Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2013, 01:41 PM   #1

Interior vent debris

Has anyone else had an issue with foam insulation / debris blowing from the vents with the AC / fan is running?

afpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:25 PM   #2

Yes, especially where you live. I swear I've even seen a write up on accessing the vent and getting the foam out but where it was now escapes me. I looked in the two places I though I'd find it.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:21 PM   #3
Certified Boxster Addict

Here are a couple of related links:

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/31364-what-stuff.html

Foam Coming Out A/C Vents?

And a link to the DIY that Meir posted:

A/C evaporator replacement-A/C foam flakes
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 01-16-2013 at 03:26 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:16 PM   #4

Mine just started doing this! Dang stuff has blown into my eyes while driving!
Hawkeye71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:53 PM   #5

Garage
Yup, unfortunately this has afflicted me too.
Kenny Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:26 PM   #6

Question-about how many years old must our cars be to start having the stuff blow out of the vent?
litespeedp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:25 AM   #7

Not a question of years so much as conditions it operates in. Heat/Cold help loosen the glue and dry the foam.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:42 AM   #8

Mine started spitting foam bits at me at around 12 years of age.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:52 AM   #9

What exactly is the source of the foam? Is it coming from the foam tape used in the piping pieces that connect at various parts under the dash?
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:59 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour View Post
What exactly is the source of the foam? Is it coming from the foam tape used in the piping pieces that connect at various parts under the dash?
Foam in Air Vents?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Pedro Pedro
The foam that forms the air deflection gates on the air controller deteriorates and begins to disintegrate. It will spew foam for a few months. You can help to clear it by closing all vents but one, running the fan at full blast and using a strong vacuum cleaner to suck it out of the vent.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:38 AM   #11
1999 base

Garage
the foam is covering the internal flap inside the AC air box.
the flaps are made of metal and have holes in it (i guess to reduce weight)
this is how it looks:

Last edited by Meir; 01-18-2013 at 09:40 AM.
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 07:36 AM   #12
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
I know this is an old thread, but I too have only luke warm heat and foam blowing from vents. I am only moderately handy on DIY projects, but feel like I can attempt the project to refoam/tape the mixer door. Its getting access that worries me. I've been through these types of projects before where I caused another problem trying to fix the first. Anyone have success with this DIY of dremeling the cap of the mixer door off the repair the Swiss Cheese flap problem? If so, any tips or pointers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
grc0456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 09:27 AM   #13

I remember a year or two ago thinking smugly that I didn't have the foam problem. Now I have it
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 10:30 AM   #14
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
Yeah, I guess it wasn't a problem for the original owner of my car as it was in FL. Although I wonder if it was not blowing cold A/C down there. I really didn't get a chance to test the A/C as I bought the car in the early fall and brought it back to Boston, but there is no "hot" heat for sure - and foam galore! Hey, I rhymed
My indy said it was blowing 100F at the defrost vent, but I don't buy it. And they had never heard of the foam symptoms. So, I am thinking of going in there myself. Again, in spite of the DIY write ups, I just would like to hear from someone who did it to prop up my courage a bit.

Old 11-18-2015, 12:13 PM   #15
1999 base

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
I remember a year or two ago thinking smugly that I didn't have the foam problem. Now I have it
stay positive.
in a year or two it will be all gone.
lucky for us, lack of foam affects only the heating function, and not the cooling.
Old 11-18-2015, 12:17 PM   #16
1999 base

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by grc0456 View Post
Yeah, I guess it wasn't a problem for the original owner of my car as it was in FL. Although I wonder if it was not blowing cold A/C down there. I really didn't get a chance to test the A/C as I bought the car in the early fall and brought it back to Boston, but there is no "hot" heat for sure - and foam galore! Hey, I rhymed
My indy said it was blowing 100F at the defrost vent, but I don't buy it. And they had never heard of the foam symptoms. So, I am thinking of going in there myself. Again, in spite of the DIY write ups, I just would like to hear from someone who did it to prop up my courage a bit.

i did it and the write-up is attached on thstone post.
will be happy to answer any question you might have.
i think i also have the write-up for the other method you mentioned, going thru the heater core and cutting the axis point.
i will see if i can post it here.
Old 11-18-2015, 12:31 PM   #17
1999 base

Garage
OK.
i found the file, but it is to big to upload, so here is a link from my dropbox.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hx9qr0t3jtkv6th/986%20Heater%20Flap%20Repair.pdf?dl=0
Old 11-18-2015, 03:02 PM   #18
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meir View Post
OK.
i found the file, but it is to big to upload, so here is a link from my dropbox.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hx9qr0t3jtkv6th/986%20Heater%20Flap%20Repair.pdf?dl=0
Thanks, Meir. Yes, I saw that DIY write-up for 986: Heater Box Repair. That's the one I may try this weekend. I'm just a little hesitant as this - for me - is a big DIY. I want to know if there are any "top tips" (to quote Edd China from Wheeler Dealers) or "beware of this" warnings. I understand you removed the entire heater core, whereas I just want to procedure above.

I actually made a brief attempt to remove the cowl to investigate a few weeks ago and ended up not being to properly re-connect the windshield washer tubes to the nozzles. Not a big deal as the 12-year old nozzles were barely functioning and were going to be replaced anyway by my indy, but you get the picture. Thanks for your help!

Also, did I read you sold the '99? Replace it with anything fun?
Old 11-19-2015, 07:44 PM   #19
1999 base

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by grc0456 View Post
Thanks, Meir. Yes, I saw that DIY write-up for 986: Heater Box Repair. That's the one I may try this weekend. I'm just a little hesitant as this - for me - is a big DIY. I want to know if there are any "top tips" (to quote Edd China from Wheeler Dealers) or "beware of this" warnings. I understand you removed the entire heater core, whereas I just want to procedure above.

I actually made a brief attempt to remove the cowl to investigate a few weeks ago and ended up not being to properly re-connect the windshield washer tubes to the nozzles. Not a big deal as the 12-year old nozzles were barely functioning and were going to be replaced anyway by my indy, but you get the picture. Thanks for your help!

Also, did I read you sold the '99? Replace it with anything fun?
Whatever you decide to do, take your time, and do not rush anything.
Come with confidence, but not over confidence. This is the key for any secsessfull project. I remember that when I started mine, I took in mind that I might fail, and will need the help of a professional. So worst case scenario, I assumed I will pay someone to fix the car. So it makes no difference if I try first, right?
During the past 5 years I owned 2 boxsters and compleated many projects, including 2 clutches,2 coolant tanks, 2 RMS , IMS bearing,axels rebuild and many more.
Spent only $260 on labor, to have the AC guy evacuate and recharge the system.
My 01S was my first car I ever worked on. I do not consider my self as a gifted mechanic or anything like it. I just spent a lot of time reading, and learning from others. Most important, I accepted the fact that if I mess up, I have no problem to pay for it.
Funny you mentioned.
I just saw today a nice 01 996 with 75k miles, that will probebly need all of the above.
So looks like I might have another project for this winter, if I get it for the right price.
Old 11-22-2015, 04:23 PM   #20
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
Well, I tried......

to perform the DIY. Took my quite a while to get to the point that the mixer door was out of the car, but I got there. Re-foamed and taped up the door. Putting it back in was very difficult for me. To get the little bushings under the door axis caps on both top and bottom was super tricky. After some cursing and blood, I thought I had every thing back together in order.

Alas, when I started the car up and brought it up to temp for the all-important test of my not too handiwork.......it blew cold air Not even luke warm like before. I could hear the servo motor moving (or trying to move?) the door when I changed the temp on the dash control unit. Any ideas before I admit final defeat and take her to the dealer?

I did take some pics that I hope can be of help to others.

Tags
foam , vent