Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2009, 12:44 PM   #21

Close. This is actually an example of AA - "abnormal aspiration"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger
I believe the term "ram induction" was used.

Old 12-31-2009, 01:06 PM   #22

I looked at the msg and immediately though of the word "shill".

I consider spam to be off topic.

Shill is on topic but someone trying to sell you something.

The tone of the message was that to me when I first read it. Seeing the same message on multiple forums on the same day caused me to question the motive of the original poster. Reinforcing that impression is the number of other messages the same poster has posted on other topics. Credibility is built over time.

I don't consider the multiple "handles" a bad sign, some of the finest people use em...happy birthday 1stchoir.

I could be wrong ... just my impression.

$70 per HP for an increase you can't use or fell legally....
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 01:41 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke
I consider spam to be off topic.

Shill is on topic but someone trying to sell you something.

The tone of the message was that to me when I first read it. Seeing the same message on multiple forums on the same day caused me to question the motive of the original poster. Reinforcing that impression is the number of other messages the same poster has posted on other topics. Credibility is built over time.

I don't consider the multiple "handles" a bad sign, some of the finest people use em...happy birthday 1stchoir.

I could be wrong ... just my impression.

$70 per HP for an increase you can't use or fell legally....

Good points Mike. All the best for the New Year.......
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 10:04 AM   #24

Check their dyno vid...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFmLlwKD69w
mebiuspower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 12:00 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by mebiuspower
Does not “prove” anything; made by the manufacturer/distributor and makes claims for 20+ HP increase at the rear wheels. Another dyno test, done by a magazine (assumed to be independent) finds less than half the power increase claimed by the manufacturer/distributor, sees most of it at the extreme RPM’s, and only in combination with multiple other modifications.

With minimal HP or torque improvements, if any, within normal driving RPM, and at a cost of somewhere between $70-140 per gained HP; you are paying a lot for small performance increases in engine speed ranges your car will see less than 1-2% of the time.

Very questionable…………………
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 02:58 PM   #26

It is AMAZING how much of a difference there is between the RSS graph touted on 6speedonline and the one in the magazine test link I posted. Not that the magazine doesn't have an axe to grind, but their results seem obviously cleaner, more objective and more believable.

I don't know about you guys, but $250 for Pedro's mod is fun money territory, something I might try because it's not a huge investment. If it didn't totally meet my expectations, I probably wouldn't bother swapping it back out for stock.

My standards for a $1,000 "investment" are completely different. Plenty of newer owners on here that have paid $10-$20k for their cars, me being one of them. In light of what I spent buying the car, $1k is an awful lot for little real world gain. The best "mod" for me would be to spend the money improving my skills at 3-4 DE events, which is my plan come spring.

Another thing to consider is mods add very little to resale value and may in some cases actually hurt it versus a stock car. You'd better be able to derive full value from that mod yourself because it's most likely all money out the window. I've done the performance mod thing on a couple of previous cars and learned my lesson.

Only when a stock part wears out prematurely or doesn't provide the kind of longevity I expect (i.e. certain suspension parts) will I consider a mod replacement and there's only a certain premium I'm willing to pay.

gschotland is offline   Reply With Quote