Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2008, 06:16 PM   #41

PK,

I'm with you on the PHD, I may only be at masters level.

I still have not decided which way I am going to go the options are much larger than I expected.

I do know that the way we keep modifying these engines we are going to need something to ensure things stay at a safe level.

Growing up the car magazines said how amazing Porsches are. Was I brainwashed? Somehow...I doubt it.

http://www.pcars.us/albums/10641_porsche_cars.jpg
Gary in BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 09:13 AM   #42
pk2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary in BR
PK,

I'm with you on the PHD, I may only be at masters level.

I still have not decided which way I am going to go the options are much larger than I expected.

I do know that the way we keep modifying these engines we are going to need something to ensure things stay at a safe level.
Love to hear about these "options" that you got up your sleeve. As for safety, I think it’s really a question of do diligence. In short , keep the top end. From burning up. I have yet to hear of any bottom end catostrophic failure due to forced induction. That’s why I’m going to be monitoring everything I can.

Regards, PK
Old 01-22-2008, 09:57 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk2
Love to hear about these "options" that you got up your sleeve. As for safety, I think it’s really a question of do diligence. In short , keep the top end. From burning up. I have yet to hear of any bottom end catostrophic failure due to forced induction. That’s why I’m going to be monitoring everything I can.

Regards, PK

The options I was reffering to are the options on gauges and dataloggers.

As of today I am going to go with VDO boost and Oil pressure and Turbowerx on board diagnostic tool for my a/f ratio.

As far as future options on the car....
I have not decided whats next.

Growing up the car magazines said how amazing Porsches are. Was I brainwashed? Somehow...I doubt it.

Old 01-24-2008, 12:11 AM   #44
pk2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary in BR
The options I was reffering to are the options on gauges and dataloggers.

As of today I am going to go with VDO boost and Oil pressure and Turbowerx on board diagnostic tool for my a/f ratio.

As far as future options on the car....
I have not decided whats next.
Hey Gary,

Nice that Turbowerks provides you with A/F stuff, sounds like a very well sorted out and integrated system. Can’t go wrong with VDO either.

“As far as future options on the car....” That’s the spirit…I’ll be hot on you heals..

Regards, PK
Old 01-27-2008, 08:16 PM   #45

1st incarnation of the gauges.

I need to make a trim piece for the gauges. That will be my project next weekend. The trim for the ac controls was bought last week but it has not arrived yet. I will post pictures again when the trim gets installed.

After driving the car the boost gauge is so much easier to read high in the dash instead in the 3rd cubby hole.

When ever I install the AF display I will mount it where the radio is now.
And the radio will go into the 3rd slot.

I also painted the silver trim around the radio black today. There is still too much silver in the radio. That will be next months project.

As far as date logging I think I am going to go with http://www.autoenginuity.com/index.html
But I clicked on this board sponsor today
http://www.durametric.com/
these seem to be very similar products. I am going to do so Googling and see what I can find about the two of them.

Sorry about the cell phone picture. But the quality camera is sitting on my desk at the office.

Moving the AC control was a bigger PITA than I thought it would be. But I am happy with my placement of the gauges.
Whenever I get the A/F meters in I may do a double DIN Carbon Fiber panel but I have time to think about that one.

The next step on the mod front.......
I am going to delete my only pair of cats and install a set of electronic cutouts for the exhaust. I will be able to run almost complete straight pipes or quiet it down for when my wife is in the car or that cell phone rings. The only question I still have is weather or not I will run the cutouts via boost or a switch.
With this mod Turbowerx feels I will getter faster spool and possibly a little more boost.
The exhaust mods may be 45 - 60 days away it all depends on my mechanics schedule.

Old 02-11-2008, 12:52 PM   #46

Do our cars come with wideband or narrow band O2 Sensors?

Old 02-12-2008, 08:29 AM   #47

Intercooler Cooling

Hey Gary, my mailbox is getting pretty full, so I'll post a suggestion here in regards to intercooler cooling issues. Others may want to use this.

I know you have some concerns with your intercooler mounted under the transmission. The concensus has pretty much been that it's not the most ideal location for cooling, but with space constraints it's the best that can be done. This weekend I was reading an old article in Sport Compact Car about nitrous and got to thinking about how you were considering using nitrous to cool your intercooler. That makes a lot of sense considering the location of your intercooler.

Have you ever considered a water spray though? If you look at some of the Subaru WRX forums you'll see that putting a water spray on their intercoolers is quite common. Although it might not be as good as the super cooling power of nitrous, it's a LOT cheaper to make and to keep running.

I did a home-made water spray system on my WRX, but unfortunately it went with the car when I sold it. This is what I did though and I think it would work GREAT for you, especially considering the location of your intercooler:

For the water supply you can simply use a windshield washer tank. You can pick one up on the cheap at a salvage yard. Make sure it has a small pump mounted in the bottom and a good seal so it doesn't leak. I would mount it in the rear trunk and simply fill it with water. You could use distilled water if you're worried about hardness, which wouldn't be a bad idea. I'd then simply run a hose from the pump to just above the intercooler. I'd use a T-connection to split the hose and run it to two misting spray nozzles. The nozzles I used came from Arizona Mist. These nozzles give out a very, very fine mist designed specifically for evaporative cooling. Their website link to nozzle specifics isn't working right now though:

http://www.arizonamist.com/products/Maintenance%20and%20Accessories/04/

I had called the company and ordered the misting nozzles as replacement parts for like $4 each or something. I've still got one in the package at home, so I can check the exact part number for you later, if you like.

To control the pump I used an intermittent windshield wiper controller. I picked it up at an auto parts store for like $20. It's a cheap, black box that you can hook up to your windshield wiper motor if your car did not come with an intermittent control. This works beautifully for controlling the misting pump. On a hot day or when you're pushing the car hard you just turn the knob on the controller to turn it on and you can adjust then how frequently the pump will work. Basically the pump will then work in bursts to spray down the intercooler and cool the air going into the intercooler. The control knob adjusts how frequently it will spray. The pressure from the small pump is more than sufficient for the misting nozzles.

Just a thought.... I'm kicking around the idea of adding a some of these misting nozzles to my front bumper. Maybe have one or two nozzles spray in front of each radiator. It gets up to 114 F where I live in the summer sometimes. It might not be a bad idea then and I could easily mount the water tank in the front trunk. Especially with the dry heat we have, spraying a fine mist into the airflow that goes into the front radiators would have a good cooling effect. It's probably not necessary, but would be nice if you wanted to do some spirited driving in the heat.
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 09:15 AM   #48

I have thought about this a few times.
I still have not decided between misting NOS or water. I have even heard a Meth/Water mist would be effective also.

There is a 996 locally that has a NOS setup to spray his intercoolers. His is set up on a switch in the car, when the switch is on it pulses just like you mentioned.

I read a few times about intercoolers rusting from water spray. What is your opinion of that? Do you think that an intercooler can rust? I would assume not but I dont know.

Its hot here in Louisiana, the days it was cold (4 days this year) , the car felt like it had noticeably more power. Would spraying the intercooler give the same effect? Would it be noticeable on a street car or is it something I would only notice on spirited drives and track days?

Isn't all of this fun??

Old 02-12-2008, 04:53 PM   #49

I thought most intercoolers were aluminum, in which case you wouldn't have to worry about rust. However, if the water is really hard you could certainly get calcium build-up, plugging the small fins of the intercooler. That's why I suggested maybe using distilled water. If you decide to go the meth/water route, let me know I have a meth lab in my kitchen and can get you stuff real cheap.

You couldn't really use a water spray on a track day. Spraying water on the track is a big no-no. That's one of the reasons why people use a nitrous spray - it's more track friendly. Would it make a difference? I'm not sure. On a dry, hot day with little humidity you would gain a bit from the evaporative cooling effect of the water mist. Methanol would amplify this effect. On a cooler day or a very humid day I don't know if you would notice any difference. Gary, you just need to get out of boggy, soggy Louisiana and move to California man!

The other issue is trying to understand how air flows over your intercooler with the mounting you have. Does air flow from the top to the bottom or bottom to top? You want the misting spray right before the air flow going into the intercooler. If it flows from bottom to top, then you're out of luck as you don't want spray nozzles hanging underneath your car, close to the ground. They'd get yanked off by rough roads in no time...
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 03:03 PM   #50

Send a message via MSN to pinzgo
supercharger upgrade

Everything is coming. I just bolted on trunk vented intercooler and I am now doing Water Methanol. I also added unichip over remapped ECU. I am reducing Supercharger pulley from 3.4 to 2.95 to stand with a safe 7 psi using methanol. Have also add 3 gages onto dash board. Boost, Fuel management and Oil pressure gages. I will be back soon with details and pictures. Also ordered 275-35-18 Bf Goodrich radial drag tires. For them that do not believe, It is already a rare powerful drag machine. Dream comes true.
Hope my english is understandable.
Jacques
pinzgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 08:00 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk
Gary, you just need to get out of boggy, soggy Louisiana and move to California man!

I have been to CA twice in the last 6 months, if my buisness was not here I would be there in a heartbeat.

The other issue is trying to understand how air flows over your intercooler with the mounting you have. Does air flow from the top to the bottom or bottom to top? You want the misting spray right before the air flow going into the intercooler. If it flows from bottom to top, then you're out of luck as you don't want spray nozzles hanging underneath your car, close to the ground. They'd get yanked off by rough roads in no time...
And we do have some rough roads. Turbowerx is working on a scoop to go under the car, but as you said my car is low, The intercooler is about 4 inches off of the ground. SOOO a scoop, spray or any other additional cooling means may not be feasible.

I am open to other ideas, but I have come to the conclusion I may not need anything more than the scoop. Even though it will be a low profile scoop.

Old 02-14-2008, 08:07 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinzgo
Everything is coming. I just bolted on trunk vented intercooler and I am now doing Water Methanol. I also added unichip over remapped ECU. I am reducing Supercharger pulley from 3.4 to 2.95 to stand with a safe 7 psi using methanol. Have also add 3 gages onto dash board. Boost, Fuel management and Oil pressure gages. I will be back soon with details and pictures. Also ordered 275-35-18 Bf Goodrich radial drag tires. For them that do not believe, It is already a rare powerful drag machine. Dream comes true.
Hope my english is understandable.
Jacques

Your English is fine, probably better than some of us the board.
You have an exciting project. please post as many pictures as you can of the intercoler, piping and wiring. I am intrested also in your gauges. Plus a dyno, man you got to get this dynoed.

Keep working on the project I am excited in watching this one.

Old 02-14-2008, 10:06 PM   #53
pk2

[QUOTE=pinzgo]Everything is coming. ... It is already a rare powerful drag machine. Dream comes true.
Jacques,

-----------------------------------------------------------------

You’re an inspiration and I think we’re about neck and neck. Just got my EGT and O2 sensors and wiring in and plan to cob the gauges in tomorrow for tuning… (it will be awhile before I make a sweet looking permanent install , I’m a designer, can’t help it).

Picked up a better AIC (Perfect performance) which has a spare channel I think I’m going to use to control the H20/meth injection. Be nice to tune water, fuel & timing all in one (albeit mediocre) interface. It’s also got lots data display/logging capabilities.

Funny thing, I’ve got to drop my pulley to 2.4 on my Eaton M63 to get 7 psi . Gonna be spinning the _ell out of the SC at red line… 15,350 rpm’s…good thing bearings are cheap.

Unichip is quite a trick piece of work. Couldn’t ask for a cleaner install with all the tuning possibilities. Was tempted but they’ve not got one out of the box for my little motor. I can have one customized for another grand++…I’ll see how far this one gets me. Keep up the good work.

Regards, PK
Old 02-15-2008, 01:42 AM   #54

Intercooler.

You guys are lucky. we had snow record last week. And snow every day. But it is opportunity to stay inside and work on my baby !!!. Last night I put anti rust coating on inside of trunk prior to bolt on intercooler, methanol pump and nitro. AS we still have anough place for luggages in front of that well build car, the rear trunk will be used exclusively for these upgrades.
The trunk will be vented by a 10 inches fan fixed inside cover on a 9 inches round opening covered outside with a scoop. I found lovely scoop that fits with lines of car. That fresh air will go right on intercoolers add will after get out by vents located on each side rear fenders. About 800 cfm of new air. I have opportunity to have fiber trunk cover with no brake light and no spoiler. It is easy to work with without causing any distortion. Methanol is AEM progressive.
If any have done technical upgrades that can help, I need to know. Pictures will come !!
Just to tell you that our winter here in Quebec Canada remembers me the nice times I passed studying in Long Beach, California in the Seventies.
Just bought Condo in Lauderdale Lakes Fl to get rid of that. But this winter is my Porsche's winter.
take care, Jacques
Added winter mussels culture under ice

Last edited by pinzgo; 02-15-2008 at 01:46 AM.
Old 02-16-2008, 12:27 AM   #55
pk2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinzgo
You guys are lucky. we had snow record last week. And snow every day. ...studying in Long Beach, California in the Seventies...
.take care, Jacques
Added winter mussels culture under ice
--------------------------------------------------------------
You Kidding, its hasn't got above 65F for the last 3 days. Did time at Long eh, Did time in the 80's at CSULB. BIg let down after the girls of Sandiego state.

Regards,

PK
Old 02-16-2008, 07:21 AM   #56

Was at College Of Oceanering, 1974,75 Professionnal Diving school. Best time of my life. Had my business and retired now. I try to send you guys pictures of POrsche tomorrow. Bye

Jacques
Old 03-02-2008, 12:18 PM   #57

Pictures, intercooler, nos, methanol

Hi guys, some pictures, better late than never. Job is about 75% done. Still have to fit CO2 nozzles on intercooler, tubing and fan on lid. Everything fits perfect until now. Job will be done within a week. I will send you pictures 5 at a time. It is maximum allowed.
Old 03-02-2008, 12:24 PM   #58

Intercooler. nos, methanol

pictures, suite
Old 03-02-2008, 12:29 PM   #59

Cool pictures, what does the whole rig weigh including fluids, thanks,

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 12:36 PM   #60

Pictures intercooler, nos, methanol

Pictures, suite. It will be all for today. I just received new 10 inches wheels and Bfgoodrich slicks. Amazing. I also modified Catalicts by upgrading to 2 inches ss bent pipe. My big challenge now is fan and scoop on trunk lid. It is a 1200 cfm, 10 inches. You should see weather outside. Storm with 25 cm of snow
I will follow pictures
Allez Guys, Keep on running
Jacques