View Single Post
Old 06-21-2013, 01:34 PM   #9
Eric G
Theoretical propagandist

Garage
While you can feel comfortable in the fact they are moving some issues forwards, and solar use currently is on the rise, you failed to consider the other factors that occur behind the scenes that make all of those conveniences you just mentioned happen. Your case for home charging is novel, but it fails the ho ho test when it comes to the cost structure. Your average American family does not and will not have the necessary funds to even come close to being able to enjoy any of the advantages "solar" can provide. Add to this a artificially supported industry (in this case solar) through loans and trade agreements that will be changing in the near term.

Yes you will have sales and yes the numbers may look impressive at first...but look at the market sector that is capitalizing on this and then couple that to the individuals who are buying. They are not your standard American families. With the Tesla it is no different than the exotic car market. Thriving...yes, sales through the roof...yes, do you see them in every driveway and every home? No, it is a niche market that is supported by a specific few and that is the case here as well.

As for my research, I work at one of the leading U.S. National Laboratories (for the last 20 years) which has as one facet of our research the US and Global energy sector. Additionally, we also have a human factors and social science section as well. These groups have and still are looking into many of the topics raised here. Now, it does no good to start spouting papers and research studies as people that have a passionate feeling for a topic tend not to want to hear scientific results. I stand by my comments...