Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2015, 09:48 AM   #21

by pulling up the shifter boot, you should be able to get an idea if the if there is any problem with the shifter end of the equation. if so pelican parts has a write up on removal of the center console. it may be in their article for the installation of a short throw shifter.

rdass623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 10:34 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdass623 View Post
by pulling up the shifter boot, you should be able to get an idea if the if there is any problem with the shifter end of the equation. if so pelican parts has a write up on removal of the center console. it may be in their article for the installation of a short throw shifter.
Thanks Rdass623 I'll look into that.
Old 06-02-2015, 02:02 PM   #23

Clutch slave cylinder.

Mike
seningen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 03:31 PM   #24

I had this happen on my 02 S and it was the cable end at the shifter. Removing the center console is not hard IF YOU CAN FIND ALL THE DAMN SCREWS !!! I found all of them except one it drove me nuts. It was the one by the ash tray if I remember correctly. Anyway once the console is out of the way you can clearly see the two shifter cables. Chances are you will see that one of them has fallen off the ball socket of the shifter. That means the end of the cable is worn/broken. But the ends are easily replaced. But before removing the bad end take a Sharpie pen and make reference marks , when installing the new end this will be helpful. Took me about 10 seconds to pop the new one in place and all is well. Make sure to put a little bit of grease inside the cup of the new cable end before popping it onto the ball. Good luck.
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 06:24 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfuerst911sc View Post
I had this happen on my 02 S and it was the cable end at the shifter. Removing the center console is not hard IF YOU CAN FIND ALL THE DAMN SCREWS !!! I found all of them except one it drove me nuts. It was the one by the ash tray if I remember correctly. Anyway once the console is out of the way you can clearly see the two shifter cables. Chances are you will see that one of them has fallen off the ball socket of the shifter. That means the end of the cable is worn/broken. But the ends are easily replaced. But before removing the bad end take a Sharpie pen and make reference marks , when installing the new end this will be helpful. Took me about 10 seconds to pop the new one in place and all is well. Make sure to put a little bit of grease inside the cup of the new cable end before popping it onto the ball. Good luck.
Did yours work fine sometimes or did it not shift into gear at all? Mine would go into gear if I worked the gears starting 6th down. Now after sitting 7 months it worked fine but I never went past 2nd as I just wanted to move it back home and not get stuck out. Will look under console this weekend hopefully. Thank you for your help!!

Last edited by katanihouse@shaw.ca; 06-04-2015 at 06:27 AM.
katanihouse@shaw.ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 06:27 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by seningen View Post
Clutch slave cylinder.

Mike
Lets hope it's just end broken on cable if not I'll look into this. Thanks.
Old 06-04-2015, 10:06 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by katanihouse@shaw.ca View Post
Did yours work fine sometimes or did it not shift into gear at all? Mine would go into gear if I worked the gears starting 6th down. Now after sitting 7 months it worked fine but I never went past 2nd as I just wanted to move it back home and not get stuck out. Will look under console this weekend hopefully. Thank you for your help!!
Mine worked perfect including driving it to work that morning. Came out of work, started it up and put it into reverse. Backed out of my spot and went to catch first gear and nothing. I was stuck in reverse with a limp shifter ( I hate that ! ). Shifter moved all around with no resistance at all. That's because the cable was no longer hooked up.

2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote