Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2005, 03:32 PM   #1

Maintenance cost for a boxster

I currently own a 350Z and I'm starting to have problems with my tires. How many miles can one expect to get out of a boxster before replacing the tires? And what is the average cost for a brake job? What annual maintenance should I expect for a used boxster, like a 2001 or 2002. I know sports cars cost more and have more maintenance and I knew that going into my Z purchase but I'm not happy with tire feathering ruining tires before 15k miles.

steig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 09:11 AM   #2

Not sure the Boxster is any better. Seems as though rear tires can go out as quickly as 8-10,000 miles with 12,000 miles being "good". Fronts can do better, maybe as good as 15,000, maybe more.
Plus, to get those miles with spirited driving, the pressures need to be checked closely, tires balanced regularly, and alignment checked regularly. The Boxster is very sensitive to alignment.
I test drove a 350Z just before I got my Boxster. Great motor, great torque. But the handling of the Boxster sold me. I would recommend finding a Boxster and driving it to see whether it suits or not.
If you're looking for a car that's easy on tires, this may not be it.
Maintenance costs can be significant unless you DIY on some items. This forum has tons of info on various DIY. It would be useful to check out (a) dealer quality and prices, and (b) is there an alternative repair shop to the dealer. We have a GREAT shop nearby for all the folks out of warranty, and this gives me major peace of mind. The local Porsche club would be a good contact, or a longtime owner
But in the end the giggle factor in the corners makes up for it all by far, IMHO. The car rocks.
limoncello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 03:38 PM   #3

tire wear

I don't agree with 12,000 miles. I got 22,000 on the rears with my first set. The fronts could have gone further, but I changed all 4 because I was changing brands. I drive quite spirited, but all on the street. No track. I have heard the 350Z's are hard on tires.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:52 PM   #4

So far my maintenance costs have been waaay less than my 1992 MB 190E (that I sold last year). What a hangar queen.

Also maintenance costs are less than my 1995 Honda del Sol that just went through major brake service, major coolant system service, and was due for major suspension service. That car was costing $500-1000 every six months. But then 200k miles does that to you, I loved that car and drove it to the ground.

One key with the Boxster is to shop around between dealers for pricing. I saw 30k service between $650 and $899. Then I read on this forum that someone got it for under $500.

Then also make the call what service you do at the dealer (warrantee stuff) and what you do at an independent mechanic. Independents are consistently less than half the price of the dealer.

My 2002 Boxster has been a very reliable car for me (for these five months so far) but I still kept $1000 in my budget for the 30k service, and will continue to hold a good chunk of cash aside for the unexpected.
xavier405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 04:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by steig
I currently own a 350Z and I'm starting to have problems with my tires. How many miles can one expect to get out of a boxster before replacing the tires? And what is the average cost for a brake job? What annual maintenance should I expect for a used boxster, like a 2001 or 2002. I know sports cars cost more and have more maintenance and I knew that going into my Z purchase but I'm not happy with tire feathering ruining tires before 15k miles.

I believe there is a recall on that specific problem. I was looking to buy a 350Z, on the forums and stuff and found that they are really hard on the rear tires. Nissan then may have put a TSB out to adjust the camber settings on the rear. Check into it : )
KRZTACO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 06:34 PM   #6

Boxster rear tires are usually gone by 15K and can be so even before that depending on driving style.

Front tires will last longer, say 20K or so.

Hope that helps.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 09:23 AM   #7

Don't blame the car

All depends on the specific tire used and driving style put onto them.

I'm able to do 30kkm on Pirelli Asymetro 18" rear tires in my BoxsterS without track days but let's say spirited road driving :-)

However I'm also able to wear a completely new set of rear tires completely down in a single trackday...

Mark.
markk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 09:22 PM   #8
creseida

It depends on several factors.

1. Do you keep your tires properly inflated?

2. Do you keep your car properly alligned?

3. Do you keep them balanced?

Since Boxter tires are unidirectional and two different sizes, short of dismounting them and swapping rims for the fronts and rears, you really cannot rotate them. So allignment and inflation are the two biggest causes of premature wear patterns.

Your driving patterns also affect wear. If you spend a lot of time trying to get maximum g's in your turns, you will get more wear.

The roads you drive on also affect wear. Smoothness of the asphault/concrete/pavement will affect wear.

I got 35,000 miles out of the original Conti's on my boxster. They could have gone probably 5,000 more, but I got a fantastic deal on some P-zero's.....
Old 01-09-2006, 07:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by steig
There was a recall on your 350Z for the 1st 2 years of production it had to do with caster and camber, it was impossible to the proper adjustemnts with out making changes on the front end, tires were wearing unavenly, pavement slapping produce a loud noise, pulling. feathering on tires refer to this condition you might have a chance to have this conditon corrected by the dealer.
good luck.

boxtex is offline   Reply With Quote