View Single Post
Old 07-19-2005, 09:11 AM   #2
limoncello

Not sure the Boxster is any better. Seems as though rear tires can go out as quickly as 8-10,000 miles with 12,000 miles being "good". Fronts can do better, maybe as good as 15,000, maybe more.
Plus, to get those miles with spirited driving, the pressures need to be checked closely, tires balanced regularly, and alignment checked regularly. The Boxster is very sensitive to alignment.
I test drove a 350Z just before I got my Boxster. Great motor, great torque. But the handling of the Boxster sold me. I would recommend finding a Boxster and driving it to see whether it suits or not.
If you're looking for a car that's easy on tires, this may not be it.
Maintenance costs can be significant unless you DIY on some items. This forum has tons of info on various DIY. It would be useful to check out (a) dealer quality and prices, and (b) is there an alternative repair shop to the dealer. We have a GREAT shop nearby for all the folks out of warranty, and this gives me major peace of mind. The local Porsche club would be a good contact, or a longtime owner
But in the end the giggle factor in the corners makes up for it all by far, IMHO. The car rocks.
limoncello is offline   Reply With Quote