Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2010, 07:36 PM   #1
2001 RUF 3800S

Is there such thing as a performance intake manifold?

I was just thinking, would there be bigger intake manifold?

Old 02-16-2010, 08:02 PM   #2

I have wondered this myself...
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:07 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by violametallic-S-
I was just thinking, would there be bigger intake manifold?
I believe that you have the RSS and also the Softronic intake plenum options
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 01:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles
I believe that you have the RSS and also the Softronic intake plenum options
I will be recieving my IPD intake plenum tomorrow morning and am shooting to have it installed by the end of this week alongside the enlarged throttle body that is neccesary to run the intake plenum on our vehicles . Upon the successful installation of so, I would be more than happy to share the results with you and everybody else whom is interested in hearing.

I have not come across a 986 Boxster with an enlarged intake manifold but there is a Caymn who opted out in swapping the intake manifold from his 3.4 to a 3.8 X51 setup. I am including the link below.

http://www.planet-9.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=283&cat=4
2003 Porsche Boxster S 3.2L l AASCO Lightweight Flywheel l FVD Brombacher ECU l FVD Brombacher 100 Cell Sport Catalytics l FVD Brombacher Sport Headers l GiroDisc 340mm FR Rotors l IPD Intake Plenum l Litronics l KW Variant 3 Coilovers l Porsche 997 75mm Throttle Body l Road Sport Supply Underdrive Pulley Kit l Sachs Stage 2 Racing Clutch Kit l TechArt Short Shift Kit l TechArt Power Flow Kit l TechArt Sport Exhaust.

Last edited by Cartel; 02-17-2010 at 01:53 PM.
Cartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 04:47 PM   #5
2001 RUF 3800S

Hey Cartel,

Im very interested in the IPD plenum and enlarged throttle body. Can you go into more detail about the throttle body... Where did you get the larger throttle body? How much? and what are the gains?

Also are all IPDs one size? and need a larger throttle body? I heard about others getting the IPD but never having to get a larger throttle body...

thanks alot, i love the sound of that package....
Old 02-17-2010, 06:45 PM   #6

"Holy Project Batman!!" that was done on a Cayman.

Can this really be done on a Boxster 3.2????
Old 02-19-2010, 01:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by violametallic-S-
Hey Cartel,

Im very interested in the IPD plenum and enlarged throttle body. Can you go into more detail about the throttle body... Where did you get the larger throttle body? How much? and what are the gains?

Also are all IPDs one size? and need a larger throttle body? I heard about others getting the IPD but never having to get a larger throttle body...

thanks alot, i love the sound of that package....
The 997 75mm throttle body is needed in order to run the IPD intake plenum for our cars. Albeit other cars running the IPD intake plenum do not need the enlarged throttle body, ours do. I purchased my throttle body from Road Sport Supply, but it is a part that you can purchase from your local Porsche dealership. The part # is 997-605-115-00. Yes, there is only one fitment the 986. At current I am unsure as to the potential gains from this modification but I will put my vehicle on the dyno next week. I will keep you and all else that may be interested in seeing the results. Personally, I am not one for dyno results but it seems to be the standard.

Call Road Sport Supply, 714.432.8815, ask for Bryan and tell him Carlos sent you. It has been an absolute pleasure working with them thus far.
2003 Porsche Boxster S 3.2L l AASCO Lightweight Flywheel l FVD Brombacher ECU l FVD Brombacher 100 Cell Sport Catalytics l FVD Brombacher Sport Headers l GiroDisc 340mm FR Rotors l IPD Intake Plenum l Litronics l KW Variant 3 Coilovers l Porsche 997 75mm Throttle Body l Road Sport Supply Underdrive Pulley Kit l Sachs Stage 2 Racing Clutch Kit l TechArt Short Shift Kit l TechArt Power Flow Kit l TechArt Sport Exhaust.

Last edited by Cartel; 02-19-2010 at 01:55 PM.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:09 PM   #8

stumbled on this thread and was wondering if any dyno testing was completed? I am working with a race team that has done other intake swaps with great success on 996's converted to race duty. I currently have a project for the 986s which I am hoping will yield good results from intake modification.
1986 951
http://www.picvault.info/images/537088217_bugsav.jpg
eclou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 09:08 PM   #9

I think if you really wanted to see gains, the entire intake manifold assembly needs to be changed, and ITBs (individual throttle bodies) would likely be part of that.

It's not just about bigger. It's about airflow, which is made up of velocity and pressure. Bigger is not always better.

I'm very curious about the IPD plenum, but I have my reservations. The basic premise that they use is to smooth the flow of air up that T, which makes perfect sense for a 2.5 car, but it's not quite that simple on a 2.7 or 3.2 (or 3.4, 3.6, 3.8), as you also have the VarioRam secondary cross over pipe (with added butterfly) to consider.

If it were really just a race motor, you'd lose all of the current setup, go with tuned runners (for high RPM power), ITBs and have none of this giant factory setup. The factory has this to add driveability (at the expense of peak power).

I'll be curious to see the results.
Old 04-07-2010, 04:32 AM   #10

yes we are looking at replacing the entire intake, not just the tract from the air filter but all the way to the heads. The intake from the 3.2l 986S was shared with the 2.7l until the 550 special edition which then switched to the 987 style intake. The 987 style intake was also used in the 3.6l 997.

IIRC the 550 was rated 8-16hp higher than the 986s. The 3.2l 987s with improved exhaust then bumped to 280hp. When you compare the 986s intake manifold vs the 987s intake manifold, there are some noticeable differences coming from the heads retrograde to the air filter:

1)intake runner lengths are longer to the heads
2)intake runner volume appears to be larger
3)plenums (not the T piece) appear to have larger volume
4)the T piece has a larger volume (75mm ID) vs 68-63mm mm ID
5)the T piece has a vertical divider in it to split and direct the air flow
6)the throttle body is much larger 75mm vs 68mm
7)the air filter is a oval unit with more surface area vs flat panel
1986 951
http://www.picvault.info/images/537088217_bugsav.jpg
eclou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 05:13 AM   #11

I have the IPD planum with larger throtle body on my 2000 Boxster-S. It works great.
B&M short shifter
IPD Cayman-S Plenum
80mm Throttle Body
FVD Sport Muffler
Fabspeed catbypass
EVO Intake
PSS9
Light flywheel and Sach stage II clutch
Front/Rear Strut Brace
Undetectable K40/3
Rear Defuser
Rear spoiler
kias@tampabay.rr.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 09:10 AM   #12

This is the IPD plenum and larger throttle body on the 3.4L swap that is 99% done.

I do have a 75mm throttle body (stock is 69mm) available now if anyone is interested.
cheetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 10:19 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kias@tampabay.rr.com
I have the IPD planum with larger throtle body on my 2000 Boxster-S. It works great.
Having installed the greater majority of bolt-ons available for my vehicle, it is fair to say without a shadow of a doubt the IPD Intake Plenum/75mm Throttle Body thus far has been the most rewarding purchase of them all. Coupled with my setup, the intake/tb upgrade is my most recent modification and my most favorite. There is a discernible difference and as I told many others via private message, I have never been thrown back into the seat of my car prior to the installation of any single mod nor collectively! I have well over 2,000 with the modifcation and I find myself looking for reasons to drive my vehicle more, when it already is my daily driver. My only complaint is Road Sport Supply not supplying me with a get out of jail free card due to the fact I was arrested the day of flashing my vehicle with FVD Brombacher's software for wreckless driving!

/e I have been hesitant to make a post since the successful installation of the intake/tb plenum due to all the reservations held by many, and having not putting my vehicle on a dynograph to supplement these gains.

Last edited by Cartel; 04-29-2010 at 10:24 AM.
Old 12-01-2013, 05:39 PM   #14

Did anybody think about the 996 3.4 inlet manifold for this?

:-)

Duffy3074 is offline   Reply With Quote