Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2010, 08:08 PM   #1

Serpentine Belt Replacement

2000 Boxster S, 36,000 miles. Since car is 10 years old any recommendations for serpentine belt replacement? Replacing is not called for for many more miles but I wonder about the age of the belt even though mileage is low. Thanks

dennist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 08:14 AM   #2

Age could be a factor in deterioration of the belt and it wouldn't hurt to change it. You could inspect it and see if there are any small cracks or other signs of wear and decide based on that. The old one is probably just fine, but.........I changed mine at about 9 yrs with about 60K miles on the odo. The old belt looked pefectly good with no visible signs of wear. But just to be safe I changed it anyway. It's a relatively easy and cheap proactive fix...2 or so on a 1-10. Be sure you have a diagram of the routing, or draw one, before you remove the old one, since it can be confusing when you're putting on the new one. I keep the old on in the front trunk "just in case".

Bob
7/15 mm spacers
Deambered
Desnorked
SS door sills
Debadged
Clear tails
Technobrace
Technobra
I'll never own another black car!
Bob O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 08:42 AM   #3

Belt

I have an 01s with 31k and I have not replaced mine but likely will as it is good cheap insurance.

Buy a Porsche OE belt or if you have to a gates replacement. Apparently the Conti belts are quite hard and are prone to snapping. Dont want to replace with something worse.

smcgeary is offline   Reply With Quote