Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2013, 04:39 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAM36 View Post
You did gather I meant heard, not head? You could figure that one out on your own, right?
There's no telling what someone who thinks Consumer Reports is crap might mean when they say they haven't "head" someone LOL!

Last edited by imsjack; 07-04-2013 at 04:44 PM.
imsjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 04:46 PM   #62
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by imsjack View Post
There's no telling what someone who thinks Consumer Reports is crap might mean when they say they haven't "head" someone LOL!
Haha, nice one. Welcome to the forums.
KRAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 04:49 PM   #63

To each his own! You do realize that JDPower has paid advertisers, right? And you understand having paid advertisers could be biased, right?

Quote:

If I wanted to use rankings by the owners. I'd use JD Power for the info.

01SBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 04:50 PM   #64

Go easy on him...he's had one of those days!

Quote:
Originally Posted by imsjack View Post
Old 07-04-2013, 05:10 PM   #65
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01SBox View Post
To each his own! You do realize that JDPower has paid advertisers, right? And you understand having paid advertisers could be biased, right?
Yes.

I just wanted to reply "Yes", but it's too short of a post and not allowed.
KRAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 05:28 PM   #66

damn these message boards, that and waiting 60 seconds to post! All kidding aside, Clark Howard has been our nations leading consumer advocate for 30 years. He's sold about 8 NYC Times best selling books, has a daily radio talk show syndicated from coast to coast, and is on CNN daily. He has two areas of expertise...financial advice and cars.

Clark, in his 30 years, has never once sponsored or endorsed a product. He has been offered millions, but refused. Clark claims to have 2 wives..."Lane" his real life wife, and Consumer Reports.

I've listend to him for 20 years....he's literally saved me tens of thousands of dollars, if not a hundred. You can download his daily podcasts for free....you sound youngish, so starting to listen to him now could help you retire earlier.

kram, it never hurts to keep an open mind, and question every source (yes, even Consumer Reports). I didn't even know JDpower did used car surveys - I'll check that out.

Quote:
Yes.

I just wanted to reply "Yes", but it's too short of a post and not allowed.
Old 11-13-2013, 04:44 AM   #67
Theoretical propagandist

Garage
Interesting OP ED story in Forbes

From Forbes: If Tesla Would Stop Selling Cars, We'd All Save Some Money - Forbes

CHICAGO, IL - NOVEMBER 03: A Tesla Roadster S...

A Tesla Roadster Sport. (Image credit: Getty Images via @daylife)

Snippet from the story:

...Tesla didn’t generate a profit by selling sexy cars, but rather by selling sleazy emissions “credits,” mandated by the state of California’s electric vehicle requirements...
Old 12-15-2013, 07:29 AM   #68
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric G View Post
...Tesla didn’t generate a profit by selling sexy cars, but rather by selling sleazy emissions “credits,” mandated by the state of California’s electric vehicle requirements...
This is an accurate statement. Tesla's stock value isn't based on its cars, but on its ability to generate cash in the emissions credit market. Its better than being a Columbian drug lord in terms of being able to generate quick cash with almost zero cost of doing business.

To be fair, that's not Tesla's fault. What they are doing is legal and legit. I find fault in the gov idiots who created a "market" for emissions credits in the first place.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 08:06 AM   #69

Wow!!!!! A Trev0006 topic that has generated 4 pages worth of response, I never thought I'd see that.

Regarding Tesla stock, it's sure had a great run but IMO be VERY wary of investing in anything the government meddles in.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:37 AM   #70
Certified Boxster Addict

Finally, the facts about batteries are coming out and they make Love Canal look like a nice city park.

Tesla Motors' Dirty Little Secret Is a Major Problem - DailyFinance
1979 911 SC
Old 01-21-2014, 10:22 AM   #71
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Old 01-21-2014, 11:51 AM   #72
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Fear has nothing to do with the toxicity of Li-ion batteries. Its real and the EV industry needs to address it.
1979 911 SC
Old 01-21-2014, 02:47 PM   #73
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Awww, c'mon! That picture is funny
What you posted is a bit exaggerated and blown out of proportion, but it does have its points. Innovation is never easy and there are always hurdles, but nitpicking at one small aspect of that innovation is indicative of the natural fear of change.

Lithium is but one electron storage technology and it's already on its way out. Change is always difficult and even painful. This change is going to happen and there isn't much point in trying to argue the fine points. Time and effort are much better spent solving problems instead of talking about them
Just look back in history...Edison spent countless dollars and time to discredit and ridicule Tesla and his AC. Why? Did he really think that AC was as dangerous as he made it out to be? No. He did so because Tesla's AC threatened his wallet and pride...it scared him. It's the same story repeated over and over. So, you see, debate is useless in the face of real innovation. I'd rather be on the side of innovation, not the side that fights it.

I completely respect your opinion, even if I don't fully agree, but I'm a problem solver so I'll leave the debate to the debaters.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:58 PM   #74
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Awww, c'mon! That picture is funny
What you posted is a bit exaggerated and blown out of proportion, but it does have its points. Innovation is never easy and there are always hurdles, but nitpicking at one small aspect of that innovation is indicative of the natural fear of change.

Lithium is but one electron storage technology and it's already on its way out. Change is always difficult and even painful. This change is going to happen and there isn't much point in trying to argue the fine points. Time and effort are much better spent solving problems instead of talking about them
Just look back in history...Edison spent countless dollars and time to discredit and ridicule Tesla and his AC. Why? Did he really think that AC was as dangerous as he made it out to be? No. He did so because Tesla's AC threatened his wallet and pride...it scared him. It's the same story repeated over and over. So, you see, debate is useless in the face of real innovation. I'd rather be on the side of innovation, not the side that fights it.

I completely respect your opinion, even if I don't fully agree, but I'm a problem solver so I'll leave the debate to the debaters.
Then why not hydrogen?

1979 911 SC