Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2011, 05:08 AM   #21

I'll add that with the wheel width/tire combination, I'd look very closely for signs of rubbing inside and out, as I don't know how you'd get that combo to work. Any signs of rubbing on the fender liners or struts?

Sounds like you truly did purchase the "Boxster from Hell"

PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 10:10 AM   #22

When I got my first car ('67 Parisienne) as a teenager, all I could afford were used tires. Used to get them for $10 each from the local wrecker. Never had two tires the same brand on it the whole time I owned it!
Old 04-15-2011, 04:03 PM   #23

Lets go easy here folks

as the problem isn't used tires. (The set I just took off after 15k miles and not because they were worn out was used by someone else before I bought them. Nothing wrong with used tires that makes them inherently bad as long as they are the right tire and balance out right and aren't aged out. I bought a set of take-offs essentially for the price of the wheels with no idea of the miles the original owner had put on them).
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 06:21 PM   #24

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger
On occasion, I've seem some low mileage thongs like this one come up for sale on ebay .
You're a funny guy, Mr. Danger!! But I must tell you... in South Florida, used tires are all the rage. And trust me, I always buy matching tires - Michelin Pilots. Unfortunately, finding two alike tires with similar wear can be a problem, which is why I have gone between 275/35s, 285/35s and 295/30s.
boxsterfromhell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 06:27 PM   #25

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatta
I'll add that with the wheel width/tire combination, I'd look very closely for signs of rubbing inside and out, as I don't know how you'd get that combo to work. Any signs of rubbing on the fender liners or struts?

Sounds like you truly did purchase the "Boxster from Hell"
LOL!!

The only rubbing I had was with the 295/30s when the car was in the air. When the car hit the ground, however, the wheels and tires pulled away from the suspension. I must admit, the 295/30s from the rear view looked pretty awesome. Unfortunately, those tires had the shortest lifespan!!
Old 04-17-2011, 05:43 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke
as the problem isn't used tires. (The set I just took off after 15k miles and not because they were worn out was used by someone else before I bought them. Nothing wrong with used tires that makes them inherently bad as long as they are the right tire and balance out right and aren't aged out. I bought a set of take-offs essentially for the price of the wheels with no idea of the miles the original owner had put on them).
It's not the problem of used tires. The problem is unknown age & wear pattern. Were they mounted on wheels within proper recommended width? Were they heat cycled often? That's just few of the many problems when you buy used tires. OP didn't state how the tires are worn when they were replaced.

Provided his mechanic with 30 years of service knows what he's doing, I would put my bet on the tires.

ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 04:12 PM   #27

Sorry but I also cannot agree that it is "just" a tyre problem.
If the OP had gone through one or two sets of tyres, then yes, probably due to cheap Chinese jobs with a questionable quality & lifespan. But FIVE sets in as many months??
I would like to see the wear patterns of the worn tyres - that would (should) give some indication to the problem. But I don't think any 1997 Boxster is going to handle very well with 19" wheels on anyway, especially if the larger wheels have caused wheel bearing or structural damage to the rear end as per what Jeff (JFP in PA) says.
If there is any weld or componant breakage to the rear structure, the rear end will move around like a dogs tail. Anyone having ridden a motorcycle with worn out swingarm bearings will know what I mean - feels OK in a straight line, but when you change directions its as loose as a drunken sailor, causing extreme tyre wear......

Last edited by Steve Tinker; 04-17-2011 at 04:15 PM.
Steve Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 04:46 AM   #28

I have 17,s and 19's for my late 97. The original 17's with bridgestones seem to turn in much better and makes the car generally more nimble but the 19's with michelins on seems to make the car feel smoother for some reason, it's hard to explain but it's like you can feel the extra inertia from the larger wheels and it seems to affect the acceleration and de-acceleration too. I actually prefer the 19's, I've also experienced no odd tyre wear even though the 19 inch Michelins' had been fitted to a 996 perviously.

ps check your vin number on your 97, from what i can gather if your's is a late 97 (should have a "W" in the vin number) then your car will be a 98 model as mine is.
jonnycool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 05:41 AM   #29

tire change

I'm due for a tire change on my 2002 Boxster. I'm looking at the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2, I need -17s, anyone here has comments or experience with these tires? I live in South Florida, hot year 'round, don't drive much, but when I do I like to open it up

Thanks,
globaldriver53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:05 PM   #30

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekam
It's not the problem of used tires. The problem is unknown age & wear pattern. Were they mounted on wheels within proper recommended width? Were they heat cycled often? That's just few of the many problems when you buy used tires. OP didn't state how the tires are worn when they were replaced.

Provided his mechanic with 30 years of service knows what he's doing, I would put my bet on the tires.

I have pics of two different sets of tires that wore the same exact way. I just don't know how to post them!! Grrrrr...

The tires wear from the inside out on both sides. Your pic of an over-inflated tire is the best example. However, that many coincidences would be impossible, as each set was installed by different tire stores.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:15 PM   #31

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Tinker
Sorry but I also cannot agree that it is "just" a tyre problem.
If the OP had gone through one or two sets of tyres, then yes, probably due to cheap Chinese jobs with a questionable quality & lifespan. But FIVE sets in as many months??
I would like to see the wear patterns of the worn tyres - that would (should) give some indication to the problem. But I don't think any 1997 Boxster is going to handle very well with 19" wheels on anyway, especially if the larger wheels have caused wheel bearing or structural damage to the rear end as per what Jeff (JFP in PA) says.
If there is any weld or componant breakage to the rear structure, the rear end will move around like a dogs tail. Anyone having ridden a motorcycle with worn out swingarm bearings will know what I mean - feels OK in a straight line, but when you change directions its as loose as a drunken sailor, causing extreme tyre wear......
YES, exactly!! Driving in a straight line is fine (and if I remove my hands from the steering wheel, it remains straight eliminating any poor alignment theories). However, when I change lanes, especially on an uneven highway surface, my steering wheel pulls uncontrollably from side to side. It also feels as if the rear of the car is tilting from side to side. In the rain, it's absolutely terrifying.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:52 PM   #32

Garage
Hi, guys!! Haven't checked in for a few days and appreciate the recent replies.

I called a local Porsche dealership today and spoke with the service manager. We discussed at length the many theories you all have offered up. He suggested that rather than assume the problem lies with the questionable wheel size and/or the usage of used tires there may be frame damage undetectable by the naked eye.

That being said, I will be taking the "Boxster From Hell" to a friend's body shop to be put on a frame rack. I believe it's called a Star-A-Liner. Apparently, it will be a lengthy process, as it measures every aspect of the vehicle and can actually straighten out any sort of accident induced frame damage.

Honestly, I would rather it be a case of the rims being too big, as the thought of what it costs to straighten out a frame makes me wish my mid-life crisis Porsche purchase never transpired!! Well...almost. I truly do love the car

I will report back when I get the results.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:43 AM   #33

If your tires are wearing considerably from the inside out, you may have excessive negative camber. I run neg 2.5 degrees in the rear and do not wear out the tires; however, I put less than 3k miles a year on the car.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:24 PM   #34

Garage
Hello everyone...

Latest update on my car is I STILL HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM!!! Or at least a variation of it.

The car was put on a body alignment machine...it's straight as an arrow.

I replaced a rear control arm and a trailing rod that had supposedly bad ball joints with brand new Porsche parts.

I replaced ALL FOUR tires with NEW...yes NEW Michelin Pilots, 235/35/19 on the front and 275/35/19 in the rear.

Had the wheels balanced. Got a four-wheel alignment.

So now, rather than the rear end squirrel about, the steering wheel takes on a life of it's own when I remove my hands by turning side to side as if a one-eyed drunk driver were behind the wheel!!

I give up!! I love this car and do not want to sell it. I just can't keep throwing money away though... What's going on with this car?? And why can't any of the so-called qualified techs figure it out??
Old 06-06-2011, 09:41 PM   #35

Garage
One more thing...

I had the conical lug bolts removed, and almost all of the heads were shredded. They were the original factory bolts, and were not for the 19' rims that were put on prior to my ownership.

I installed brand new cone lug bolts. The only result is that they look better than the old ones, yet I had the painstaking task of cleaning and painting the holes where the factory bolts scraped.

Just trying to narrow down any and all possibilities regarding the suspension and wheels...
Old 06-06-2011, 10:55 PM   #36

Garage
By the way, I still cannot post pics. However, you posted a photo of a "GT" on 4/20/2011, and those are the same wheels on my car. They were made in Germany and Vertex in Miami sells them for $1,349 each. (Well, not any more, as they have been discontinued.) But the wheel is the Elite Custom Force Design. No spacers. Perhaps I should try a set(?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger
A 10.5 inch wheel is a red flag right there . I'd love to know what the offset is in order to make that wheel fit. Is there a large spacer involved ?

Last edited by boxsterfromhell; 06-06-2011 at 11:01 PM.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:05 AM   #37

Garage
tire pressure?

Read thru the whole post...
never read anywhere about what tire pressures u r
inflating tires to
this might help eliminate one more variable
Chris
Old 06-09-2011, 05:21 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by globaldriver53
I'm due for a tire change on my 2002 Boxster. I'm looking at the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2, I need -17s, anyone here has comments or experience with these tires? I live in South Florida, hot year 'round, don't drive much, but when I do I like to open it up

Thanks,
If money isn't as issue you can't do much better than PS2s. They wear fast, but have great traction and are a bit little narrower compared to other tires of the same size. They are also quit a bit lighter than other tires of the same size.
Dunlop Direzza star specs have similar grip, are cheaper, but noisier and heavier than PS2s. Yoko advan neova 08s are also very good, and very quiet. For a weekend driver you can't go wrong with any of these tires, just depends on what's important to you. I tend to drown out the tire noise with the intake wail so I'm running the Dunlops right now. I just bought a set of CCW classic race wheels from a guy on pelican and can't decide if I'm going with one these three or put on a set Michelin pilot sport cups, which you might consider if you only drive weekends.
Old 06-16-2011, 07:57 AM   #39

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris97boxster
Read thru the whole post...
never read anywhere about what tire pressures u r
inflating tires to
this might help eliminate one more variable
Chris
Tire pressure is fine. I really think that the idiots who put the new front tires on didn't balance them...
Old 07-24-2011, 07:53 AM   #40

This has been an interesting thread and I wonder what is up with the "Boxster From Hell". The OP bought this car because he liked the wheels (mesh), had nothing but trouble from the beginning, went through 5 sets of tires in 5 months, the car handled horrifically in rain or changing lanes, called the Porsche dealer and solicited the forum for advice - but never seemed to have taken the car to an actual Porsche dealer for diagnosis. After all that he still said - "I love this car". We should all be so enamored. I didn't see through the thread (although I could have missed it) if he actually test drove the car or inspected the tires prior to buying. So, what's up BFH?