Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2005, 04:47 PM   #1

how hard do you drive?

I have a 1999 porsche boxster auto with 57700 miles and was wondering how hard you could drive the car w/o messing things up. I usually go too about 3000 rpm from a stop when driving.i really want to take it to about 4000 every time but i dont realy want problems with it. what do you all drive them to/ whad do you all think?

porscheguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 05:02 PM   #2

It’s a Porsche, it’s not going to break so long as you keep it well maintained and the engine is all warmed up. Drive hard (but still safe) and enjoy . . . repeat if necessary.
Old 12-07-2005, 05:24 PM   #3

I agree with Qporsche... defintely more confident with the car after its reached
operating temp. Normally, I am somewhat nice to first gear... I shift around 4 to 4500 k rpm and then really second and third gear 4500 to 6500 rpm normally...
not floored but into the throttle decently. I try not to hit the rev limiter too much, but sometimes it happens. Proper maintenance and knowing how to drive a car to its potential but not beating on it will go a long way. I have driven my last 2 Bmw's in the same fashion with no major mechanical problems at all. It seems that the car appreciated being driven that way as much as I enjoyed driving it.

Happy driving,
Joe
01S
Triple Black
AUDIOGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 05:51 PM   #4

It's better to drive your P-car at the higher rpms than to stay low in the 3K range. K keep it under 3K until it's at the 195F temp, but once it's there I keep the gears low and stay in the 4-5K range when cruising. Try it for awhile and you'll notice how much smoother it drives and it will stop making all of those annoying clicking and sticky valve noises at idle. (Btw, you should keep the rpms low until warmed up because the oil does not flow well at lower temps The engine is not well lubed until warm.)

There was a great article in the February, 2005 Panorama called "Falling In Love With A Porsche" that explains the differences in performance depending on how you drive it regularly. It's a re-print from 1971, but still pertains to todays P-car engines.
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 07:29 PM   #5

My engine see's 7,000 rpm several times on each outing. I use my boxster much more for fun than transportation. Driving the car nice and easy just wouldn't be prudent. The engine has actually seen 8,000+ rpms a couple times(doh!) thanks to over zealous shifting on my part but I've never heard so much as a whimper come out of it. The flat 6 engine seems to be able to handle hard driving with the best of them from my experience. I wouldn't worry about damaging it because it can probably take more than you can dish at it. Just be sure to it is warm before you flog it hard as the other guys said.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 03:48 AM   #6

Around town - I warm it up, then drive normally.
I agree with delerious - Euro cars in general like the rpms better than American cars. Mid range rpm's won't hurt a thing. I cruise on the interstates around town at 4,000 and everything sounds fine. If I get on open road between towns I'll drop it into 5th at hit cruise. (75 mph or higher).
And yes, it goes close to redline sometime during each outing - it's a Porsche. Running it up smoothly does the car and me a lot of good.
The Owner's Manual says not to run under 2,000 (or was it 2,500?) in any gear other than first. Low RPM=bad, don't lug it.
limoncello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 05:31 AM   #7

Not to throw water on this love fest for RPMs but there was a detailed article in Panaorama mag some months back that clearly indicated that higher RPMs shorten engine life.

I have no issue against driving at higher RPMs but I don't delude myself into thinking that this is GOOD for my Porsche; the data indicates that it is not.

If it were, race cars would last a lifetime. As it is, their life is measured in races, not miles.

So, all I am saying is if you like to live in the fast lane, you may not want to be the guy complaining how your Box engine is all worn out.

"Let the good times roll!"
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 05:53 AM   #8

Oh Come on... Drive it easy so it will last longer?!

I have loved every Porsche I have ever owned, maintained them, done my best to keep them from coming into contact with other objects, and generally kept them happy.... But they are PORSCHES, they are built and designed with one singular purpose.. TO BE DRIVEN...quickly. Contrary to even most of their rivals Porsches weren't really even designed to be particularly "pretty" or "comfortable". So I guess the point of my rant is.. I seem to see so much written about how to "make my clutch last longer", "how to make my engine last forever", "should I not rev my engine", ect. These are Porsches, and unless someone buys the vehicle to be a poser I assume the only reason they purchased the car was to "drive" it.. Well, Drive it, drive it hard, drive it quickly, stop fast, go through corners quickly and enjoy it. If clutches, tires, brake pads, ect are a major concern maybe an alternative automobile choice is in order.. Sorry for the rant, it is probably more caused by living in Atlanta where most Porsches are owned by mindless posers than by people who appreciate the marque for more than its crest.. also having seen firestone low speed rating tires being mounted on a Porsche the other dat at an Exxon gas station.. Happy driving and yes I now feel better.. BTW has anyone else had problems with Mass Air Flow Sensors in 2.7 Boxsters?
ssinkule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 06:05 AM   #9

you right Porsches were meant to be driven. But Porsches are also very expensive and they are mostly purchased by older folks who have had some sucess in life (or inherited it!). After attending many PCA events I can say even in an enthusiast club only a small part of PCA members venture onto an Autocross course or Track event. Sadly most Porsches are garage queens used as status symbols. C'est la vie.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 07:06 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssinkule
BTW has anyone else had problems with Mass Air Flow Sensors in 2.7 Boxsters?
Do a search here and on Renntech.org and you'll find tons of threads with MAF problems across the three engines running in Boxsters. Most MAF problems I've read about are due to oil-filled air filters and people doing other fooling things to their intakes to get a couple extra HP out of their cars. The other problem with MAF's I've read about is that they do get old and need to be replaced in high mileage or higher aged cars like my 1997. I'm waiting for mine to go out anytime, and hope it doesn't.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 07:32 AM   #11

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssinkule
I have loved every Porsche I have ever owned, maintained them, done my best to keep them from coming into contact with other objects, and generally kept them happy.... But they are PORSCHES, they are built and designed with one singular purpose.. TO BE DRIVEN...quickly. Contrary to even most of their rivals Porsches weren't really even designed to be particularly "pretty" or "comfortable". So I guess the point of my rant is.. I seem to see so much written about how to "make my clutch last longer", "how to make my engine last forever", "should I not rev my engine", ect. These are Porsches, and unless someone buys the vehicle to be a poser I assume the only reason they purchased the car was to "drive" it.. Well, Drive it, drive it hard, drive it quickly, stop fast, go through corners quickly and enjoy it.
Agreed. I baby my Acura because that is what I put my big mileage on. While I do not abuse my Porsche by any means, I didn’t buy it to cruise in a straight line at 2500 RPMs. I had a recent argument with a coworker who has a BMW garage queen (a 525 no less – obviously not an enthusiast). He never drives the thing and will make snide remarks about my 987 being dirty. I have tried to explain that a Porsche (and BMW) is performance art, not sculpture – he thinks it is all about the status. Well I guess we both spent about the same amount of money and got the right cars for our individual tastes.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s..._kill/Siga.jpg
Dr. Kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 07:44 AM   #12
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Kill
Agreed. I baby my Acura because that is what I put my big mileage on. While I do not abuse my Porsche by any means, I didn’t buy it to cruise in a straight line at 2500 RPMs. I had a recent argument with a coworker who has a BMW garage queen (a 525 no less – obviously not an enthusiast). He never drives the thing and will make snide remarks about my 987 being dirty. I have tried to explain that a Porsche (and BMW) is performance art, not sculpture – he thinks it is all about the status. Well I guess we both spent about the same amount of money and got the right cars for our individual tastes.

Dr. Kill, the next time that guy from your office makes a snide remark about your Boxster (clean or dirty) you have our collective permission to kick his butt! Just drop the dude right there! The nerve of that man. Doesn't he know you're Dr. Kill!
Old 12-08-2005, 08:14 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
Dr. Kill, the next time that guy from your office makes a snide remark about your Boxster (clean or dirty) you have our collective permission to kick his butt! Just drop the dude right there! The nerve of that man. Doesn't he know you're Dr. Kill!
Thank you for your support. You know, I think I am going to go throw hot coffee on him right now.

Old 12-08-2005, 08:20 AM   #14

dude hot coffee hurts!

by the way explain to him that Porsche are made in such small numbers compared to BMW that BMW is more like GM in the status symbol world.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:10 AM   #15

Just to be clear, I have no problem with anyone using their Porsche as they see fit.

However, we should not be deluded on this point. When you hammer your car, there is a cost. And with a Porsche, this cost is likely to be substantial (try finding a $3000 create motor for you Boxster.)

It simply makes me laugh when folks say that driving at upper ends of the RPM spectrun is "good for the car." It may be good for you (and that is good) but is certainly is NOT good for the car.

The truth shall set you free.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 10:23 AM   #16

"Try it for awhile and you'll notice how much smoother it drives and it will stop making all of those annoying clicking and sticky valve noises at idle. "
- deliriousga

I've noticed that too. Interestingly, I've also found that driving more spiritedly in the Box improves the fuel economy versus driving like an old lady.

"If clutches, tires, brake pads, ect are a major concern maybe an alternative automobile choice is in order"
-ssinkule

"by the way explain to him that Porsche are made in such small numbers compared to BMW that BMW is more like GM in the status symbol world."
-perfectlap

I couldn't agree with you two more. I think that when younger folks make the move into a "status" car, the BMW is the most popular and viable option. BMW has done a great job of attracting the "status" buyer by marketing: "the ultimate tanning machine" e30 convertible was the first upscale german convertible to be priced to this market...but just as big a ploy has been the 4yr/50K free-scheduled maintenance. If you've had to pay for an Inspection II you know that it's inline with scheduled maintenance on other pricey imports and by making it free for a time they've eliminated a huge concern of alot of young status buyers (can I afford to maintain this imported moneypit).

While of course I'd love to see Porsche and Mercedes have free scheduled maintenance, I personally perceive the drivers of a new model to have more "status" than a BMW owner because not only can they can afford the car but they aren't overly concerned with what it costs to keep it running.

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 10:48 AM   #17

BMW has also done a great job at putting some NEW design approaches into their cars. The Bavarians are showing some leadership in being unafriaid to break new ground in automotive design. In the mean time Merc is growing 'plush stale' and totally losing the prospective sports car buyer. Kind of crazy when you consider the vast sums they spend on High end motorsports.
That Z4 coupe may have a crummy interior and can't hold a candle to the Boxster (let alone the Cayman) but is sure look NEW and futuristic.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:13 AM   #18

I agree about the BMW designs. Plus they have cohesion in their published design approach. The pre-Bangle BMWs drew their inspiration from the stately elegance of oceanic sharks while the new designs are inspired by "flame". In the game of automotive rock-paper-scissors I have to think that "sharks" beat "flames", but at least their approach is cohesive. Merc seems to be intent on just modernizing what's worked for a long time and sticking that same AMG 5.5 engine in anything they want to label "sporty". IMHO, Audi has totally lost their way and are upstaged by their VW cousins.

I wonder what Porsche's design approach is? They mention a "night-time" design emphasis for the 987, but don't talk much about the day-time.

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 04:09 PM   #19
olly986

do not forget that mercedes had a good few cars in the worst 100 on top gear due to bad electrics, breakings, maintenance and poor service, for the cost it is unbelievable! Braking hard and late is usually better for the break pads(as long that it is not too late in that hairpin of course) they apparently don't wear the discs as much, it is imperative that a motor gets to temperature before applying too much throttle and that goes for any car, on the track i take my box to the red line every lap this is what this car is made for and it is the only way that you can realize what our cars can do and make you a safer driver on open road with better driving response and knowledge of your car limits
Old 12-08-2005, 05:44 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbth
Why can't different people buy the same car (even a porsche) for different reasons?
Some people want to throw it around ,some people want to feel better about themselves , others want to reward themselves for success or whatever other reason.

The point is , if someone buys a Boxster for a reason other than yours , cheers for them and cheers for you and let everyone enjoy it in your own way.

What a great world we live in...
Agreed. I can't imagine anyone on this board faulting anyone else for buying one of these cars - regardless of reason.