Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2020, 05:48 PM   #101
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qingdao View Post
Wow way to drink the kool aid. Step one deaminize your enemy. They did that well enough with you.

Thanks for trash talking my predecessors. And not fully comprehending history.

But hey its the internet

Once again people are auguring the validity of "candy cigarettes'" as a metaphor. I could have mentioned 8 other instances where arms are taken from people and that's when government overstepping happens.
Your response to me is to insult me, but you haven't said anything substantive. Because of that, I'll stoop lower than I usually do and give you a spelling tip: "deamonize". Verb. Describes the act of creating the impression that something or someone is a demon.

So: you say I don't understand history? WHICH history do you think I've misunderstood? Go ahead: correct me. School me up, professor.

I'm sorry if you feel like your predecessors fit into the group of belligerents that I described. I didn't know them; I'm sure they were wonderful people.

For my family's part, our family tree is chock full of people who went north from Missouri, Arkansas, Georgia, to fight with the Union, against the confederacy. They knew they'd be "fighting against their own", but the values at stake demanded they choose the right side. We take a tremendous amount of pride in them. As one would, when their ancestor risked literally EVERYTHING in order to take a moral stand.

Again: learn me up. Don't just stop at hurling insults my way: Tell me which part of history our family journals got wrong?

I took issue with your portrayal of the "Northern Agressors firing on the poor law-abiding citizens of the Confederate states" as an example of government taking-up arms against its citizens, thereby necessitating current law-abiding Americans bearing arms, so it can't happen again. You seem to have missed my point, so I'll make it ever-more-clear: if a bunch of red states decide to leave the Union because Bernie wins the next election, then yes, I fully support taking up arms to keep it from happening. Even more so if a bunch of blue states decide to leave because they don't like Christians.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 06:11 PM   #102
Who's askin'?

Are y'all getting the same ads I am in this thread? Hahahaha

Old 01-03-2020, 06:47 PM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
Are y'all getting the same ads I am in this thread? Hahahaha

WOW! No. I'm just getting Pelican Parts ads. But then I'm on a PC with cookies blocked, not on a phone, if that makes any difference.
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 07:10 PM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qingdao View Post
Wow way to drink the kool aid. Step one deaminize your enemy. They did that well enough with you.

Thanks for trash talking my predecessors. And not fully comprehending history.

But hey its the internet

Once again people are auguring the validity of "candy cigarettes'" as a metaphor. I could have mentioned 8 other instances where arms are taken from people and that's when government overstepping happens.

I don't see many insults; only describing your misconceptions. And yes of course defending my bloodline.

I can see as in every one of my posts (save the one explaining the events in America during the 1860s) an attempt at reigning in the topic back to gun control. Or at least governments control over how we should not buy guns etc.

I'll indulge this tangent away from the topic at hand, but I'd like to for a third time state that I was using this as a metaphor to illustrate that a government can use soldiers to harass or abate citizens (or ex citizens).

I'll admit I've never actually read South Carolina's declaration. Reading it was informative. I'd still like to see the hard copy, but the internet will do for now.

https://www.battlefields.org/learn/primary-sources/declaration-causes-seceding-states#South_Carolina

It basically prattles on about how they have attempted legislation with the northern states for 25 years, and enough is enough. Or at least that's what I gather from it.

Further it describes how our relationship with England was dissolved.

That is a part that is interesting. Apparently, we didn't jump right into the "union" until 1788. We apparently just wanted to be a "free and sovereign state"

After the American revolution I would assume there was considerable war debt. This is probably why we joined into a union only after the fact.

It goes on to describe how we didn't like how (take offence stopping pills now) non-slave holding states were not abiding by the legislation set in place for returning of slaves. Basically extradition laws were not being adhered to.

The Declaration then goes on to take the words of the constitution and write that the USA was not making a "more perfect union" it was not "establishing justice" yada yada yada.

Finally, the people of SC did NOT like Lincoln. Apparently not one bit.

The wiki article seems to summarize pretty well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Declaration_of_the_Immediate_Causes_Which_Induce_a nd_Justify_the_Secession_of_South_Carolina_from_th e_Federal_Union

All this being said I get the feeling of "Trump is not my president" syndrome from the southerners at that time. But they are my kin and being I am so much like my father and his father before him; I can only imagine myself in a southern man's shoes at that time. I'd probably do the same thing they did. As Nietzsche believes so do I in eternal recurrence.

You take offence because you believe me a bigot?

Or just because I am a proud southern man?

Regardless you are only going to see or hear what you want to and this is the internet so none of it is real

As for spelling errors... Spell check can't catch them all Mr. Samsung tapatalk

WTB: any cheap 986 shifter new or used
Qingdao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 07:48 AM   #105
Old member. New Account.

Wait.. so this is what happened to our popular gun thread?!
'16 BMW f15 - daily
all_mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 09:06 AM   #106

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by all_mota View Post
Wait.. so this is what happened to our popular gun thread?!

As a California Bail bonds agent I am authorized to carry concealed weapons while in pursuit of a bail jumper.

I take my H&k combat shotgun with 7 12ga capacity mag., My 9mm Glock & my COP.357
Old 02-26-2020, 10:25 AM   #107
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

As a subscriber to "Easier to ask for forgiveness than permission" and "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6" I just conceal, and quite nicely. When **************** hits the fan I'll take my lumps.
Old 02-26-2020, 04:29 PM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
As a subscriber to "Easier to ask for forgiveness than permission" and "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6" I just conceal, and quite nicely. When **************** hits the fan I'll take my lumps.
I carry too. I have a concealed carry permit. I just don't need an assault weapon, especially not one with large magazines.
Old 02-26-2020, 07:17 PM   #109

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by piper6909 View Post
I carry too. I have a concealed carry permit. I just don't need an assault weapon, especially not one with large magazines.
Why do you think you have the moral high ground to determine when a weapon is an assault weapon or a defensive weapon, or what constitutes a large magazine.

If I am at my house and use an AR-15 to protect my family and property from a group of (6) people intent on doing harm - that’s (5) rounds per person. That AR-15 becomes a defensive weapon.

If I use that same gun to go on the offensive and harm my neighbor it becomes an assault weapon. The label “assault weapon” applies to any implement intended to be used as an offensive weapon be it a rifle, sidearm, knife or baseball bat.

Why do otherwise intelligent people fall prey to the culture creators who introduce emotionally charged words/phrases into the lexicon to advance an agenda.

BTW - the AR in AR-15 stands for ArmaLite, not assault rifle. It is a product naming convention from the company that invented it, ArmaLite. In fact, there were a number of rifles with “AR” names, like the AR-1, AR-5, AR-7, AR-10, AR-16 and AR-17.
2004 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition, #1541,Tip, TechnoFix DOF IMSB upgrade
SC-986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 08:36 PM   #110
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC-986 View Post

BTW - the AR in AR-15 stands for ArmaLite, not assault rifle. It is a product naming convention from the company that invented it, ArmaLite. In fact, there were a number of rifles with “AR” names, like the AR-1, AR-5, AR-7, AR-10, AR-16 and AR-17.
Im'a just put this here for now.

Old 02-27-2020, 03:02 AM   #111
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Why do you think you have the moral high ground to determine when a weapon is an assault weapon or a defensive weapon, or what constitutes a large magazine.

If I am at my house and use an AR-15 to protect my family and property from a group of (6) people intent on doing harm - that’s (5) rounds per person. That AR-15 becomes a defensive weapon.

If I use that same gun to go on the offensive and harm my neighbor it becomes an assault weapon. The label “assault weapon” applies to any implement intended to be used as an offensive weapon be it a rifle, sidearm, knife or baseball bat.

Why do otherwise intelligent people fall prey to the culture creators who introduce emotionally charged words/phrases into the lexicon to advance an agenda.

That was a sensical response.

Quote:
Im'a just put this here for now.
Nice try, May, but that tortoise holds 30 rounds.
Old 02-27-2020, 03:17 AM   #112

Quote:

If I am at my house and use an AR-15 to protect my family and property from a group of (6) people intent on doing harm - that’s (5) rounds per person.
If you need 5 rounds per person, you don't need an AR-15 You need shooting lessons.

Last edited by piper6909; 02-27-2020 at 03:24 AM.
Old 02-27-2020, 03:31 AM   #113

Quote:
Exactly my question. Otherwise intelligent people are falling prey to the narrative that "everyone's out to get you and you need to buy our guns to protect yourself." Buy buy buy!

The NRA doesn't give a **************** about us, nor the 2nd Amendment. Their sole priority is to sell guns and get themselves rich at our expense. Why do you think they're out in Russia pushing guns? Does Russia have a 2nd amendment? The NRA is nothing but an arm of the gun manufacturers.

Last edited by piper6909; 02-27-2020 at 03:41 AM.
Old 02-27-2020, 04:59 AM   #114

Garage
Dude, why are you so emotionally invested in the left/right paradigm. I did not use any oft repeated emotionally charged phrases, ie. “Assault Weapon” that have been trumpeted (sorry for the trigger word) (oops did it again) and programmed into the minds of a certain segment of society by politicians and the mass media. I am trying to inject some critical thinking and common sense into the argument.

Apparently you believe “everyone is out to get you” since you’ve taken the steps to obtain a concealed weapons permit. An AR-15 is not unlike a tool that is best used in the proper situation - for example I wouldn’t use a hacksaw to take down a tree, I would use a chainsaw. I am not going to walk down Main Street with an AR-15 slung over my shoulder but I will use it in the proper environment and scenario.

My original point was and still is a weapon can be anything to inflict harm on another being. Intent determines whether or not it is an “assault” weapon. Just because a group of politicians labels a thing, does not make it so.

DISCLAIMER - I am not on team red or team blue - in my opinion most if not all of our political leaders are as corrupt as the day is long.

Last edited by SC-986; 02-27-2020 at 05:06 AM. Reason: Edit
Old 02-27-2020, 05:05 AM   #115

Garage
Quote:
The NRA doesn't give a **************** about us, nor the 2nd Amendment. Their sole priority is to sell guns and get themselves rich at our expense. Why do you think they're out in Russia pushing guns? Does Russia have a 2nd amendment? The NRA is nothing but an arm of the gun manufacturers.
Oh - and another thing. I am not a member of the NRA. Just someone who believes I have the right to protect my family and property from those who intend harm or would like to take unlawful possession of said property.
Old 02-27-2020, 05:28 AM   #116

Quote:

Apparently you believe “everyone is out to get you” since you’ve taken the steps to obtain a concealed weapons permit. An AR-15 is not unlike a tool that is best used in the proper situation - for example I wouldn’t use a hacksaw to take down a tree, I would use a chainsaw. I am not going to walk down Main Street with an AR-15 slung over my shoulder but I will use it in the proper environment and scenario.
Yes, I believe there are some bad people out there, and a handgun is a very capable tool to defend myself and my home. Although I have an unloaded shotgun under my bed, in case someone comes in, I believe all they need to hear the sound the gun makes when I "load the chamber" and they'll scurry out of the house like cockroaches. But I really don't expect anyone coming in. It's just an insurance thing.

I also wouldn't use a hack saw to cut down a tree, but I wouldn't use a grenade, either. I think an AR is like a grenade when it comes to self-defense, and a handgun is more like a chainsaw in your analogy. We have difference in opinions on this and we can leave it at that. You'll never convince me otherwise and I'll never convince you. I do, however, believe we both have the right to express our opinions.
Old 02-27-2020, 05:33 AM   #117

Quote:
Dude, why are you so emotionally invested in the left/right paradigm. I did not use any oft repeated emotionally charged phrases, ie. “Assault Weapon” that have been trumpeted (sorry for the trigger word) (oops did it again) and programmed into the minds of a certain segment of society by politicians and the mass media. I am trying to inject some critical thinking and common sense into the argument.
HA! Talking about emotionally invested, I've seen countless bumper stickers of guns, AR's, gun stick families, etc.

I've never seen stickers of chainsaws, to bring back your analogy. Who's emotionally invested?
Old 02-27-2020, 05:41 AM   #118
Who's askin'?

Quote:
We have difference in opinions on this and we can leave it at that. You'll never convince me otherwise and I'll never convince you. I do, however, believe we both have the right to express our opinions.
Wait..... where's piper6909, and what have you done with his body?

;-)

Old 02-27-2020, 05:44 AM   #119

Quote:
Wait..... where's piper6909, and what have you done with his body?

;-)

HAHA!

Look back at all my posts, and you'll find nothing has changed. I've always been on the side of people being able to express their opinions, unless they personally attack others.
Old 02-27-2020, 06:00 AM   #120
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
HA! Talking about emotionally invested, I've seen countless bumper stickers of guns, AR's, gun stick families, etc.

I've never seen stickers of chainsaws, to bring back your analogy. Who's emotionally invested?
OK. Game on.

I'm going to mount on my truck's rear window a family sporting chainsaws. Yup. I'll find them. eBay. Amazon. Etsy. Thanks for the great idea!

Now... if I were in China they'd be a family sporting knives... or machetes cause, you know... gun control. However, I believe a machete doesn't make the same sound as a shotgun shell being chambered.