Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2013, 04:02 PM   #1

Sears............

Long story Short...........Had a very bad experience with them today customer service wise.....others?

Last edited by coreseller; 03-03-2013 at 06:17 PM.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 04:51 PM   #2

Garage
I've found that waterboarding, tooth extraction, or better yet, scaphism, can be very persuasive in these types of situations.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger View Post
I've found that waterboarding, tooth extraction, or better yet, scaphism, can be very persuasive in these types of situations.
scaphism? JD.....I may need to retain your services in the near future.

BTW..............JD's Action Adventure CD has truly elevated my Testosterone Level......Seriously.......
Old 03-03-2013, 06:38 PM   #4

Yeah, I've sworn of Sears - less than acceptable experiences three times in a row. Poor customer service and terrible selection. All that's important to them is to try and sign you up for one of their credit cards.

Scaphism, eh? I had to look that one up.

Last edited by Mark_T; 03-03-2013 at 06:45 PM.
Mark_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:43 PM   #5
Theoretical propagandist

Garage
My moto was Crapsman free by 2003! They use to be a good company, but as with most businesses, time corrupts all things and these guys are a good choice for the number one slot on this.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:50 AM   #6
Track rat

Garage
Essentially all brick and mortar retail stores are having a rough go these last few years and the most established/least flexible are faring the worst. I grew up with Sears and most of my tools are Craftsman which I like. They served this country well for over 100 years but they have clearly lost their way.

After killing off most of the local mom and pop hardware stores, Home Depo and Lowes seem to be in trouble as well. Not a good sign for a DIYer.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:25 PM   #7
Certified Boxster Addict

I also have lost faith in Sears despite a garage full of Craftsman tools.

Funny story - my father in law has two daughters (my wife and her sister) so for 30 years I HAVE to put a list of Craftsman (and only Craftsman) tools on my Christmas list so my father in law can go to Sears and buy me some tools!
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 03-05-2013 at 03:29 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:03 PM   #8

Got to thinking about it, for whatever reason all of the issues I have had with Sears (total of 3) were all over appliances:

-15 years back when we built our house, Sears was who our builder recommended for appliances. I walked out of Sears frustrated and drove straight to Best Buy and spent $6k there.
-2 years ago tried to set up a water heater purchase / install for my mother's house, the salesman couldn't of been less helpful / responsive, we bought elsewhere.
-This scenario.

When it comes to anything tool related I've had great luck and service, you just have to make sure what you buy is "Craftsman" brand.

Learned my lesson on yard equipment years back; Stihl or Toro Commercial Grade.

Sears has had 5 CEO's in 7 years, the stock plummeted from $190 after the merger with K-Mart to well under $50 (today $46) and very blunt talk of selling off spinoffs (Craftsman, Kenmore, DieHard, etc.) spells a VERY uncertain future for one of America's iconic stores. Pretty sad to witness.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:47 PM   #9

Well, The Sears Team certainly didn't disappoint.............We were told in NO uncertain terms that we would hear back within 48 hours from corporate contacting us via email from the offending store. Well, it's been over 72 hours and nothing via email, land line nor cell #. This company's future seems Pre-Ordained..........................Ohio Attorney General and BBB Here We Come.................
Old 03-12-2013, 12:32 PM   #10

We were finally notified today by the store manager (exactly 1 week after Chicago Sears Corporate promised we would be), my guess is they heard from the BBB and / or Ohio AG as a result of our notifying them both. End Result; replacement part (entire freezer door) is on it's way to our house to replace the one that was dented (by their employees) after we purchased it .

What truly upset me through this entire mess was the ease with which we were lied to by three separate Sears Employees while they looked us straight in the eye, unbelievable.

The wife and I certainly learned quite a bit last year (cancer, surgery, 6 months of chemo) about what's truly important in life and this situation is far from "up there", but I will say, the principle of this really grated me.

Rant over.

Last edited by coreseller; 03-12-2013 at 12:35 PM.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:54 PM   #11
Track rat

Garage
Thanks for the post Coreseller.

On Sunday I found water dripping out of our 10 yr old Maytag fridge. I opened the door and things were getting warm. I had repaired this thing 3 times over it's life but the compressor was getting noisy and the smell of leaking refrigerant confirmed it's death. A bit of internet research and I found a few highly rated replacements that passed the wife test. Now off to find one in stock before all the food is lost.

Best Buy..... nah, Sears... maybe not , Lowes it is! The new fridge was delivered and installed on Monday at no extra charge.

Sorry Sears, not this time! Only a highly customer-focused overhaul will save your business now.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:56 PM   #12

We purchased top of the line WhirlPool Duet washer and dryer with stands from Lowes a couple of years back, everything went smooth as silk. Bought a Bosch dishwasher from Best Buy around thanksgiving of last year, very happy w / purchase and install. Last appliance we will be looking to buy (unless it soldiers on which we are hoping it will) is an oven. The fridge from Sears was an anomaly IMO, at least I hope so for Sear's sake. While you guys really don't know me, I really don't go looking for an argument.

Regarding my scenario w / Sears:

Honestly, had the described lying not occurred, I would of let it drop with a simple "sorry" or something to that effect, seriously. Life is short and I frankly have more important battles to wage. This was not at all about me or the wife "getting our way", this was about being lied to plain and simple. Rubbed my Rhubarb I tell ya.......
Old 03-12-2013, 03:29 PM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreseller View Post
We were finally notified today by the store manager (exactly 1 week after Chicago Sears Corporate promised we would be), my guess is they heard from the BBB and / or Ohio AG as a result of our notifying them both. End Result; replacement part (entire freezer door) is on it's way to our house to replace the one that was dented (by their employees) after we purchased it .

What truly upset me through this entire mess was the ease with which we were lied to by three separate Sears Employees while they looked us straight in the eye, unbelievable.

The wife and I certainly learned quite a bit last year (cancer, surgery, 6 months of chemo) about what's truly important in life and this situation is far from "up there", but I will say, the principle of this really grated me.

Rant over.
Truth be known, it was the call from The Strategic World Command that put the scare in them. I'm referring to the Ohio AG and the BBB !
Old 03-13-2013, 02:10 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger View Post
Truth be known, it was the call from The Strategic World Command that put the scare in them. I'm referring to the Ohio AG and the BBB !
I always knew our friendship would pay off.........................