Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2017, 02:49 PM   #1
Certified Boxster Addict

Amazing Eclipse

We went to Weiser, Idaho to see the full eclipse and it was amazing! One of the coolest experiences that I have ever had. If you ever get the opportunity, take it.

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 02:54 PM   #2
Run

I walked out my backdoor. Very neat experience the second full eclipse I have seen. Having the right glasses helped I could still see to drive my boxster home.
Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 04:01 PM   #3
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Looked forward to it for more than a year...and it was overcast and raining here today. So very disappointed.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 05:04 PM   #4

Got a nice partial eclipse here in greater Seattle!

On topic content follows:

(Notice the elliptically shaped stipple-dot pattern in the shadows...)

Old 08-21-2017, 06:59 PM   #5

We were in the 90% range here, it looked like dusk.

VERY OVER HYPED imo. Looking forward to 2024 when we are in the totality range.....Or Not LOL. 15 minutes of dark during the day......there are better things.....
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 05:08 PM   #6
Beginner

Garage
Viewing wasn't very good in Houston, this was the best I saw:

Old 08-24-2017, 03:56 AM   #7
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

It was incredible!

We drove from our Louisiana home to Alliance, Nebraska and watched two minutes and twenty-nine seconds of totality at the extreme western edge of the Nebraska panhandle, just south of Agate Fossil National Monument.
550 SE #310---"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow."
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 05:24 AM   #8

Garage
Was amazing to be on campus right in the path of totality.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 06:38 AM   #9
Racer Boy

You have to see totality to get how incredible it is. I've heard lots of people say, "Big deal? It just got a little dark!", and that is true, unless you see totality.

I drove from Seattle to the tiny town of Fox, OR, and it was worth the trip.

Great post, Jamesp!
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 06:52 PM   #10

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
winair23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 06:40 AM   #11

Garage
All taken in Corvallis, OR, D800, Nikkor 200-500 at 500mm.

2009 Mercedes Benz CLK 350 convertible
1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Coupe
Anker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 08:26 AM   #12
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreseller View Post
We were in the 90% range here, it looked like dusk.

VERY OVER HYPED imo. Looking forward to 2024 when we are in the totality range.....Or Not LOL. 15 minutes of dark during the day......there are better things.....
There is no comparison between 90% and 100% (I've seen them both). The experience of totality is mind-blowing whereas 90% feels fairly ho-hum. Hope you are able ti experience 100% in 2024!
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 06:41 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
There is no comparison between 90% and 100% (I've seen them both). The experience of totality is mind-blowing whereas 90% feels fairly ho-hum. Hope you are able ti experience 100% in 2024!
Hope you are right TH, looking forward to 2024. The news channels here (big surprise) had it made out to be the second coming,
Old 09-22-2017, 07:28 AM   #14

Jakeru, There is a lot of talk on the internet that the eclipse was not caused by the moon and your shadow pics seem to be their proof. I didn't know this fact myself but nobody has been able to get a pic of the moon just shortly before and after the eclipse. I am the biggest skeptic but then again starting to doubt the official narrative.
Lapister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 08:15 AM   #15
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapister View Post
Jakeru, There is a lot of talk on the internet that the eclipse was not caused by the moon and your shadow pics seem to be their proof. I didn't know this fact myself but nobody has been able to get a pic of the moon just shortly before and after the eclipse. I am the biggest skeptic but then again starting to doubt the official narrative.

That's hilarious!
Old 09-22-2017, 09:30 AM   #16

hmm ... depends if you want to believe the I skipped basic science but I sure have a lot of crazy opinions on it anyway nuts or the mystical indian wisdom nuts
oldskool73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 07:23 PM   #17

Science has become a religion, we all learned in school that the moons diameter happens to be about 2100 mi. Light as we have been taught travel in parallel lines from 93 million miles. If that is a fact how is it that the shadow cast of totality during the eclipse is only 70 miles wide? Any basic science experiment shows that the shadow cast cannot be smaller than the object that is blocking the sun. Do the research. There are also many talented people out there who are challenging the so called eclipse pics by the use of photo forensics. I'm not trying to start a thread on Conspiracy theory here although I totally woke from Sandy Hook and 911. I find that if you have doubts about any one event, they all have to be questioned. I'm curious and just want to know the truth. Gulf of Tonkin anyone? Do you trust NASA? Moon landings? I'll end it here. Happy Roadstering! Love our Boxsters.
Lapister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 08:16 PM   #18
Racer Boy

Quote:
Science has become a religion, we all learned in school that the moons diameter happens to be about 2100 mi. Light as we have been taught travel in parallel lines from 93 million miles. If that is a fact how is it that the shadow cast of totality during the eclipse is only 70 miles wide? Any basic science experiment shows that the shadow cast cannot be smaller than the object that is blocking the sun. Do the research. There are also many talented people out there who are challenging the so called eclipse pics by the use of photo forensics. I'm not trying to start a thread on Conspiracy theory here although I totally woke from Sandy Hook and 911. I find that if you have doubts about any one event, they all have to be questioned. I'm curious and just want to know the truth. Gulf of Tonkin anyone? Do you trust NASA? Moon landings? I'll end it here. Happy Roadstering! Love our Boxsters.
I have one word for you.

Refraction!
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 08:34 PM   #19

Quote:

Wow!!!!!!!!
Old 09-23-2017, 07:19 AM   #20
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Holy crap!

PM me your address and I'll send you a 5th grade science textbook.

Last edited by particlewave; 09-23-2017 at 09:57 AM.