Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2011, 03:04 PM   #21

you got the bypass pipes ! let me know if they are a ******************** to install and of course how you like them. those things are exspensive for what they are !

jacabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 03:09 PM   #22

I have had them on my car for a while and I also have their high flow cats. I switch back and forth. There not hard to put on or take off. Get new gaskets from the dealer.
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:37 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatta
I have a different situation with the Fabspeed pipes, as far as sound is concerned. I installed a "PSE type" muffler, modified by Oettle Autodienst on my '02 S. I was pleased with the sound, but it still didn't have the bark or tone I wanted. I happened across a pair of slightly used Fabspeed secondary pipes and purchased them quite inexpensively. After installing, the sound of my exhaust was night and day; quite raspy and GT3 like on throttle, but very well demeanored cruising. And as the others stated, I removed a considerable amount of weight. The pipes were definitely worth the expense and time to install.
I have the same setup (Fister/Pedro/"PSE" mod), only with Stebro bypass pipes bought cheap off a lister. It's mellow top up on the highway, but I have to admit it's pretty freeking loud when I jump on it! Awesome GT3 note
navair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 08:46 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacabean
you got the bypass pipes ! let me know if they are a ******************** to install and of course how you like them. those things are exspensive for what they are !
Jacabean, I think I've read that by '03 improvements had been in the exhaust for better sound. But my '01 sounds like a camry. I'm not into raucus loud stuff. I want something where you can drive all day, top up and not get tired of it. Anyways, the Fabspeed bypass sound is subtle. Cruising at frwy speeds it is barely noticeable. Pulling away from stop there is a bit of growl. It quickly dissapears, either because I've reached steady speed or the effect is confined to a prm range, I'm not sure at this point. So far, I'm happy with them.

The install was annoying. First, each tube has 2 O2 ports, but the tubes were supplied with one plug, so I needed to find something 18mm x 1.5 pitch to plug one hole. Not easy to find. I did find something but needed to whip out the hacksaw. Next was the gaskets. Nothing more than a little tinfoil with a cricle stamped in it. Had to go to the dealer for those. Then, a couple studs on the primary cat are bonded to the cat so you have to fetch some 8mm bolts/nuts. Then, the tubes come with no instructions. At this price, these things should be supplied. Once under the car, it initially looked like I was going to have to take off the muffler and/or bumper which was more than I wanted to do. But then I realized after starting in that direction that I didn't have to.

From pictures it might look like for these pipes someone just got some pipe and bent it over their knee, but they are actually 3 pieces welded together, plus flange, O2 bungs, and mandrel bends. Not simple. They are well made and mount easily. Still, if Charlie can make decent $100 headers then...
brp987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 03:07 PM   #25

do you notice any performance gains ? How is the row m030 working out. I can not believe the difference it has made with my car.
jacabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:44 PM   #26

I don't notice a change in performance.

As for the M030, the car is finally at its potential for the first time in the 4 yrs I've owned it. I'd thought about Tarett bump steer pieces and PSS9, but it was just too complicated and expensive.

brp987 is offline   Reply With Quote