Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2013, 10:27 AM   #1

shock/spring to RoW M30

I have 01 2.7L 5 spd boxster
am going to replace shocks/springs with RoW M30 set.
besides the bellows and the rubber bumper stops, are there any other item that i need to purchase (should purchase) that's not supplied with the RoW M30 kit?
thanks in advance

sb01box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:10 PM   #2

Garage
It depends on what your applications are. If you are just content with the m030 set, you need nothing else. However, you may find some dust boots ripped, worn control arm, bushings etc. While you're in there, it would be a good idea to replace some items, however I just went and replaced my struts & springs.
I used these instructions, and they are pretty good.

http://gwl.rmsolo.org/hacks/suspension/
Kenny Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:03 PM   #3
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
I changed the front top mounts when I recently did mine. All the wishbones and arms were also replaced a couple of months before that.
Sold: 986S - Zenith Blue - 18" Sport Classics - Black Zunsport grilles - Stainless silencer and manifolds - K&N panel - shortshift - M030 suspension - 75mm throttle body - custom 83mm intake - SmartTop - custom remap - MDS underdrive pulley
edc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 04:01 PM   #4

Garage
Top strut mounts & the strut bearings.
Bryan topping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 04:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Boxster View Post
It depends on what your applications are. If you are just content with the m030 set, you need nothing else. However, you may find some dust boots ripped, worn control arm, bushings etc. While you're in there, it would be a good idea to replace some items, however I just went and replaced my struts & springs.
I used these instructions, and they are pretty good.

Boxster Hacks and Instructions
shocks are long overdue maintenance.. 135K miles. the car is my daily drive and some fun mountain drive.,. nothing more.

M030 was the least expensive way to go using Porsche new parts.

i noticed one ripped boot (i think the catalog calls this the bellows) so dust boot x 4
how about the additional rubber bumper on the strut shaft by the upper mount?

as for top mount and bearing with housing... what should I look for that will indicate replacement$$$

lower control arms were replaced as well as the swaybar drop links. did not "feel" any looseness on the lower arm or other parts of the suspension. did visual only
thanks
Tad
Old 07-29-2013, 05:20 PM   #6

Garage
At 135k miles, replace the bellows & rubber bump stops. You will be surprised at the the difference between new & old.
As far as the strut mounts & bearings, you will need a wheel alignment for this project anyway so replace these as your mileage indicates it's probably due & you won't have to deal with it again.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:22 PM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan topping View Post
At 135k miles, replace the bellows & rubber bump stops. You will be surprised at the the difference between new & old.
As far as the strut mounts & bearings, you will need a wheel alignment for this project anyway so replace these as your mileage indicates it's probably due & you won't have to deal with it again.
Oh, and drop links.
Old 07-30-2013, 03:32 AM   #8
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
The latest revision top mount part is a 997 shared part.
Sold: 986S - Zenith Blue - 18" Sport Classics - Black Zunsport grilles - Stainless silencer and manifolds - K&N panel - shortshift - M030 suspension - 75mm throttle body - custom 83mm intake - SmartTop - custom remap - MDS underdrive pulley
edc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 03:25 PM   #9

placed orders for the RoW M030 kit
all the rubber and also the shock mounts
thanks for all of your inputs.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:44 AM   #10

Of all the parts spoken of, the strut bearings are the most likely to be worn. The bearings are tiny and carry the weight of each corner. They also affect the world-class steering of our cars. I paid around $20 each at Sunset Porsche. I just installed the ROW M030 kit on my car and it had half the mileage of yours. The only other worn parts were the anti-roll BARS. The bushings wore a bit of the metal away so they're worth changing out! You're in for quite a treat once you start driving your car again.

Last edited by woodsman; 08-02-2013 at 12:59 PM. Reason: wrong Porsche dealership
woodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 01:28 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsman View Post
Of all the parts spoken of, the strut bearings are the most likely to be worn. The bearings are tiny and carry the weight of each corner. They also affect the world-class steering of our cars. I paid around $20 each at Suncoast Porsche. I just installed the ROW M030 kit on my car and it had half the mileage of yours. The only other worn parts were the anti-roll BARS. The bushings wore a bit of the metal away so they're worth changing out! You're in for quite a treat once you start driving your car again.
by bearing, they are only for the front struts, correct. purchased a pair along with M030 suspension kit. cost was 74 per 2.
RoW M030 comes with swaybars and bushings for them.
thanks for the tip
Old 07-31-2013, 01:55 PM   #12

Garage
You are correct, the bearings are only on the front.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:31 PM   #13

i had thought that i purchased all "rubber" wear parts. but I left out "compensation plates" which are really hard rubber spring seats at the top end.
there are two flavors, 3mm and 6.5mm for the front and 3mm and 6mm for the rear. All I could find is that these are"as required'.
I am contemplating using the thicker ones so that the car is 3mm higher.
any experience and or thought that you can share will be greatly appreciated.
thanks in advance
tad
Old 08-14-2013, 11:15 AM   #14

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb01box View Post
by bearing, they are only for the front struts, correct. purchased a pair along with M030 suspension kit. cost was 74 per 2.
RoW M030 comes with swaybars and bushings for them.
thanks for the tip
May I ask where you found the MO3O kit?
Old 08-14-2013, 01:27 PM   #15

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb01box View Post
i had thought that i purchased all "rubber" wear parts. but I left out "compensation plates" which are really hard rubber spring seats at the top end.
there are two flavors, 3mm and 6.5mm for the front and 3mm and 6mm for the rear. All I could find is that these are"as required'.
I am contemplating using the thicker ones so that the car is 3mm higher.
any experience and or thought that you can share will be greatly appreciated.
thanks in advance
tad
The compensation plates are dictated by the paint codes on the springs. You can find the info in the Bentley manual.
Old 08-14-2013, 05:28 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verhag View Post
May I ask where you found the MO3O kit?
It's RoW M030 kit and I purchased it fom Suncoast
Old 08-14-2013, 05:29 PM   #17

Quote:
The compensation plates are dictated by the paint codes on the springs. You can find the info in the Bentley manual.
I have Bentley manual... I should read more...thanks
Old 08-14-2013, 05:32 PM   #18

Just installed mine this week, got it from Suncoast;

Boxster Euro Suspension Kit (ROW M030):Porsche Parts & Porsche Accessories - Wholesale Porsche Parts & Tequipment - Cayman Panamera Cayenn
psquared39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:39 AM   #19

My ROW fun

Quote:
Well, yes, but from my research AND my newly arrived ROW M030 kit from Sunset (Oregon), the compensating ring code colors are all over the place:
1. White =3mm (check, my original white dot S front springs match 3mm rubber), but the new front ROW's have BLUE upper dots! No cross ref, I'm hoping blue is the new white, as 3mm front rings are the only ones normally stocked (Pelican etc).
2. Green= 6mm (check, my original green dot S rear springs match the fat rear rubber, and the new ROW rears), but on this forum I've see white and green tops on the same application rear springs.
'
Also: I don't know what Suncoast is bundling, but read this from Sunset:
"The ROW M030 kit for a Boxster S with a manual transmission has been discontinued through Porsche. They do still have the ROW M030 kit for the Boxster S with an automatic transmission. The only difference is the rear springs and they have been known to fit on a Boxster S with a manual transmission. Or you could get this kit and purchase the additional springs separately. Then you would have 2 sets of rear springs." (Note Tip cars are 100 pounds heavier in the rear).

That's what I did: the separate S manual rear springs are RED/SILVER 986-333-531-30 (not RED/RED). BTW that matches the Pelican part # and color for ROW M030. Fronts are RED/YELLOW.

The 986-333-531-11 RED/RED rear springs shown in another recent post are NON-S springs according to the knowledgeable folks at Sunset.

Regardless, the install is doable, but arduous. Ignore the "hack" method frequently ref'd, go with Wayne's (Pelican) method. The fronts only require loose control arm pivot bolts, disconnect upper struts (duh) and sway bar, leave he rotors on, and the struts pull out from under the fender .

The rears require dislocating the hub from everything (but NOT the ball joint) including the CV's, lay the assy down, and struts pull out and from under the fenders.
navair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 11:53 AM   #20

my spring color
rear white (top) red red bottom
front red or orange (top) red-yellow bottom

as for the adjustment plates, I purchased both pairs at the front as well as the back.

here's what Suncoast sent me as the parts list for their RoW M030 kit package

Last edited by sb01box; 08-15-2013 at 03:52 PM. Reason: correction made rear/front (per member navair)