Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2008, 04:21 AM   #1

DIY Spring install instructions please.

I just got the HR spring set and was surprised to find that the install of the springs range from 900-1200$. So to that end, I am asking if there is a DIY guide on the install of the springs.

I plan on removing them and bringing 4 struts to the local shop and have them compress and replace the springs, then I will put them back on and get it aligned after that.

Any help is much appreciated.

James

Pedro rear stabilizer bar, CF strut braces, Maxspeed headers with 100 cell cats, Fabspeed cat bypass pipes, H&R springs with M030 setup, TRG rear links, EVO air intake, B&M Short shift kit, Raby IMS upgrade, Raby underdrive pulley

Last edited by jhandy; 07-04-2008 at 05:57 AM.
jhandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 10:33 AM   #2

Here ya go... a lot of people have used this guide here:

http://gwl.rmsolo.org/hacks/suspension/index.html#front

Though, others have done it faster/easier by dropping out the eccentric bolt...

Some stuff for sale: M030 S 24mm front sway bar, M030 base 19.6mm rear sway bar, 996 GT3 OEM Porsche Motorsport front strut mounts monoball "camber plates"

WTB: looking for some 5-7mm spacers with extended bolts
chaudanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 04:59 PM   #3

Jhandy,

I used the below post and it was right on the money, saved myself over a grand. get over to Autozone, and borrow a spring compressor and if you have a vise it's a piece of cake. With the money you save think of all the additional stuff you can get, that was my motivation.After you complete one its all downhill.
Jim
jrblackbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 07:56 PM   #4

Would it be possible to remove the three top nuts, drop the strut down 6-10 inches, and then compress the spring and then remove the center nut and then replace the assembly with a new compressed spring?

That way the entire suspension does not need to be taken apart.
Just thinking,
James
Pedro rear stabilizer bar, CF strut braces, Maxspeed headers with 100 cell cats, Fabspeed cat bypass pipes, H&R springs with M030 setup, TRG rear links, EVO air intake, B&M Short shift kit, Raby IMS upgrade, Raby underdrive pulley
Old 07-07-2008, 08:33 PM   #5

front suspension will not drop enough for you to be able to remove the spring. Also in general a real bad idea to attempt this. Just rent or borrow the spring compressors. Harbor Freight tools sells the for less than 10 bucks.
Old 07-08-2008, 04:16 AM   #6

Boxs2000,

I plan on renting the spring compressor.

What I am saying is this:

remove the wheel; compress the spring as much as possiable; then remove the three top bolts; drop the suspension as far as possiable; then remove the large center nut; then remove the compressed spring and put the new compressed spring on.

Will this work?

James
Old 07-08-2008, 08:00 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhandy
What I am saying is this:

remove the wheel; compress the spring as much as possiable; then remove the three top bolts; drop the suspension as far as possiable; then remove the large center nut; then remove the compressed spring and put the new compressed spring on.

Will this work?

no. not nearly enough room to get the spring on / off without getting the strut out from under the fender. the easiest thing to do if you have a portable spring compressor is to:

1) remove the diagonal from the lower control arm
2) remove the lower control arm at the subframe
3) remove the tie rod from the steering knuckle
4) remove the three nuts at the strut tower

this will allow the entire steering knuckle and strut to be lowered as a single unit. you may have to remove the brake caliper depending on whether you have long aftermarket lines or not.

as for the rears? do the same thing, adding to this removal of the 32mm axle nut / pounding the axle out of the hub. keep in mind that when you remove the rear lower control arms from the rear subframe, you WILL screw up your alignment; this is UNAVOIDABLE no matter what anyone tells you. get an alignment afterward.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg

Last edited by insite; 07-08-2008 at 08:04 AM.
insite is offline   Reply With Quote