View Single Post
Old 02-27-2009, 01:22 PM   #1
23109VC

Any REAL gains to mod exhaust on a 2.7??

I have read piles of threads on this site after searching for exhaust, headers, etc....

some people say they got 20hp, some say they got only 5 from a full blown exhaust. one issue is that there are 2.5s, 2.7s, and S models with the 3.2.

some people went totally catless and changed software, some did just a header, or just a secondary cat bypass, some did only the muffler...

I'm wondering if on a smaller engine, like my 2.7L, if I would gain hardly any power at all given the motor only makes 217 to start with?

If I were to add either a header, secondary cat bypass pipes, or a muffler - would I really get any more power out of my car?

If I would only get 5-10 hp, given the costs - it seems like it's not worth it.

** I live in CA - so when you factor in the smog nazis / emissions testing - any removal/change of that FRONT header is going to potentially create problems. if the smog guy sees it and knows it's not OEM you fail. end of story. they might not see it as the exhaust stuff is harder to see on the boxster and a lot of them don't have a clue what the stock exhaust looks like...so YMMV here in CA on that issue.

if I WAS going to change somethign aside from my muffler - does it make a difference if you do the header vs the secondary cats? like if I keep the restrictive header with cats, but put on cat bypass pipes, will it not really do much b/c I've got all the restriction upstream or will it still help? would it be noticeable when I drive it if there is a gain or is it some minute gain on a dyno that your butt would never sense?

from everything i've read - i'm starting to wonder if modding the exhaust is just a big fat PITA that won't yield any real benefits. but then again, there are posts here of guys claiming they did a fabspeed system and got 20 wheel hp, others sasy they got only 5.

i really don't give a crap what the dyno says. i don't drive on a dyno. i'm curious about real world driveability. does the car rev up faster, feel livlier, or does it feel the same - and only "sound" fast.

if I"m only after sound, i'll chang ethe muffler and get sound that way. i'm curious about the other parts of the system - and whther messing with them is worth it?

thanks!
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote