View Single Post
Old 08-15-2020, 12:36 PM   #4
78F350
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Welcome to the forum Lynn. I have bought a lot of Boxsters (note the "S" in Boxster) in marginal to poor condition and have done most of the maintenance and repair work that comes up around 100,000 miles a few times. The one that you are describing sounds like a decent find, but on any ~20 year old used car proceed with caution. I have never had a Pre-Purchase Inspection done, but I do highly recommend one if you are not very familiar with these cars.

Making it to 93,000 miles without any major work done does not mean that you are "home free". To me it means that the normal wear items such as the AOS, coolant expansion tank, window regulators, CV boots, and rubber suspension parts will probably need replacement in the next couple years. I don't see that as bad. It's just upkeep on a 20 year old car and better to do yourself than have it as 'unknowns'. The original clutches on these cars can last a very long time and it's likely still good for a while. I'd strongly consider an IMS bearing upgrade when the clutch is done, but not worry about it until then. The brakes are the easiest I have ever worked on *unless* the caliper bolts are seized (start with the penetrating oil early).

If you have restored an MGB I don't doubt that you have the skill and fortitude to DIY most of the maintenance on a Boxster. They are actually easy to work on once you become familiar with them.