Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2005, 05:34 AM   #21

Send a message via AIM to YellowJacket
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceBox
Nor will I point out that 22 is a tiny hop from 16, and in no way speaks to any greater degree of wisdom or skill.
Maybe you should think through people's responses before you criticize. Take mine, for example:

He asked how to make his Boxster faster. I agreed with others than the best way to make his Boxster faster is to learn how to push it to its limits from professionals. Not out of line, I wouldn't say.

Then he asked about tires. I pointed out that while normally I would recommend Pilot Sports, based on my experience being 16 years old, showing off to friends, and racing down back roads, I would not want to suggest that he spend a ton on tires. Not unreasonable, either.

As for your comment about 22 being a tiny hop from 16, I agree. But my point is that there MIGHT POSSIBLY be a slight chance, based on my PERSONAL experience (and aren't these questions a request for personal experience, anyway?) that he's going to burn more unnecessary rubber in the school parking lot after football practice, than I do in the company parking deck after crunching numbers all day. So however small or large of a "hop" 22 is from 16, I think there was a difference in the way I drove my car then and the way I do now. And that's not to look down on it; had I the chance to go do donuts in the high school parking lot at 16 years old to the amusement of all my friends, I would do it all over again!

Not meaning to tear your post apart -- but you might want to think about the comments you are criticizing before you go out of your way to tell us all we're wrong.

YellowJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 06:05 AM   #22

You know when I bought it they had a silver split window for sale for about $200 more. I really only had the money I paid for the convertible and was going to owe my Mom for the fees etc.

Moreover, it was summer and you know, having the top down really did make it seem way better than having the coupe.

It was only years later that collectors decided that they had to have the split window!

Go figure.

Re: our new member, I say, to have a Box at 16 is might y awesome indeed.!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
Especially if it was a split window coup. Doh!
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 06:22 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
Re: our new member, I say, to have a Box at 16 is might y awesome indeed.!
Yeah, he will certainly have no problem with the girls at his high school! Unlike I, who had to convince even my GIRLFRIEND at the time that my 1986 535i was in fact a BMW, and not a Volvo as she kept calling it.
Old 02-23-2005, 06:30 AM   #24

Skipping one's age in a question like that assumes the person composing the message knows that most everyone else on this list is 30-50 years old and JEALOUS!!! I'm more than happy to confess this in print and take full ownership of it!

Woboxster, just know that we're all very happy for you. I'll work very hard at showing you the respect you deserve as a fellow Boxster driver.

Please humor us though as we work at it though... you must understand that a guy like me saved every extra dollar for 12 long years to buy a 1997 Boxster in rough shape. When my elderly parents gave me $50 for my 40th birthday two years ago, it went right into the Porsche fund. My first car was a $400 '72 Toyota Corona Deluxe, which was a piece of crap 4 door with a 4 cylinder and an automatic transmission on the column...I'm sure you can see why we're a bit envious or jealous.

I'm sure many of the members of this forum could tell similar stories. In our 40's we're just now living a car dream that you've attained much earlier in life and that's a hard pill for us all to swallow.

Welcome to the forum, and you are indeed welcome, despite the long initiation!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 07:09 AM   #25

So true! My first car in high school was a 1962 Rambler, w/3-speed, & a 192 Cu. in. 6-cylinder, pink to boot (luckily mostly faded to a kind of beige). I was embarrassed to drive in the car myself (let alone convince anyone else to) but it was either that or buy a new "racing" (10-speed) bike for the $125 I had at the time. I chose being dry and getting where I needed to go in a solid shape car. At least it lasted most of the way through college (and kept generating cash before I got rid of it for parts - long story).
Old 02-23-2005, 07:15 AM   #26

Send a message via AIM to Richard Truss
Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowJacket
But my point is that there MIGHT POSSIBLY be a slight chance, based on my PERSONAL experience (and aren't these questions a request for personal experience, anyway?) that he's going to burn more unnecessary rubber in the school parking lot after football practice, than I do in the company parking deck after crunching numbers all day.
is anyone burning rubber in a 2.5? If I even attempt it, I wind up glazing the chutch.... although i can break the back tires loose in a corner.
Old 02-23-2005, 07:21 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Truss
is anyone burning rubber in a 2.5? If I even attempt it, I wind up glazing the chutch.... although i can break the back tires loose in a corner.
lol, you're absolutely right. Those 255's don't like to break loose for anything shy of a redline 1-2 shift in the middle of a hard corner.
Old 02-23-2005, 08:41 AM   #28

Just something I wanted to add to my old post. What I think would provide the best Hp bang for the buck, for under 2k would be to get your car chipped. have it tuned. You should see a pretty nice increase from that and shouldnt cost you more then 1500 depening who does it for you.
Old 02-23-2005, 10:16 AM   #29

Does anyone realise that the kid who started this thread has not replied to anything? We've hijacked his post

Well, I certainly didn't know how to appreciate a car at 16. I just wanted to be cool and go fast. Oh well, with age comes ... sanity?
Old 02-23-2005, 11:11 AM   #30

i had noticed that myself. its like he told his friends "i bet i know how to get a bunch of old porsche guy's panties in a wad..... watch this."

we are so sad.
Old 02-23-2005, 05:28 PM   #31

LOL^ So true. Hey kid, come back. These guys aren't so bad after you get to know them.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 06:32 PM   #32

Is Humor dead here?

I did not realize that we are so politically correct here or that our underwears are so tight that you can have clean fun with a rookie. My state of mind and brain power are well thank you and don't worry about a typo here and there since English is not my first language but mispelling in french is irrelevant to me. So no offence is taken. I thought my comments were innocuous and not deragotory to the young man. Obviously the pc committee opines differently. :ah:
Pilot2519j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 06:39 PM   #33

Talking

It is ALL good. Lets remember, it is about THE Car!

I think all you guys are great.

Drive on!
Old 02-23-2005, 07:04 PM   #34

Talking

Pilot,

I actually think that most of us are more than jealous that there was no way that we could have owned our own Boxsters at 16. Quite frankly, I say, more power to him. I wish I had a P-car when I was younger. It does seem to bring up an interesting point that I've wondered myself... I've always wanted a Porsche. Now that I have one... whats next? Once I get to the 911s, what next?

I don't think anyone was flaming you pilot. I certainly wasn't.

"Move along, nothing to see here..."
Old 02-23-2005, 08:10 PM   #35

Cool

After the 911 Carrera then you got to go for the Gt3 Johnny. I'd rather have one of those in my garage than a Turbo. How can you go wrong with turbo like acceleration and a 8,200 redline. Not to mention reflexes like a like a scared cat
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 08:55 PM   #36

completely digressing from the original post, but i have to say a 993 (cab and/or turbo) and a 968 added to my stable would see a grin that a crowbar could not pry away. after that? well, a prancing horse or two sure would compliment the german-heavy landscape. say what you want, they are fantastic cars.

being that im 36, i think the 993 and the 968 are in my future. the italian stallion? god, i only hope.
Old 02-24-2005, 01:06 AM   #37
Crazed P-Car enthusiast

Pilot, I wasn't in any way suggesting a move to political correctness, as anyone who knows me would attest. Perhaps I wasn't very clear, so I'll summerize: I think people should answer the main thrust of the post. He didn't ask how anyone drove when they were 16, he asked for cheap hp ideas. I re-read all the posts, and frankly veiled jealousy isn't really humour. Then again, humour is to a degree subjective so whatever floats your boat. Personally I think a car priced in the Boxsters' range, with the used market and all, will see owners from many walks of life and many tax-brackets and age groups. Only RandelN was prepared to be honest, and saying a 16 yr old is damn lucky to own a Boxster...well the same could be said for a 22yr old. And at 16 I don't recall doing donuts in the parking lot to ammuse my friends. Which would lead me to believe Yello and I drove quite differently at that age. And it's an irrelevent observation at any rate, as the question was about cheap hp gains, not how do I impress my pals in the parking lot. I don't think it's PC to avoid stereo-typing someone based solely on their age or on an individual's own experiences. That comes off as kinda arrogant! "I did it so everyone would do it". Anyway, my point is just answer the question if you have an answer. I hope I never see a response to one of my questions with "Boy what a dumb question...when I was 38 I knew all about..." And Yellow, this is just MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE, and JUST MAYBE I've learned a thing or two about speaking before I think...Read my post again and you'll find out what I mean...in the interim "Physician, heal thyself"
Old 02-24-2005, 05:52 AM   #38

Pluralitas non est ponenda sine neccesitate

I am aero engineer in construction which is all about accomplishing tasks and get it done in a 20 atmosphere pressure cooker type day. No psycho babble for me. I am deeply happy for the youngster to have his P car and there is no veiled envy or jeaulosy of any kind. I am impressed that someone that young is appreciative of a Boxster let alone wanting to do all the things he wants to accomplish. That was the genesis of my comment or what floated my boat at that particular tide.
May I make a suggestion for the future:
Pluralitas non est ponenda sine neccesitate . who needs french anyway?
Pilot2519j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 06:06 AM   #39

"who needs french anyway?"

Not many apparently. Do they still make cars anyway?

Old 02-24-2005, 06:23 AM   #40

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
"who needs french anyway?"

Not many apparently. Do they still make cars anyway?

What a caricature! Let me take the defense of the constantly-bashed-French. Yes, they still do make cars. UK car industry is practically non-existent today (Rover? Jaguar? Rolls? Bentley? talk to the Germans...), but yes, go ahead, bash the French who had their most successful year in 2004. Renault controls Nissan for example since 1999.

The combined production of Renault and Nissan today represents over 9% of the global market, at over 5 million vehicles a year. The Alliance is one of the top five carmakers in the world, with its five brands: Nissan and Infiniti for the Nissan group; Renault, Dacia and Samsung for the Renault group.
UNQUOTE

You can dislike their cars (and so do I), and you might think that they are not existent because they are not on US roads anymore...but surely, the humorous statement from above is not supported by facts, but by something more down the line of a widely accepted and politically tainted French bashing "fashion", which, as a European I find quite unfortunate, especially when it is coming from the site owner.

Jeannot is offline   Reply With Quote