Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2005, 06:41 PM   #21

Exclamation Drive it hard

We all work hard to get what we want in life to enjoy.Drive that car how ever you feel like.If you like to put your foot, down do it.I like to cruise with my children and I love the many curves in the mountains where I live.I drive it hard and don't worry about repairs until they are needed.Thats how I feel about it.Yes you do feel great driving a car like this.But it sure feels really good hitting a curve and getting out of it, with your foot to the floor at 6000+RPMs
Enjoy your cars my friends.

tailofdragoneater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 08:24 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD987
Merc seems to be intent on just modernizing what's worked for a long time and sticking that same AMG 5.5 engine in anything they want to label "sporty". IMHO, Audi has totally lost their way and are upstaged by their VW cousins.

I wonder what Porsche's design approach is? They mention a "night-time" design emphasis for the 987, but don't talk much about the day-time.

Actually, Porsche just evolves and modernizes their cars the the same way Merc does. Jeremy Clarkson says Porsche's engineers are some of the laziest engineers in the world when it comes to exterior design lol. Porsche doesn't take chances like BMW does regarding the exterior. Porsche is the only company I know of that can redesign nearly every body panel and end up with a car that looks so similar to it's predecessor(ie:987). Of course, when you get it almost perfect right out of the gate it can be hard to improve much.

I couldn't disagree more about Audi and VW. Audi has given their cars some balls finally and now they are a clear threat to BMW. They have won serveral sport sedan comparisons the last couple years and booted BMW from the top spot with there RS6, RS4, and S4 models. VW's image has declined the past few years and now they need Porsche's help bail them out of a financially bad situation because of it. They have definately gone down hill. They don't have one exciting car in there whole lineup in my opinion.

Last edited by Adam; 12-08-2005 at 11:26 PM.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 11:14 PM   #23

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Adam how about the R32?That is truely one amazing "pocket rocket".
Old 12-08-2005, 11:23 PM   #24

lol, The R32 is a decent car I give you that....for a pocket rocket. Definately not a serious sports car though. Problem with that car is an EVO or STI can be had for for the same money and they blow it away in every performance aspect. No wonder VW is in such a sad state of financial affairs.....their most exciting car is a 30k pocket rocket that gets rocked by the competition.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 11:35 PM   #25

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Neither a EVO or STI will have the resell value of the original R32. The R32 has a much classier interoir then both Japanese cars. The EVO has a "arcade" feel to it and the STI is nothing special. But performance wise you have it right though.
Old 12-10-2005, 07:53 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
It simply makes me laugh when folks say that driving at upper ends of the RPM spectrun is "good for the car." It may be good for you (and that is good) but is certainly is NOT good for the car.
Just to clarify, I'm not suggesting you top it out all the time. Ours has seen the limiter one time and it was my screw up in shifting that got it there. 4K-4.5K is a good cruising range, but like Brucelee said, keeping it at the top all the time (5+K cruising) will wear the engine out faster. Those ranges are for quick shifting and not for cruising.
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 04:26 PM   #27
olly986

what about the latest volkswaggen design.......the veyron! straight from VW drawing boards, maybe this is a new turn for VW to give them a new lease of life and inprove their current line of models which is very dull alright.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:40 AM   #28

I drive mine like i stole it! (havn't had it for too long though)

Only problem i have had was when i over reved it once. I went from 6th to 2nd (instead of 4th, i was just getting used to it) and it overreved bug time. Luckily i didn't let the clutch out fully to do any serious damage, but it still hit a high rev past the rev limit.

I got tappet noise immediately thereafter. (Boxsters have hydrolic tappets, can't adjust them. They are comprised of oil and a ball, thus use clean oil in your car!).

The noise did not go away until the next morning, after it cooled down (thank god!). It has not come back since.

steven is offline   Reply With Quote