Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2019, 06:03 PM   #1

PPI - Didn't receive a report?

Hey all - I did a PPI on a Boxster 2 months ago through a phone call. I was told what they found wrong with the vehicle etc through a call and I eventually decided to buy the car. I asked for a copy of the report on the day they did the ppi/payment was made, as well as numerous times after and i've basically been ghosted. Couple of questions here:

1. Is the mechanic legally required to provide the report (in pdf, picture or paper form)? Does a PPI comprise of the inspection labor as well as the report after?

2. If they didn't provide the report do I have any recourse?

I'm a little annoyed because I can't remember all the issues OTOH and it makes little sense to pay for another PPI. I'd also love to file the PPI under documentation in case theres a future owner. Appreciate the read and any help!

shibeinboxsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 06:05 AM   #2
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Well unless there was absolutely nothing wrong with the car then the PPI would read exactly that. They should at least document what they checked out and what needs to be done from a safety and compliance perspective. Without an actual document what proof is there they actually did anything?
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 04:11 AM   #3
Who's askin'?

This sounds like a non- question, to me. It sounds more like you're looking to complain about the shop. So you might as well spit out the name and be done with it. ;-)

The shop is under no obligation to provide anything to you, except for that which they agreed to. You're saying they agreed to give you a report, and you haven't received one.
See? I just don't understand the question.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 05:46 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibeinboxsters View Post
Hey all - I did a PPI on a Boxster 2 months ago through a phone call. I was told what they found wrong with the vehicle etc through a call and I eventually decided to buy the car. I asked for a copy of the report on the day they did the ppi/payment was made, as well as numerous times after and i've basically been ghosted. Couple of questions here:

1. Is the mechanic legally required to provide the report (in pdf, picture or paper form)? Does a PPI comprise of the inspection labor as well as the report after?

2. If they didn't provide the report do I have any recourse?

I'm a little annoyed because I can't remember all the issues OTOH and it makes little sense to pay for another PPI. I'd also love to file the PPI under documentation in case theres a future owner. Appreciate the read and any help!
On rennlist such a post would garner pages of ridicule for now trying to blame a shop for your failure to:
  • remember all the issues they identified for and to you
  • write them down at the time they informed you of them

Luckily, 986forum is much kinder.

There must not have been too serious of concerns. Otherwise you obviously would have made note of, negotiated on, and gotten repaired ASAP. Sounds like "green green green" to me!

Congrats on the new to you Boxster. How about posting some pix of your new beauty?

Good luck and enjoy your new Boxster!
Old 02-08-2019, 07:04 AM   #5
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burg Boxster View Post
On rennlist such a post would garner pages of ridicule for now trying to blame a shop for your failure to:
  • remember all the issues they identified for and to you
  • write them down at the time they informed you of them
Yeah, lol. F*ck that.

I've never heard of a PPI that was absent a written report. Surely the examining institution took notes... checked off boxes... and was signed by the examiner.

OP said he asked for, more than once, the written results, AKA a Report. Further, he's been ignored.

If I were considering a purchase, and the preliminary results were shared verbally and with no major concerns, I would consider effecting the purchase. However, I'd also want that written, hard-copy report. For whatever reason including having them available for the next buyer.

The OP should name the examining shop.

Rennlist? LOL.
Old 02-08-2019, 09:58 AM   #6

Garage
Pre-purchase Inspection

A Pre-purchase inspection can range from a quick walk around to check for obvious body damage, to a full day invasive interegation of every working component on the vehicle & extensive test drive. These parameters should be pre discussed. If I were ever in need of this service I would insist the 1st step would be to remove & inspect the oil filter, & this would conclude the PPI if it did not pass the 1st step. Cost should be commensurate with time spent to accomplish the buyers objective.
Old 02-08-2019, 07:16 PM   #7

Thanks all for reading and sharing ur thoughts!

LOL I see there are arguments for and against my situation. I think the core question is: when you do a PPI, do you pay for a report (implicitly or explicitly)? An example which satisfies the criteria would be: it isn't stated legally anywhere, but common business practices = a report is given. I've never been a mechanic so I'm unfamiliar with what I'm obliged to receive VS the extras that are provided altruistically so the mechanic gets into my good books. The ans to this is all that matters; if I did pay for a report then they need to provide one, if I didn't then i'll probably go fly a kite.

Also, update: 7 recorded instances which I sms-ed them requesting for the report in an unaggressive way. This excludes the >>2-3 times I requested for the report over the phone. At this point, the answer to the above is all that matters because requesting nicely obviously will not magically make my PPI report come to me

I don't think it's productive to name the shop; its the reason i left it out in the first place. The shop is out of state from me so I wouldn't be working with them in the future anyway. So the answer to the above is really all I'm interested in lmao. Frankly, at this point, I don't even mind paying a few extra bucks to get my report to file it/follow up on the small issues on my boxster.

Last edited by shibeinboxsters; 02-08-2019 at 07:19 PM.
Old 02-08-2019, 09:05 PM   #8
Who's askin'?

A ppi is not a prescribed service, with a check list, like a 50k mile service, or an oil change.
To byoprovider's point: a discussion about how in-depth the inspection goes should be part of the discussion of what you're willing to pay for the inspection. I would expect that to also include a discussion about how you'll receive that inspection report: verbally? Emailed narrative? Printed copy with photos?

Your discussion with the provider is what determines what you are due.... not the opinion of someone on a forum, who has no first hand knowledge of the conversation or agreement.

Last edited by maytag; 02-09-2019 at 06:33 AM.
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 07:40 AM   #9
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
A ppi is not a prescribed service, with a check list, like a 50k mile service, or an oil change.
To byoprovider's point: a discussion about how in-depth the inspection goes should be part of the discussion of what you're willing to pay for the inspection. I would expect that to also include a discussion about how you'll receive that inspection report: verbally? Emailed narrative? Printed copy with photos?

Your discussion with the provider is what determines what you are due.... not the opinion of someone on a forum, who has no first hand knowledge of the conversation or agreement.

A repair estimate isn't a prescribed service, but they usually come in writing (from any reputable shop). The OP is invited to contact me. I'll get you that report. Gratis.
Old 02-09-2019, 07:52 AM   #10

I would always expect to get something even if it is just some notes written on the service invoice. As always ask up front. If you want something checked in particular such as leak down or compression ask specifically specify that up front. Some shops don't like doing anything invasive when they don't have the owners permission. One shop I dealt with didn't even check the air filter believe it or not!
'11 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - winter daily driver
'92 F250 - junk hauler; previous Porsches '95 993;'08 Cayman S;'70 911E
356Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 06:16 PM   #11

Re: what we agreed upon - i definitely asked the shop to give a physical copy of the PPI to the seller. I eventually decided to travel down/purchase the boxster on a weekend so the shop wouldn't be open. Re: inspection details, we definitely discussed the extent of what they would be checking (no leakdown or compression test etc). Despite the explicit request, the original owner didn't get a copy, else it would be in my possession now.

That being said, this conversation was thru the phone so whatever was said doesnt matter as it'll end up being a he-said she-said situation. Thats what my qns are asking for - I'd love to find a stronger "legal entitlement" to the report if it exists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
A repair estimate isn't a prescribed service, but they usually come in writing (from any reputable shop). The OP is invited to contact me. I'll get you that report. Gratis.
Appreciate the offer to help. Sent you a PM.