Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 08:11 AM   #1

Question Boxster 3.2 S year 99 MOT fail on brake lights

Hi,

I took my 99 Boxster 3.2 S along for an MOT on Saturday morning and got a fail on the brake lights. The mechanic said they worked intermittently, so I was wondering if that would be a switch problem? I keep her under a waterproof cover all year inbetween driving and this does cause some condensation....so I suppose that could be a problem too. I would be very grateful for any feedback from anyone who has experienced anything like this.

Other than the brake lights, she sailed through the MOT with only the odd advisory note on corrosion on brake pipes and exhaust and a tiny oil leak....none of which are anything really out of the ordinary for a car of her age.

Hope to hear back from someone soon. Many thanks,

Cluelessnblonde x

Cluelessnblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:54 AM   #2
Ex Esso kid

It's the switch right under the pedal that has an extended plastic plunger. It can be removed, taken apart, cleaned and replaced but if you are not mechanically inclined it's a simple plug and play for a new one. Just make sure you study how it mounts in the holder and replace the new one the exact same way.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:51 PM   #3

Many thanks to Ghostrider 310 for the helpful reply. The new brake light switch only cost about £7.00 and my mechanic fitted it for free as he will be doing the main service in a month or so and it was so nice for me to have more of an understanding before speaking with him on the day. I do try not to be quite so clueless and I'm sorry to be so late in my reply to your post too. Apologies for that, but was just so happy to get her through the MOT re-test yesterday!!

I do have another question for you, Ghostrider 310....do you know which would be the best outdoor car cover for my Boxster as the old one is begining to get mould growing on it, especially in really wet weather? It will probably be fine whilst the weather is so cold, but not for much longer.There are so many different types available at a variety of costs and I don't have money to waste on overpriced items. Many thanks in anticipation.

Cluelessnblonde x

Last edited by Cluelessnblonde; 12-09-2012 at 03:52 PM. Reason: spelling error
Cluelessnblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:09 PM   #4
Ex Esso kid

Glad the information helped, Regarding car covers, my understanding is this, ANY cover you use would need to be removed after a deluge so the moisture trapped against the paint could vent and the cover could be properly dried before re application. My thoughts are it is more important to be diligent about how often you apply, clean and remove a car cover than it would be effective to choose the miracle material of the day and think it can be left in place without maintenance. Mine is a garage gal so it can stay covered all winter, maybe someone else has different thoughts, good luck.

Last edited by Ghostrider 310; 12-09-2012 at 04:13 PM.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:40 PM   #5

What's an MOT? Sounds like a mandated inspection?
Skrapmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider 310 View Post
Glad the information helped, Regarding car covers, my understanding is this, ANY cover you use would need to be removed after a deluge so the moisture trapped against the paint could vent and the cover could be properly dried before re application. My thoughts are it is more important to be diligent about how often you apply, clean and remove a car cover than it would be effective to choose the miracle material of the day and think it can be left in place without maintenance. Mine is a garage gal so it can stay covered all winter, maybe someone else has different thoughts, good luck.
I'll disagree with the necessity to remove all covers after getting wet.

If you get a cover made from this material, BLOCK-IT® Car Cover Fabrics - NOAH® Fabric
it is open to breath and repels water.

It dries very quickly when wet since it only gets suface moisture with little making it through.

I use it on my fiber glass aircraft and its amazing. One side is very soft and actually buffs the surface in the wind when the material moves.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:03 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrapmot View Post
What's an MOT? Sounds like a mandated inspection?
Master Of Trouble It's a yearly/bi-yearly vehicle worthiness test like the inspection you guys do in the US.

rene525d is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake lights