Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2007, 05:53 PM   #41

You're right, the price is WAY to high for an exhaust. I got mine on Ebay using the "make an offer" option. I offered less than half of what they were asking and they accepted the offer. They obviously know that their prices are over-inflated, and even for what I paid, I'm sure they still made money on the deal. BUT, irrespective of the over-inflated pricing on their website, it's still a great sounding exhaust and made well. If you're in the market or interested in an exhaust, look into this exhaust. Try Ebay and make them an offer. You'd be suprised at how much their willing to accept for a bid. I love this exhaust, good luck!

D.L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 03:27 PM   #42

Stebro is O-Tay!!

Like most of the other posts on this subject; I bought mine (so-called Racing version) on ebay last year for a Best Offer price of $550 which included shipping. Got it in 2 weeks; great bit of fabrication and incrediblly lightweight, like 10lbs or so.

Easy install, good fit, great sound, which got better when I added intermediate pipes, which I had made up from Fabspeed pics, by the local exhaust shop for 1/4 the Fabspeed price. So, for less than $750 inc. installation, I now consider that part of the car ('00 986'S') completed.

And this makes my stock sound system's weaknesses a moot point.... Works fine w/ the EVO intake, and seems to have bumped the gas milage by 1 or 2 mpg.
Happy Motoring,
Andy
superglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 07:06 AM   #43

Stebro Racing Resonance

:ah: I've had my Stebro Racing Exhaust off for about a year now. I couldn't stand the 2-3K resonance (going deaf!). I do, however, miss all the good sounds it makes.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get rid of or reduce the resonance? I e-mailed Stebro and their only solution was to buy a new Sport Exhaust System (not very customer friendly considering the price paid and their advertisements do not mention anything about the terrible resonance).

Thanks for any help with this matter.
MidMotor2TrunkToter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 07:43 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidMotor2TrunkToter
:ah: I've had my Stebro Racing Exhaust off for about a year now. I couldn't stand the 2-3K resonance (going deaf!). I do, however, miss all the good sounds it makes.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get rid of or reduce the resonance? I e-mailed Stebro and their only solution was to buy a new Sport Exhaust System (not very customer friendly considering the price paid and their advertisements do not mention anything about the terrible resonance).

Thanks for any help with this matter.
There is no easy way to dramatically reduce the resonance. You can add some sound deadner here and there, but it won't make a huge difference. Also keeping it out of the 2-3k rpm range helps at the expense of decreased gas mileage. It's a pretty extreme system with little baffeling so going with a less aggressive system is your best bet if resonance is an issue.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 07:56 AM   #45

The pedro modified stock exhaust is supposed to provide better sound without the resonance. The single chamber of a stock muffler seems to have a lot to do with the elimination of cabin resonance.

I too have an aftermarket exhaust that's got twin chambers, and the resonance is deafening on the rare occasion I am stuck in stop-and-go traffic. Top down drives in the country are glorious though.

So, I'm going to save up and have a custom exhaust shop mod me some bypass pipes like Pedro did on his stock muffler.

It won't be quite as loud as I'd like, but I can rid myself of the dreaded cabin drone.

BTW, there's a new company whose name I cannot remember who has come up with a complete exhaust system (headers, cats, muffler) for the 986 and the 987 and it sounds amazing, it's loud when you want it to be loud, and has no noticeable resonance. Sadly, it's out of my price range and something like $6000!

HoustonC4S (Mark) knows the brand name if you want to PM him about it.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 12:23 PM   #46

Thanks

Thanks Pedro and Adam......

Wish I would have had this info prior to purchasing the Stebro. I checked out the Pedro exhaust and it sounds good.....

I'll probably go with the Pedro option in the long run and keep the Stebro for when my tostesterone levels are high.

I would be curious if those that have done the Pedro exhaust are satisfied.

Also, his intake tube mod looks cool. It looks like a cheap way to get more intake sound.

Anyone have any thoughts?
Old 01-21-2009, 01:29 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidMotor2TrunkToter
Thanks Pedro and Adam......

Wish I would have had this info prior to purchasing the Stebro. I checked out the Pedro exhaust and it sounds good.....

I'll probably go with the Pedro option in the long run and keep the Stebro for when my tostesterone levels are high.

I would be curious if those that have done the Pedro exhaust are satisfied.

Also, his intake tube mod looks cool. It looks like a cheap way to get more intake sound.

Anyone have any thoughts?
People say desnorkling the airbox increases intake sound some. If you want a more dramatic increase in intake sound an aftermarket intake like the EVO system is an option, but you have to basically destroy the old box to get it out I hear. Not worth it IMO. I'm not familiar with the Pedro intake. Does anybody have a pic?

Last edited by Adam; 01-21-2009 at 01:58 PM.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 08:37 PM   #48

Here's the link for the Pedro Intake.

It's homebrewed but looks cheap and interesting. I'm going to try it this weekend. I am currently running a K&N with desnorkle. This will keep the K&N but removes the intake silencers from the intake path.

The system consists of Qty (2) 3" 90 degree rubber plumbing elbows, with hose clamps, and Qty (1) short section of 3" diameter PVC or aluminum pipe found @ Lowe's or Home Depot.

I hope this will make the intake growl even more pronounced.

You can also wrap the short section of PVC with pipe wrap to keep the engine heat from warming the intake air.

Pedro Intake

Last edited by MidMotor2TrunkToter; 01-23-2009 at 08:48 PM.