Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2012, 09:02 AM   #1
Newb

Picked up a 1999 Blue/Tan Boxster Yesterday..

Well I picked up my 1999 Boxster yesterday and today had the wheels balanced. All I can say is I found the power band and the smile factor. I was proceeding up a long incline that is three lanes and freshly paved, everyone was going just too slow, so I found an opening and the opportunity to pass a few and well you all know exactly how I felt.

Today, I took it out to see how it felt with the top down and the windscreen in between the roll bars. Oh how I can not wait until spring. God I love that open air and the sound of the exhaust without the cabin noise. Good times are comin'!

I wanted to take it through a touch-less car wash but was not sure if the side air intakes need to be blocked off for a few minutes. The car is stationary in the wash and I could shut the engine off, but what about the high pressure water as it goes past those openings?

V-Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:19 AM   #2

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Rod View Post
Well I picked up my 1999 Boxster yesterday and today had the wheels balanced. All I can say is I found the power band and the smile factor. I was proceeding up a long incline that is three lanes and freshly paved, everyone was going just too slow, so I found an opening and the opportunity to pass a few and well you all know exactly how I felt.

Today, I took it out to see how it felt with the top down and the windscreen in between the roll bars. Oh how I can not wait until spring. God I love that open air and the sound of the exhaust without the cabin noise. Good times are comin'!

I wanted to take it through a touch-less car wash but was not sure if the side air intakes need to be blocked off for a few minutes. The car is stationary in the wash and I could shut the engine off, but what about the high pressure water as it goes past those openings?
Welcome to the "haves" club! The air intakes shouldn't be any problem But the plastic rear window might.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:23 AM   #3
recycledsixtie

Garage
Congrats on your new purchase. How many miles? Pics would be great if you got the time! Read your owner's manual on washing your car. I use the wand wash only as it avoids putting water in the engine intake. I imagine the purists would say hand wash only. I think that the convert. top would not like high pressure wash and big brush rollers. Enjoy!
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:18 AM   #4

Nothing beats a hand wash & dry by the owner.

Everything else is liable to result in disappointment and a degraded finish over the longer term.

Honestly its such a small area of car to wash it can be easily done in less than 30 minutes.

Always wipe parallel to the wind flow, never circles or side to side and you will be rewarded with a new looking shiny flawless shine.

Washing the Boxster yourself is good therapy and akin to spending intimate time with a sexy woman...try it...you'll like it

For drying use one of these below, youll be amazed and it saves time too ($12 on Amazon)
Attached Images

Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)

Last edited by jb92563; 12-05-2012 at 11:23 AM.
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:33 PM   #5

We will take ours to an all spray water at high pressure autowash only during the winter while the hard top is on. Rag top time is hand wash only.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:58 AM   #6
Homeboy981

Garage
Welcome to the club!

You are going to find almost EVERYONE is slow out there compared to you IF you are driving it like the Doctor ordered!

Hand washing is relaxing and don't know if I would trust an automanic car wash. You generally try to AVIOD the holes on the side.

And nothing says lovin' like rubbin' your racer down!

Enjoy!

How about pics? Mileage? Mods?
Old 12-06-2012, 06:55 AM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb92563 View Post
Nothing beats a hand wash & dry by the owner.

Everything else is liable to result in disappointment and a degraded finish over the longer term.

Honestly its such a small area of car to wash it can be easily done in less than 30 minutes.

Always wipe parallel to the wind flow, never circles or side to side and you will be rewarded with a new looking shiny flawless shine.

Washing the Boxster yourself is good therapy and akin to spending intimate time with a sexy woman...try it...you'll like it

For drying use one of these below, youll be amazed and it saves time too ($12 on Amazon)
I'll second this advice including the towel, great product! Hand wash only for me
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:22 PM   #8
Newb

I apologize for posting this in the Technical/Performance section...It was meant to be in the General section.

I actually love detailing my vehicles and can easily spend a couple of days to do a A+ job. It is great therapy and I just love being in my garage with the tunes on.

My question on washing is that it is way too cold for me to be outside with a hose at this time of year. I take my other vehicles to a touchless, brushless type of car wash that has a robot that runs around the car pressure washing. I was only concerned about water getting into the air intake ducts. I never let a brush or spinning cloth touch my cars. I hate swirl marks!
2008 Land Rover LR3 Alaska White/Alpaca
2012 Honda Odyssey Touring Dk Grey/Lt Grey
Old 12-08-2012, 07:23 AM   #9

Enjoy and welcome to the club!
walt2810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:05 PM   #10
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
When the hardtop is on I use a brushless, no touch car wash. Look for one that has no metal ramps that you need to drive onto such as a Laser Wash 4000 or the newer 360.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHapsm3s688
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:45 AM   #11
Newb

Paul, the Laserwash 360 is what I have right near me. I use it on all my vehicles before I wax and detail them and after some messy weather. I like to keep a freshly waxed surface as it is easier for long term maintenance and the Laserwash can do a great job if the surface slippery clean.

Is there a water beading spray for the roof? What is the best color enhancing protectant for the ragtop?
2008 Land Rover LR3 Alaska White/Alpaca
2012 Honda Odyssey Touring Dk Grey/Lt Grey
Old 12-10-2012, 07:36 AM   #12

Garage
I used 303 on mine. I got the tip on this forum. You can spray it on, but I used a foam brush. Made my top look great and the water beads nicely.

303 High Tech Fabric Guard 32oz
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:24 PM   #13
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
I prefer RaggTopp.

Our tops are 2 layers, cloth over a rubber membrane so the cloth does not need to be water proof.

Beading has it's downside, wait until the first time you open your door when it's raining.....

Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote