Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2010, 04:06 PM   #21

On a side note, if anyone is interested in a rear base M030 19.6mm bar, I have one available.

Some stuff for sale: M030 S 24mm front sway bar, M030 base 19.6mm rear sway bar, 996 GT3 OEM Porsche Motorsport front strut mounts monoball "camber plates"

WTB: looking for some 5-7mm spacers with extended bolts
chaudanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 05:13 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaudanova
Insite, thanks for the feedback and information...

Curious, have you played with the Tarett rear bar at all, or any feedback between that versus the H&R rear?

Also, regarding the different side settings. I definitely learned something today regarding the overall torque on the bars as you discussed. Theoretically, assuming a bar had an even split spread between settings, for example on a 5-setting bar..would running the L/R sides on a middle setting then be the same overall as running one side on full soft, and one side on full stiff? Just curious about the science behind it all.
I think if you examined the suspension as one side moving up and down while the other side is held, then the difference in the attachment point changes the piviting point as thus the force per angle change in the sway is different.

another way to look at it is if you can remove the springs, then moving one side up and down will induce different vertical motion on the other side. not good.

as for figure of merit on sway bars, I called Tarett and they sent me a table comparing GT3 front and Tarett back versus standard, standard S, M030 and m030 S sway bars as function of drop link attachment points .
sb01box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 09:58 PM   #23

Thanks for the description insite....what I am getting is that the more roll control you have the more weight goes to the outside wheel thus using more and more of the available traction resulting in oversteer.....not sure I understand how throttle will control this as you over load the outside rear more as the weight transfers back althought this common knowledge

Last edited by jaykay; 06-20-2010 at 12:09 PM.
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 08:29 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb01box
as for figure of merit on sway bars, I called Tarett and they sent me a table comparing GT3 front and Tarett back versus standard, standard S, M030 and m030 S sway bars as function of drop link attachment points .
Can you post that table here?
Old 06-20-2010, 12:20 PM   #25

There's a fine line between too much power and too little! It also depends on how much torque is available at the rear tires, first gear will have lots, 4th, not so much.

Applying power shifts weight to the rear, adding grip. But nothing is free, acceleration reduces grip available for cornering (lateral acceleration), too much can create "power oversteer". Conversely, if you lift off of the throttle, or apply the brakes, weight (and grip) will shift to the front tires, also causing oversteer.

So, if you get loose while cornering, either maintain your throttle position and counter-steer to correct, or if needed reduce power slightly while still maintaining positive throttle.
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 01:10 PM   #26

Not sure if this is the same chart that sb01box has or not, but I'll post the one I have...

Here ya go!

Some stuff for sale: M030 S 24mm front sway bar, M030 base 19.6mm rear sway bar, 996 GT3 OEM Porsche Motorsport front strut mounts monoball "camber plates"

WTB: looking for some 5-7mm spacers with extended bolts
chaudanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 02:09 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaudanova
Not sure if this is the same chart that sb01box has or not, but I'll post the one I have...

Here ya go!
Yes, the same.
sb01box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 05:16 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen wilson
There's a fine line between too much power and too little! It also depends on how much torque is available at the rear tires, first gear will have lots, 4th, not so much.

Applying power shifts weight to the rear, adding grip. But nothing is free, acceleration reduces grip available for cornering (lateral acceleration), too much can create "power oversteer". Conversely, if you lift off of the throttle, or apply the brakes, weight (and grip) will shift to the front tires, also causing oversteer.

So, if you get loose while cornering, either maintain your throttle position and counter-steer to correct, or if needed reduce power slightly while still maintaining positive throttle.
Thanks Stephen......this is great and make sense. I guess It all depends what envelope you analyze.....in this case small throttle changes are in order.............I have over counter steered and reduced throttle drastically on occasion and found myself in a fishtail......very hard to get out of at speed in the wet...
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 05:55 AM   #29

Thanks chaudanova, that is great info!
Old 06-21-2010, 12:14 PM   #30

Yeah, big steering corrections + chopping the throttle = excitement! ( in a bad way)

I'm not sure about an S, but with a base Box you can be pretty heavy on the gas while cornering once you're out of 1st gear, were not talking V8 torque here!

stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote