Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2020, 08:03 AM   #1

Garage
Dipping a Toe in the Water

Good Morning. I am Lynn Garner (male gender) in El Paso Texas. After having brought back two MGB Roadsters from the basket I am considering acquiring a Boxter S. I am currently looking at one that has 93,000 miles on it. Carfax shows no accidents, body and original interior look great, five year old Michelin tires. Carfax also shows no repairs except a front bumper repaint (no clutch, brake, IMS, oil separator, expansion tank repair/replacement, etc). The car looks original to me. Convertible top works and it includes the optional hard top. No oil leaks. So here comes the big question..

If a boxter has made it to 93000 miles, doesn't leak, everything works, no mechanical repairs in its history on any of the usual suspects, am I home free? This car is owned by a wealthy professional and his wife. It seems to be her car. If gently driven can a clutch and brakes last that long? If the IMS and oil separator has made it this far is it not likely to fail? How do you assess the situation? Please pardon my ignorance and/or naivete and give me the full unvarnished opinions. Thanks. I look forward to hearing from you. lg

lynngarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 10:18 AM   #2
NewUserName

No. Not home free.
Plastics as in boots, insulation, bushings,.. all deteriorate with age and exposure, not miles.
You don't mention year. Are they original owners? Was it garaged? Those are considerations.
Engage a Porsche-wise mechanic to do an evaluation.
DoninDel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 11:52 AM   #3

Garage

Thanks DoninDel. This car has lived most of its life in the west Texas desert. Garage kept the past 14 years and most of the rest of its life. I did all rubber on my two MGs (gaskets, seals, bushings) so I am fairly familiar with that drill.

Guess I was asking more about the main and common repair items I mentioned in the first post.

Keep those thoughts coming. lg
Old 08-15-2020, 12:36 PM   #4
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Welcome to the forum Lynn. I have bought a lot of Boxsters (note the "S" in Boxster) in marginal to poor condition and have done most of the maintenance and repair work that comes up around 100,000 miles a few times. The one that you are describing sounds like a decent find, but on any ~20 year old used car proceed with caution. I have never had a Pre-Purchase Inspection done, but I do highly recommend one if you are not very familiar with these cars.

Making it to 93,000 miles without any major work done does not mean that you are "home free". To me it means that the normal wear items such as the AOS, coolant expansion tank, window regulators, CV boots, and rubber suspension parts will probably need replacement in the next couple years. I don't see that as bad. It's just upkeep on a 20 year old car and better to do yourself than have it as 'unknowns'. The original clutches on these cars can last a very long time and it's likely still good for a while. I'd strongly consider an IMS bearing upgrade when the clutch is done, but not worry about it until then. The brakes are the easiest I have ever worked on *unless* the caliper bolts are seized (start with the penetrating oil early).

If you have restored an MGB I don't doubt that you have the skill and fortitude to DIY most of the maintenance on a Boxster. They are actually easy to work on once you become familiar with them.
Old 08-15-2020, 02:23 PM   #5

Garage

Thanks 78. This really tells me a lot of what I need to know. I failed to answer Donin's question about the car's age -- it is a 2001 Boxter S.

Others please feel free to offer up thoughts, opinions. lg
Old 08-30-2020, 11:17 AM   #6

Garage
I did it

Well I dipped the toe in the water. Came home with the 2001 Boxster S with 93,000 miles on it. I had the chance to drive it 300 miles home on my first day of ownership. It went very well. Now to learn all about this cool little beast.

Tags
986 s , carfax , ims , oil separator , opinion