Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2013, 06:09 AM   #1
2004 Boxster S

2004 986S preventative maintenance - input please

Hello everyone! Suggestions welcome:

I'm getting ready to take my 2004 S into an independent shop for RMS, IMSB retrofit, Clutch and possibly flywheel depending on what they find "while in there." The car only has 73K kms (45K miles) on it and runs like a top, I picked it up in Germany in April and promptly drove the long way to Spain through 5 countries over 2000 miles plus another 1000 miles since. Not a hint of anything wrong other then a driveline clunk on clutch engagement at low rpms, especially from a stop or on in-town 1st - 2nd shifts. Thinking flywheel/front motor mount/tranny mounts but we'll see what the shop finds.

So, since its going on the lift with tranny out, are there any other must-do items, or at least some to order parts for and inspect just in case? Spending more money then planned is one thing, spending it twice on labor is something else entirely! Thanks in advance for any input.

evan9eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:25 AM   #2
Certified Boxster Addict

CV joints and boots. They should be fine with only 45K miles, but worth checking.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:44 AM   #3

And the Boots and thus CVs are a weak point on 6 speeds, different angle than the older 5 speeds.

Motor mounts particularly the front.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:33 AM   #4

While the car is apart for the RMS/IMS/clutch, the AOS is right out in the open and can be changed in about 5 min. I would also look at the oil fill tube as they are a common problem, and are also exposed while the car is apart.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:00 AM   #5

I also have a 2004 Boxster S and did the IMS retro, RMS, clutch, throwout bearing, water pump, and thermostat in 2012. The car had 42,000 mile when the work was done. The fly wheel was in fine shape. Did the water pump at the adivse of the garage doing the work. The pump has a plastic fin impeller. They have a tendancy to crack. Did all of this as a precationary measure. Now I can sleep better. The USD4,000, which included an oil & filter change was worht the money.

Glad to see you are doind the motor mounts. I did not do this and just had the front replaced a few days ago.

Good luck!
LuvTheBoxsterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:41 AM   #6

Garage
When the engine is out there will be the opportunity to see some things like motor mounts, belt, etc that really can't be easily accessed in the car. Some of them will obviously need to be replaced and some others like water pump, aos, etc will be necessary just on time or milage alone. better to do it when it is easy rather than on the side of the road in 3 months. so many of the small things have to have basicly the same labor to get to them that I'd change anything that is questionable.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 05:58 AM   #7

Usually it is a given with a new clutch but make sure they put in a new pilot bearing. Just did some of what I would consider routine maintenance on my 2002S. The motor mount rubber was broken at 45 k mi. Also replaced transmission mounts due to age but they were actually in good condition and did not need replacement. There is no end to what you can do to keep your baby at peak performance other than time and your wallet.
opus69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 06:39 AM   #8
recycledsixtie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by opus69 View Post
There is no end to what you can do to keep your baby at peak performance other than time and your wallet.
I understand what you are saying completely. In a few years I might be looking at a 2009 Cayman to replace my 2001 Boxster base and the whole process repeats itself!
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:01 AM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
While the car is apart for the RMS/IMS/clutch, the AOS is right out in the open and can be changed in about 5 min. I would also look at the oil fill tube as they are a common problem, and are also exposed while the car is apart.
+1 on this. The 2 spring clamp that are almost impossible to reach on the 90 degree tube at the bottom is easy to reach with the trans, out!! Really makes this a 10 minute fix.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:05 AM   #10

Garage
If your headers are off replace your spark plugs. This is another job cut in half time wise with some parts out of the bottom.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 12:40 PM   #11
2004 Boxster S

Thanks for the responses everyone! Some new questions:

There was a mention of the serpentine belt, whats the normal life for one? Also, spark plugs were replaced twice during the first years as far as I can see in the service book, again what is the normal replacement interval for these?

Sounds like the AOS is a no-brainer with the transmission out. The engine is staying in the car, its just a tranny drop planned. Motor mount is probably a must-do anyway. Water pump sounds like a good item to change too. Any remarks on the oil pump shaft I've read about or the oil pump itself?

Are the pilot bearing/throwout bearing the same thing, and isn't this normally addressed during a clutch replacement?

Finally, any thoughts about sump baffles and other plastic parts in the sump causing issues?
Old 07-22-2013, 03:23 AM   #12

Pilot bearing is for the front main shaft of transmission where it inserts into flywheel and in my opinion should be changed with a new clutch. It is cheap and you already have access. Throwout bearing rests against the pressure plate of the clutch and disengages the clutch when pedal is depressed.
opus69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 11:21 AM   #13
2004 Boxster S

Thanks everyone for the responses! Would anyone bother dropping the sump just to inspect what might be laying in it, or would that decision depend on how the IMSB looks when removed? The car will also be getting a magnetic drain plug and spin-on filter adapter.
Old 08-02-2013, 11:28 AM   #14

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by evan9eleven View Post
Thanks everyone for the responses! Would anyone bother dropping the sump just to inspect what might be laying in it, or would that decision depend on how the IMSB looks when removed? The car will also be getting a magnetic drain plug and spin-on filter adapter.
YES should always be done soon after buying a Boxster/996/997

Be sure to clean the oil pickup tube also.

Standard Ultra Grey sealant works well for sealing the oil sump cover as long as the sealing surfaces of the engine & sump cover are spotlessly clean.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 11:44 AM   #15

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by evan9eleven View Post
Thanks for the responses everyone! Some new questions:

There was a mention of the serpentine belt, whats the normal life for one? Also, spark plugs were replaced twice during the first years as far as I can see in the service book, again what is the normal replacement interval for these?

Sounds like the AOS is a no-brainer with the transmission out. The engine is staying in the car, its just a tranny drop planned. Motor mount is probably a must-do anyway. Water pump sounds like a good item to change too. Any remarks on the oil pump shaft I've read about or the oil pump itself?

Are the pilot bearing/throwout bearing the same thing, and isn't this normally addressed during a clutch replacement?

Finally, any thoughts about sump baffles and other plastic parts in the sump causing issues?
The sump baffle has 2 rubber "trap doors" insure they are still sealing the passages as designed & inspect the fragile posts they hang from. If a post is broken you will need to replace the whole baffle. I have a few good used baffles for sale if you need it.
Oil pumps rarely have problems unless anything other than oil passes thru it. Same for the oil pump drive shaft. Definitely upgrade to the LN billet shaft when convenient, but that requires removing the waterpump/oilpump/engine mount/coolant manifold housing so I wouldn't bother now.

You can see the rubber doors to the left of the baffle in the pic below

BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote