Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2009, 01:20 AM   #21

"More performance can be found, but not without the application of an optimized package, most everything I have tried has reduced performance, made a lot of noise, burned a lot of gas and killed efficiency."

Like others have said, its great to have you on board getting some solid data for our engines. I did a couple of dyno pulls with several mufflers I tried before I setteled on my Dansk unit. I was was shocked to see that I lost HP with two of them.

That was really not in my mindset, they made lots of noise and supposedly had high flow rates. I did pick up a little HP with my current exhaust system, but like Jake says, it effected my gas efficiency. Before my exhaust system mods I was getting up to 29.5 mpg on the highway with cruise control at 70 mph, with my current exhaust it is closer to 28.0 mpg. We live and we learn....

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 02:35 PM   #22

[QUOTE=Jake Raby]

Thus far I have only seen ONE performance exhaust that makes LESS power than the OE 3.2 muffler on a bone stock engine... The investigation work is ongoing as we work to make changes to the muffler internals to gain more power. The stock muffler has proven it's self and when I figure out how to best post all of my data this will be clear.

QUOTE]

Now this is real scientific findings, not cheap/half baked subjective guesswork..Otherwise, we'll all get suckered in buying shady aftermarket pieces, modifications without real optimized gains...aside from the loud noise...LOL
Keep up the good work, Jake!
spine911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 04:00 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekam
See my post below....Alot of cash for relatively mild gains.

Fabspeed rundown

'01 S - Guards Red / Beige - Surrendered - 04.18.12
jwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 05:53 PM   #24

It will be smarter for you to sell your base Boxster and buy a 2000 Boxster S for like 15K.

Makes a real 33 more HP and low end-mid range torque you can really feel.

The price difference will set you back the same as a full blown Fabspeed exhaust system and the difference in how the car FEELS from the seat of your pants is going to be dramatically different.

0.5L of displacement is hard to miss.

Sell your car for 12.5K, buy a Boxster S for 15K.

Makes sense to me.
Jacques79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 06:36 AM   #25

3.6L Exhaust Development

Jake, do you have any data or have you done development work on headers for your 3.2 to 3.6L converstions. If my 2.7L dies and I go to a 3.6L I will definately need headers tuned to the 3.6L engine.

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 09:57 AM   #26
Engine Surgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by edevlin
Jake, do you have any data or have you done development work on headers for your 3.2 to 3.6L converstions. If my 2.7L dies and I go to a 3.6L I will definately need headers tuned to the 3.6L engine.

Ed

We have been gathering this for a while but should be done after the next two 3.2>>3.6 engines are completed and tested over the next month or so.

When offering something as outside the box for the engine we have to also tune the intake and exhaust side of things to meet the requirements of the design changes.

To date the off the shelf offerings have been working well, but we know there is more to be found with specific developments.
Jake Raby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 08:45 PM   #27

an updates for us jake? when you get a chance can you post some of your specs for your upgraded engines and email me a price list on your engine offerings thanks
dirtyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 06:06 AM   #28

His prices are on his site

www.flat6innovations.com
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:50 AM   #29
Engine Surgeon

I haven't been online much lately.. Big developments here that you'll like are coming from it!

Every engine we create is fully upgraded.. There are lots of variables like the condition of your core, if you want us to install the engine, what stage of tuning you want, bolt ons and etc.. The best way to get a price is via a phone conversation, honestly..
Jake Raby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 11:01 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Raby
Lots of things happen when a 3rd party is able to test these components... My primary goal was to investigate the best bolt ons for our much larger engines, like the 3.6 big bore that starts life as a 3.2

From what I have seen the 2.5 has a ton of capability for added performance, more so than any other engine in stock form. We are now at over 200RWHP from an internally bone stock 2.5 and guess what, the car is fastest with the stock muffler.

The .7 hasn't seen as much effort from my crew yet, but it comes next.
I have put over 100 dyno pulls on a 3.2S in the past 10 days and my results rival that of the fabspeed page posted below. Up to 234HP, after that the variables are introduced that do not allow absolute comparison.

Thus far I have only seen ONE performance exhaust that makes LESS power than the OE 3.2 muffler on a bone stock engine... The investigation work is ongoing as we work to make changes to the muffler internals to gain more power. The stock muffler has proven it's self and when I figure out how to best post all of my data this will be clear.

Its more than dyno graphs, thing about 28 channels of OBDII/analog data including DB readings, harmonics, fuel economy and both 0-60 and 40-80 MPH tests.

I'll be testing our ECU flashes with the data logger employed in our 2.5 test car at Road Atlanta soon.. Meaning I'll throw my best driver in the car all day and he'll put 4-5 laps on each flash, we'll then pull in the hot pit, rip out a file and replace it then start the data logger again taking notes time after time. It takes a mix of dyno data and practical application to fully develop a product and thats been my specialty.

I don't want to say too much right now... Heck I even have my wife critiquing the different exhaust systems... So far all I see is a lot of hype, lots of noise and not much in the way of real development...
hi jake,

what mods have you done to the 2.5 to achieve 200rwhp?
dsisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 11:25 AM   #31

i've given up on getting an exhaust. honestly, I have plugged the bypass pipes on my Pedro muffler... so it's back to a stock sound. I like it better, and honestlly almost thought it seemed to have more low end torque?? maybe that's just in my head.. dunno..

i like the sound bettter. quieter..but better to me.

the plugs are removable so if/when I want to make it loud I just remove them.

i'm enjoying the car for what it is...and if/when I decide I need more power,, i'll just sell it and get a newer/bigger engined boxster.

funny how one can get used to something and then want to change it...but all along it is perfectly fine. I took my teenage nephew for a ride in teh boxster recently, with the stock exhasut - and he kept saying how cool it sounded !!

2006 RL - My daily driver
2000 Boxster - Ocean Blue Base 5spd on Black Full leather. 18" wheels and M030.

Boxster mods I've added: Rear speaker kit, Painted Calipers, Painted Bumperettes, Painted Center Console, 987 Shifter Assembly, 3 Spoke Steering Wheel, Clear side markers, 03+ rear lights, de-snorkeled.
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote