Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2012, 10:48 AM   #1

Any experience with Pedro's tune (TechnoChip)?

I am shopping for a tune for my 98 boxster and am interested about Pedro's tune, the techno chip. However, I can't find a lot of information about it.

Does anyone have any expierence with it and what are your likes and dislikes about it?

Thanks

PPW

onefastman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:22 PM   #2

Garage
I was also looking into this tune combined with the techno torque and bored throttle body.. But after full exhaust, intake and under drive pully are on, I might need a more custom tune
aclark133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:53 PM   #3

I talked to him today and he said the tune is completely custom to your modifications, fuel octane you use, altitude, etc.
onefastman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 01:54 AM   #4

I was wondering as well.
'05 Sportster
Brockmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:30 PM   #5

I doubt it can do very much safely, but am willing to review dyno results for a typical installation.

I just completed this process on a turbo Subaru and it's very impressive with a new downpipe added. But a turbo is really something to work with that has much potential. NA cars are harder to reflash with much success.

I also had a conversation a fews yrs ago with the tuner at a really good P-car speed and race shop in CT. The tuner advised me to save my money unless I was willing to do some very substantial physical upgrades.

Pedro please comment.......
Old 04-30-2012, 05:34 AM   #6

The theory I've heard has always been do all the physical changes you are going to do and then flash the resulting configuration. Otherwise, if you do changes after the flash you can throw the effects of the flash out the window.

I know a guy who has 2 dynos. He is kinda OC. He told me it took about a month and dozens of "try this", dyno it, then drive it in the real world sequences before he finally got to a combination of settings that gave results that he could live with on his highly modified engine. When I say highly modified, I'm talking everything from displacement changes to valve train changes to polishing, to .... Probably 3x times what the car was worth but he likes to experiment. And he was changing lots more than the normal flash throttle response parameters and even had good mileage in the end.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:10 PM   #7

Garage
I would like to know about the whole package he sells. Expanded throttle body/ air splitter/ and Ecu tune. Just can find anyone who is talking about it. I purchased an ecu tune from fabspeed which I believe is Evom and don't really notice that much of a difference. Throttle response is better, but the wow factor isn't there. I feel like I threw $900 out the window.

I would be willing to purchase the kit for $1399 but don't want to be throwing more money out the window.
You should definitely be able to feel the advertised 30hp.
I am also not that thrilled about shipping my Ecu like I had to do with Fabspeed.
Btw I have a boxster s 3.2 Evom tune/ Evo intake/ fabspeed cat bypasses and exhaust.

If anyone has this kit please chime in as his prices are very reasonable.

Last edited by Jerkstore; 05-01-2012 at 05:16 PM.
Jerkstore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:46 PM   #8

Garage
I think you get the "wow" factor when you chip a turbo car.. There really isn't much to change on an n/a car, in my opinion
aclark133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:47 PM   #9
Certified Boxster Addict

To explain further what aclark133 is saying...

The big wow factor that comes from chipping a turbo or supercharged car usually comes from increasing the boost; more air + more fuel = lots more power. This is usually acheived via mechanical means and isn't a direct result of modding the chip. The chip mod simply adjusts the mix (increases fuel) for the additional air at the first order of magnitude and fine tunes the mix/timing to prevent detonation and lean conditions at the second order of magnitude to prolong engine life.

The problem with a naturally aspirated engine is that the amount of air remains (aproximately) constant so increasing fuel (at the first order of magnitude) doesn't do much. This only leaves the second order of magnitude (a finer tune of mix/timing) changes available to the tuner resulting in not nearly as large of a power gain (or wow factor).

And yes, while some cars are somewhat "detuned" from the factory (for various reasons), it does not seem that the Boxster engines fall into this category and thus, the gains from a ECU tune alone max out at around 10%.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 05-01-2012 at 08:52 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:13 AM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aclark133 View Post
I think you get the "wow" factor when you chip a turbo car.. There really isn't much to change on an n/a car, in my opinion
Maybe that's the difference. The last car I had tuned was a turbo VW. After the tune I was smiling ear to ear. It was the best $500 I ever spent. Boost went from 3 to 8psi. I also had a methanol sprayer and a 50 shot on it.

I am just wondering if i can get a little more out of my box with the larger throttle body and his techno torque. I'm also looking at the under drive pully.

He is claiming 30hp on the 3.2 S. If this is true i will be more than happy to give him $1399 ($46 per HP) as I will never add spray to this car.
Jerkstore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 01:18 AM   #11

I am subscribing to this thread, as I am interested in doing the Pedro combo in the near future also.

06 Maserati Quattroporte (Family hauler)
08 Corvette Z06 (Track car)
986_c6 is offline   Reply With Quote