Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2009, 05:54 AM   #1

Boxster air filter

I'm a newbie here... bought my first Porsche (98 Boxster) one week ago. Yes I'm very excited and wow, do I have a lot to learn. I've had the oil, tires, brakes, etc etc maintenanced. But Damn... where is the air filter? I'm an experienced shade tree mechanic and this car has me starting from basic 101 Thanks! Chris

texomawaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 06:26 AM   #2

Under the fron trunk--Nope, In the rear trunk--Nope, Under the engine cover, under the compartment, under the carpet, in the airbox on the drivers side--YUP! Two little tabs on the sides of the air box that bend out and the you slip/pull the air filter housing up and there you have it. I recommend a BMC drop in filter. Good Luck and welcome.
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 06:29 AM   #3

It's in the engine compartment - there are good instructions available here on how to do the job:

http://www.dietersmotorsports.com/tech/2003/6-2003.htm

Accessing the engine is pretty easy after you have done it once or twice.

Good luck!
TMM986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 06:34 AM   #4

First Time Jitters

I also have a '98 and the first time I changed the air filter on the engine it was pretty scary actually. You have to remove the carpet over the engine, then the insulated engine cover, etc, etc.
If you are having a problem you can PM me and I'll give you a call and we can walk through it while standing by the cars.
schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 07:47 AM   #5

I'm going to check it out tonight. I suspect the filter is going to be filthy. Thank you all, and the info is greatly appreciated! I'll return the favor to other newbies some day.

Old 09-17-2009, 10:34 AM   #6

Assuming I'm going to need a replacement filter I went to AutoZone, O'Reilleys, and Volkswagen. 3 strikes! VW said they'd need a part# to cross reference... which I figured they'd probably sell me one whether it was the right one or not.

I guess I'll head over to Porsche and bend over. Any other places that might carry Boxster air filters?

Old 09-17-2009, 10:40 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by texomawaves
Assuming I'm going to need a replacement filter I went to AutoZone, O'Reilleys, and Volkswagen. 3 strikes! VW said they'd need a part# to cross reference... which I figured they'd probably sell me one whether it was the right one or not.

I guess I'll head over to Porsche and bend over. Any other places that might carry Boxster air filters?

I bought a BMC filter at www.eagleday.com or try www.pelicanparts.com I'm sure they have OEM filters as well if you want that.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 10:41 AM   #8
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Here you can order the filter:

http://www.e-partssales.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=P&Product_Code=AirFilters987986&Category_Code=986maint

Here's how to replace the filter: http://www.realtime.net/%7Erentner/Blog/B600322026/C1958058114/E765092039/index.html

Quote:

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 11:01 AM   #9

Or you can buy it from Fleetfilter.com for $16.00
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 11:11 AM   #10

Easier

Or, you could call a couple of car parts stores locally and find one. I got my last one at the local Advance Auto parts. They carried three different brands.
schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 11:20 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnellman
Or, you could call a couple of car parts stores locally and find one. I got my last one at the local Advance Auto parts. They carried three different brands.
They had the correct air filter at Advance Auto in stock? Man those guys are good. I got an oil filter from them once for the boxster. It worked like a charm was just like the Mahle and OEM units.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:47 PM   #12

Garage
If you like the oil impregnated type, K&N, you can order those also from Auto Zone for the same comparable price as an OEM paper filter.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:53 PM   #13
onshore

AC Filter

Quote:
I'm a newbie here... bought my first Porsche (98 Boxster) one week ago. Yes I'm very excited and wow, do I have a lot to learn. I've had the oil, tires, brakes, etc etc maintenanced. But Damn... where is the air filter? I'm an experienced shade tree mechanic and this car has me starting from basic 101 Thanks! Chris
While you're changing filters check out your AC filter in the front of the car by the battery. I can almost guarantee you it has not been changed either. Once you remove the cover that shrouds the battery you should see it and there is a drain there that collects leaves and debris you will want to clear it as it can cause you grief if it's plugged and the compartment fills with water.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:04 PM   #14

Avoid the oil-based air filters. They'll foul your MAF and that will cost you $$$.

The front AC pollen filter is pricey. Get the cheaper of the two available.

I get my filters from Sunset Porsche in Oregon. Quite reasonable.

And texomawaves, you'd do well to buy a factory user's manual for your car or a Bentley repair manual, both of which outline this and many other important things about your newish car.

Enjoy your ride!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 06:15 PM   #15

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Avoid the oil-based air filters. They'll foul your MAF and that will cost you $$$.
The front AC pollen filter is pricey. Get the cheaper of the two available.

I get my filters from Sunset Porsche in Oregon. Quite reasonable.

And texomawaves, you'd do well to buy a factory user's manual for your car or a Bentley repair manual, both of which outline this and many other important things about your newish car.

Enjoy your ride!

A properly maintained and serviced filter WILL NOT foul your MAF. In the long run you'll save money. Also, be careful when walking near the edge of world, you might fall off.
Old 09-18-2009, 04:32 AM   #16

Evidently, "properly maintaining and oiling the filter" isn't as straightforward due to the amazing number of forum members who have replaced their MAF's due to overoiling those filters.

Why not just avoid them altogether since there are so many alternatives that have no potential for harming an expensive part?

That's my point.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 06:20 AM   #17

I agree; if you are unable to follow instructions, do not get an "oil type" filter. However, I've run the Evo Hi-Flo cone filter on my car for over four years, without issue. I wouldn't pass up the sound the intake makes. But don't over oil; this is what leads to problems owners have experienced and they blame the filter, not themselves.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 06:23 AM   #18

Oh come on guys, let's not start this again about paper vs cotton air filters. Neither of you are going to change each others minds. Lets just agree to disagree!
Old 09-21-2009, 05:33 AM   #19

Well, I figured how to get access to the engine (and air filter), piece of cake!! Thanks again guys. The filter had a date of June 1998, holy crap!!!!!! So instead of ordering and waiting, I immediately ran to the Porsche dealership ($42.50 + tax). I'm getting 28mpg hwy, and 22 in the city (tiptronic). I'll inspect the ac filters tonight. I'm sure they are another archeological discovery.

I sure hate a dirty looking engine. Do you guys advise one way or the other spraying down the engine at a car wash? Of course putting water on a hot anything is bad... maybe I let it cool. Any issues with the ignition getting wet and not being able to start it?
Old 09-21-2009, 06:45 AM   #20

Quote:
Well, I figured how to get access to the engine (and air filter), piece of cake!! Thanks again guys. The filter had a date of June 1998, holy crap!!!!!! So instead of ordering and waiting, I immediately ran to the Porsche dealership ($42.50 + tax). I'm getting 28mpg hwy, and 22 in the city (tiptronic). I'll inspect the ac filters tonight. I'm sure they are another archeological discovery.

I sure hate a dirty looking engine. Do you guys advise one way or the other spraying down the engine at a car wash? Of course putting water on a hot anything is bad... maybe I let it cool. Any issues with the ignition getting wet and not being able to start it?
Some people hose down the engine, but if I was going to clean the engine I would just take a damp rag with soapy water or maybe a mild detergent/cleaner like simple green and wipe it clean.