Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2010, 07:11 PM   #21
Crazy Austrian

Garage
Here is something you dont want to overlook. your serpentine belt. depending on how hard you drive your car you might want to replace it between 40-50k . the belt only costs $10.00 , I do my own so I dont know what the mech will charge you but it cant be much, push both your seats forward, remove carpet remove 8 ors 10mm bolt and 2 nuts and there is your belt - a 24mm box wrench and you can release the tensioner and install the belt. my 2c

Old 08-15-2010, 08:45 AM   #22

I read this thread with interest, as I recently purchased a 2000 Boxster which is about to turn 30,000. I'm curious what you guys would recommend having done on a car that has no service records. The previous owner replaced an engine mount and an oxygen sensor, and put in Mobil I at 25,000, but that's all I know about the car. Many thanks in advance for your input.
BassMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 10:39 AM   #23
Crazy Austrian

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassMD
I read this thread with interest, as I recently purchased a 2000 Boxster which is about to turn 30,000. I'm curious what you guys would recommend having done on a car that has no service records. The previous owner replaced an engine mount and an oxygen sensor, and put in Mobil I at 25,000, but that's all I know about the car. Many thanks in advance for your input.
I believe jacksonalden spelled it out pretty good on page 1 of this thread :dance:
Old 07-17-2012, 06:33 PM   #24

Plugs

I just did my plugs, used Bosch 7413. I have 30k miles, dealer wanted some obscene 4 digit number. Bought plugs for 65, 3 hrs labor. Very easy. Only challenge was putting the light and my fingers on one bolt drivers side at the same time. Unplug O2 sensors and unbolt bracket makes light work of the forward plugs.

I feel like the car idles more smoothly and is smoother out to redline. Seat of pants measure only but worth 60 bucks.
stavinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 08:08 PM   #25
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassMD View Post
On a car with no service records, just do any previous major service that was required to make sure that its "caught up". In your case, I'd change the oil immediately and then all you should need is the standard 30K service when you get there (and follow the standard intervals from there on out). My car had 82,000 miles when I bought it so the first thing that I did was the 60K major service (in case that was skipped) and then got back on the standard maintenance schedule at 90,000 miles. Of course, oil changes should still be done at whatever interval you like but probably shorter than the factory 15,000 interval (I change my oil every 5,000 miles).

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote