new car, bike or truck arrives. Ha. Most of the time I think they loose Precious HP. I like to slowly make changes based on things that only show up over time -to resolve issues or improve efficiency.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:44 AM   #16

Garage
So, that's a good question - has anyone tried to do a CA smog test with the delete pipes in place? Unlikely I would fail visual, as the tech is probably not that motivated or familiar to check. I'm more curious how close an older Boxster will get to the HC and CO limits without the secondary cats...
Dlirium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 07:03 AM   #17

For a bit more info, the early 986s (1997-1999) did not have secondary cats and were still California emissions compliant. As for mods, there are several aftermarket exhaust manufacturers offering lower cell count, higher flow catalytic converters as part of their exhaust package. For example check out Fabspeed's full exhaust package for a 986 on Pelican Parts.

Also if you're possibly interested in a '99 Boxster, let me know: '99 Boxster for Sale
RaisedOnPorsches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 10:16 AM   #18

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaisedOnPorsches View Post
For a bit more info, the early 986s (1997-1999) did not have secondary cats and were still California emissions compliant. As for mods, there are several aftermarket exhaust manufacturers offering lower cell count, higher flow catalytic converters as part of their exhaust package. For example check out Fabspeed's full exhaust package for a 986 on Pelican Parts.
Truthfully, it's likely just as easy and a LOT cheaper to swap back in the secondary cats if it doesn't pass with the primary cats I have in the headers. couple hours of wrenching and it's done...

Dlirium is offline   Reply With Quote