View Single Post
Old 12-30-2009, 09:48 AM   #4
Topless
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatta
Very interesting write-up. Seems providing more air could be a good thing, as long as the ECU knows what to do with it and you have an exhaust that lets the air flow through the system.

Any experts out there that wish to comment? Has Jake Raby tried the larger plenum on his engines?
Good points jmatta,

I am certainly no expert. Just an old hot-rodder who has tuned a lot of cars and bikes. In my experience tuning an intake is a balance between air volume, air velocity, and intake resonant frequency. If you get these things right you are rewarded with faster lap times.

Also you need to consider your goals. A 1/4 mile car may want to maximize hp near redline to improve top speed through the trap. A road race car may choose to maximize a wide torque curve for better corner exit speed. These two intakes would probably look very different. Bigger isn't always better depending on your end goals.

The IPD plenum and the Pedro Techno-torque are interesting because they appear to improve intake velocity. Any time you can reduce or eliminate flat surfaces or right angles tends to improve velocity. The proof is found in measurable results. Improved dyno curves are good, faster lap times are better.

Would I use one on my car ? Nope. I compete in a spec class which requires stock intakes. But I do find these designs interesting.