Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2009, 10:34 AM   #21

Garage
I use a pressure washer and try to avoid a direct blast to the alternator. All other electrical connections are sealed. The big thing is to not spray the inside of your car, hang a plastic sheet to prevent the dust and dirt from getting all over things.

I spray all my engines down and never have had a problem, I'm sure someone will say, "Never spray your engine". Trust me, you'll be fine. One thing though, after your done use a spot free rinse so it doesn't look like crap when it dries.

Old 09-21-2009, 11:47 AM   #22

yea, I was already thinking about a cheap tarp from walmart to prevent the overspray into the cabin. Thanks jax.
texomawaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 01:32 PM   #23

Air Filter

Air filter at O'reillys for a 2000 is $25 or so. Piece for cake to replace.
conseco_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 07:50 PM   #24

I never change mine.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:30 AM   #25

2K3, shouldn't that be more of a confession vs. a statement?

Dirty/clogged air filters not only harm fuel economy, they can starve the motor for air and that's not good.

I change my air filters in the box once a year (with every oil change).

I'm not concerned about the fuel economy nearly as much as I want to treat my motor to big gulps of fresh, filtered air so I can keep it happy for many, many years. :dance:

So, I change my air filter and pollen filter annually with the oil change. Since the air filter is only changed once per calendar year, I don't mind spending ten bucks more on a factory filter vs. an oil-based aftermarket unit.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:36 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
2K3, shouldn't that be more of a confession vs. a statement?

Dirty/clogged air filters not only harm fuel economy, they can starve the motor for air and that's not good.

I change my air filters in the box once a year (with every oil change).

I'm not concerned about the fuel economy nearly as much as I want to treat my motor to big gulps of fresh, filtered air so I can keep it happy for many, many years. :dance:

So, I change my air filter and pollen filter annually with the oil change. Since the air filter is only changed once per calendar year, I don't mind spending ten bucks more on a factory filter vs. an oil-based aftermarket unit.
I have yet to find a filter that flows more than a K&N. (i do clean it, just not change it ) Run them in every car I own.