Thread: stebro exhaust
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2007, 04:18 PM   #12
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Looking around on the Stebro sight I saw a couple of interesting things:

1) They have two different systems for the Box. The Racing muffler shown in yellowboxster01's original post, and a Sport muffler in the link I'm adding.

2) They appear to have both the Racing and Sport mufflers specifically for the 986 and different models for the 986S. I don't know what the differences are other than the base car systems are less expensive, which is good for me since I have a base.

I sent Stebro an e-mail and asked a few questions and here are their answers (you can figure out the questions):

Hi Derek, here are the answers:
1)yes , we have a sport exhaust for your base boxster. Item number: 290163104069
2)The difference are larger mufflers for better sound quality
3)Weights (factory system 78lbs, Stebro Sport system 24 lbs, Stebro Racing system 14 lbs
4)Both systems are fine at cruising speed. The racing system has a resonance around 2K rpm

As you can see when you compare the pictures in the links the sport system has larger mufflers. I actually like the sound from the sport system better (as best as I can judge from the sound clips). I'm also encouraged they mention a resonance with the Racing muffler which I guess by default means there isn't any (or at least less) with the Sport muffler.

The down side to the Sport muffler is it costs more, and weighs more, but it is still more than 3 X lighter than factory muffler if the Stebro weights are correct.

I'm really thinking about making an offer on the Sport muffler. Would you choose the Sport or Racing muffler and why?

Thanks,

Derek

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PORSCHE-BOXSTER-SPORT-EXHAUST-1997-2004-BY-STEBRO_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33630QQihZ019QQi temZ290163104069QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote