Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2011, 02:42 PM   #1

Question Fabspeed Bypass...Worth it??

Hello all, I have been researching the fabspeed 2nd cat bypass pipes. I had their tips on my Cayenne. I know they are really expensive but they do have some nice quality. I have a 00 S and currently have a PSE exhaust and an EVOMS intake. I was curious to hear some feedback on the bypass. Those of you who have it is there much difference. I searched Youtube and the videos up dont seem to have changed it that much, but videos dont often catch what it is like in person. I also searched here and found a few chats but nothing major. I am looking for a tad more sound, not a lot just a little raspier. Thanks for any info.

skibovr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 06:07 PM   #2

Garage
Deleting the secondary cats will reduce weight, as well as improve exhaust flow . Though, not much change as far as sound is concerned .
Old 04-11-2011, 06:30 PM   #3

I would think with your PSE set to full by-pass you should get some nice sound in conjunction with the pipes.

I have a custom by-pass muffler with a much of the exhaust by-passing the muffler especially at high rpm, along with the FAB pipes.

The sound is aggressive but nice. On the throttle it has that GT-3 bark and a Ferrari burble, snap crackle off the throttle. It is loud on the throttle but quites down when you maintain throttle position. I would think the PSE would have a similar sound although it has never been quite clear to me what the actual bypass path is.

Mine doesn't let much flow into the muffler to begin with
Old 04-11-2011, 06:44 PM   #4

Garage
With all due respect, the PSE exhaust has nothing to do with the secondary cats as far as sound is concerned . Again, by eliminately the secondaries, one reduces unnecessary weight, along with some back pressure . There might be a slight change in "note", but overall the sound difference is negligible .
Old 04-11-2011, 07:12 PM   #5

Thanks so much for the info! I will have to do some more research. It may be something I do this summer.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger
With all due respect, the PSE exhaust has nothing to do with the secondary cats as far as sound is concerned . Again, by eliminately the secondaries, one reduces unnecessary weight, along with some back pressure . There might be a slight change in "note", but overall the sound difference is negligible .
Amen to that
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 02:05 AM   #7
Rennzenn

Garage
skibovr6,
I'm in Charlottesville VA and I've done the Fabspeed pipes along with headers and a Borla muffler (along with many other mods). The car is an 00 S, and it is definitely snappier than stock. If you'd like to hear it and go for a ride, I do most of the Shenandoah PCA events along with many of the VMSC and SCCA autocrosses.
Last year I was at Hershey and Fabspeed had a booth. With a bit of negotiation, I'm sure you could get a deal on the pipes. Are they worth it? I think so. They are significantly lighter than the cats, flow waaay better, and open up the sound nicely. I priced the materials a while back, and to get them built with the same materials using mandrel bends, you'd still spend $300 or so.
j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 04:31 AM   #8

I have a different situation with the Fabspeed pipes, as far as sound is concerned. I installed a "PSE type" muffler, modified by Oettle Autodienst on my '02 S. I was pleased with the sound, but it still didn't have the bark or tone I wanted. I happened across a pair of slightly used Fabspeed secondary pipes and purchased them quite inexpensively. After installing, the sound of my exhaust was night and day; quite raspy and GT3 like on throttle, but very well demeanored cruising. And as the others stated, I removed a considerable amount of weight. The pipes were definitely worth the expense and time to install.
Attached Images

PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 04:38 AM   #9

Do the complete Fabspeed exhaust system. I got mine used.

Can't stop driving the car through tunnels.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 04:42 AM   #10

Go ahead and get them along with a BMC air filter. Great results with the PSE.

If you have extra cash, get some TurboWerx headers too. Then the sound is really nice and you will get more power. Love my setup!!

'01 S - Guards Red / Beige - Surrendered - 04.18.12
jwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 05:57 AM   #11

I already have an EVOMS intake on the car. Where do the o2 sensors go after the fabspeed bypass are installed?
Old 04-12-2011, 06:04 AM   #12

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibovr6
I already have an EVOMS intake on the car. Where do the o2 sensors go after the fabspeed bypass are installed?
You can disregard the o2 sensors for the secondary cats. You don't need them .
Old 04-12-2011, 06:10 AM   #13

Hmmm....sound is subjective (an unplanned illiteration) I see!

The O2 sensors on your model should be right in the headers which incorporate the primary cats. The secondary ones are not monitored so there should be no problem.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:30 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay
Hmmm....sound is subjective (an unplanned illiteration) I see!

The O2 sensors on your model should be right in the headers which incorporate the primary cats. The secondary ones are not monitored so there should be no problem.
The secondary sensors are not monitored? If this is true then why are they there for 1? and why have I seen multiple times on here that when you go to replace a bad O2 sensor to replace all 4 at the same time?

Is this true on my 00 S? or?? Can someone explain please?
Thanks
Old 04-12-2011, 11:51 AM   #15

Different model years have different configurations. I have an 00 s and there are no sensors in the secondaries; and no bungs for them. They will still perform a catalytic function irrespective of sensor presence. They are likely there for: emissions control; a back up for the mains; additional emissions reduction.

We would have to ask the designer.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:55 AM   #16

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake D
The secondary sensors are not monitored? If this is true then why are they there for 1? and why have I seen multiple times on here that when you go to replace a bad O2 sensor to replace all 4 at the same time?

Is this true on my 00 S? or?? Can someone explain please?
Thanks
The secondary cats are superfluous. The vehicle's OBD monitors the o2 readings from the header/pre-cats. Someone has given you some bad advice.
Old 06-30-2011, 04:11 AM   #17

I just finished installing the fabspeed catbacks and do notice more power as well as subtle improvement in sound
dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 06:24 AM   #18
Carnut

Installed the bypass pipes, no problem, good fit, good quality! Sound is deeper and a bit louder, like it.
Power has def improved. I have an UD pulley and the TT as well.

IMHO worth it.
Old 07-02-2011, 04:57 AM   #19

i wish there was a set of charlie chan cat delete pipes available
jacabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 02:02 PM   #20

I got one of these Fabspeed bypass things, but no 3-hole triangle gaskets were supplied. When I check Pelican they are not listed. Same at Vertex. How come? Are they not required?

brp987 is offline   Reply With Quote