Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-19-2015, 07:44 PM   #11
1999 base

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by grc0456 View Post
Thanks, Meir. Yes, I saw that DIY write-up for 986: Heater Box Repair. That's the one I may try this weekend. I'm just a little hesitant as this - for me - is a big DIY. I want to know if there are any "top tips" (to quote Edd China from Wheeler Dealers) or "beware of this" warnings. I understand you removed the entire heater core, whereas I just want to procedure above.

I actually made a brief attempt to remove the cowl to investigate a few weeks ago and ended up not being to properly re-connect the windshield washer tubes to the nozzles. Not a big deal as the 12-year old nozzles were barely functioning and were going to be replaced anyway by my indy, but you get the picture. Thanks for your help!

Also, did I read you sold the '99? Replace it with anything fun?
Whatever you decide to do, take your time, and do not rush anything.
Come with confidence, but not over confidence. This is the key for any secsessfull project. I remember that when I started mine, I took in mind that I might fail, and will need the help of a professional. So worst case scenario, I assumed I will pay someone to fix the car. So it makes no difference if I try first, right?
During the past 5 years I owned 2 boxsters and compleated many projects, including 2 clutches,2 coolant tanks, 2 RMS , IMS bearing,axels rebuild and many more.
Spent only $260 on labor, to have the AC guy evacuate and recharge the system.
My 01S was my first car I ever worked on. I do not consider my self as a gifted mechanic or anything like it. I just spent a lot of time reading, and learning from others. Most important, I accepted the fact that if I mess up, I have no problem to pay for it.
Funny you mentioned.
I just saw today a nice 01 996 with 75k miles, that will probebly need all of the above.
So looks like I might have another project for this winter, if I get it for the right price.
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
foam , vent