Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2007, 12:56 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to LoveBunny
Thinking about a Boxster...

Hi there. I registered for this forum a few years ago and was fully planning on getting a Boxster. Then I got a great deal on a Lexus and stopped thinking about it, at least for a while. Now I've had the Lexus three years and keep thinking about Porsche again. I've never driven a Boxster though. My only experience driving a Porsche is a 1983 944 I used to own way back when. Loved it though.

So now even though I don't NEED a new car I keep thinking I should at least go test drive a Boxster. But I also like the Cayman and 911. Honestly, first instinct tells me I'd want a 911, but it's so much more expensive. And also, I've never driven any of them at all. I'm just saying 911 because it's such a classic sportscar. If I want a car soon I could get the Boxster. If I want the 911 I should probably wait a couple years and save some money. Cayman I believe is about the same price as Boxster.

So I'd love to hear some opinions, advice, whatever. Are the dealerships pushy as far as trying to get you to buy the car or do they understand that these cars are pretty expensive and people might want to actually take their time to make a decision?

LoveBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 02:35 PM   #2

Driving is the only way to really tell how you will feel about the car.

I would suggest taking at least 3 test rides in each car that floats your boat. If you like the Box, drive it again.

It is different from a Lexus but very very nice indeed.

If the dealer objects to your taking your time, find another fast.

Best of luck.

PS-I have owned a many boxes and 911s. I prefer the Box, but that is just me.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 03:41 PM   #3

thanks. I am sure it'll be much different from the Lexus, especially because my Lexus is an SUV. I guess the only way to know for sure will be to go on some test drives.
Old 12-13-2007, 05:15 PM   #4
bmussatti

We need more Forum members with user names like "LoveBunny"!
Old 12-13-2007, 05:40 PM   #5

Quote:

'We need more Forum members with user names like "LoveBunny"! '

Posted by bmussatti.

I'll second that!

Hey LoveBunny---go drive a Boxster (or two, or three). Even if you don't buy one, ya gotta drive one! (My oldest son keeps buggin' me about how I need to go and test drive an Elise. There's no chance I'll buy one---not even sure I'll comfortably FIT in one, but you know what? Come spring time, I'm going to take that test drive.)
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 06:39 PM   #6

LoveBunny, if you think you want a Boxster now, go test drive one....... and then you will DEFINITELY want a Boxster!!
Old 12-13-2007, 08:12 PM   #7
Pat

Going from a Lexus SUV to a Boxster is a big change. I don't see how anyone would be a candidate for both vehicles at the same time. Unless, of course, you really have no needs other tha image/perception. Seriously, these are about as far from each other as you can get. How can anyone really consider both an option?
I don't mean to bag on you. It just seems like an odd question to me, that's all. Can you help me understand?
Old 12-14-2007, 04:13 AM   #8

Quote:

"Going from a Lexus SUV to a Boxster is a big change."

Posted by Pat.

Yeah it is. Which is why she should probably drive a few before she thinks about buying one!

BTW, LoveBunny: You should probably think about changing your avatar...I'm pretty sure that's a DOG.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 06:18 AM   #9
FTD

I say test drive everything. I wanted a small, sporty convertible. How much fun to test drive every small, sporty convertible I could think of! Its free, doesn't take much time, and if you like to drive, its entertaining. Then when you can't sleep for thinking about the one you enjoyed most - you know which one to get.
FTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 06:28 AM   #10

I have both a Boxster and a Lexus RX 300. Both have their place for me. The Lexus is great for trips with the family, hauling things, and gets us through the snow. The Boxster is great for other times. There is no comparison between the two as far as driving is concerned. I love getting into my Boxster, lowering the top and driving. Nothing else is like the sound and feel of a Boxster. I’ve never driven a Cayman or a 911, that’ll be left up to you. Good Luck with what ever choice you make.
Tom Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 12:18 PM   #11

Yes, going from a Lexus SUV to a Boxster is a big change! I actually was interested in a boxster years ago when I got the Lexus, but I got a deal on the Lexus I couldn't pass up. It was my brother's and he didn't want it anymore because he hated car payments. So all I had to do was start paying the payments and it was mine at a great interest rate. So like I say, was a very good deal. I do like the Lexus, but in the back of my mind is always how much I'd love a fun sporty car, a Porsche.

I do admit that the shifting might get annoying in driving in traffic, but no way would I buy an automatic Porsche. No offense to anyone who has one, but that's not for me.

I don't have any kids, so all I need to worry about mostly is driving around myself. The only other concern I have is my dad, who has a hip and knee replacement, might have trouble getting in and out of it if I drive him places. But I'm sure it wouldn't be awful for him. I do also bring my dog (in the avatar) in the car with me in a crate, so I'd have to be sure I could fit a crate in the front seat when she's with me.

So I really need to find the time to go test drive some cars and see how I feel. I've only ever even ridden in a Boxster so that is my limited experience with them, other than staring at them in traffic. I'm kind of hoping I like it better than a 911, becuase of the price, but I do like that a 911 has a back seat, even though it's a small one. All in all though, it'll come down to what I like to drive enough to want to spend some money on.
Old 12-14-2007, 12:29 PM   #12
FTD

I like the body design of the Boxster over the 911. I also like the price better. Easy decision for me.

I think its the best looking roadster on the road, and a blast to drive. More horsepower would be more fun, but no matter how much power that is probably a true statement.

Have fun in your discovery.
FTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 02:00 PM   #13

The 911 is a serious car that has a high cost upkeep, no disrespect but it sounds like you just want a nice looking car that’s fun to drive. Take my advice, you live in New Orleans where it’s hot most of the year.Take your dad and dog for a ride in the Lexus with an AC, when you want to have fun take the Boxster out with the top down for a run. You won't go wrong, and I hope everything works out for everyone down there. You guys really took it on the chin down there.
Tom Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 02:08 PM   #14

yeah, I have heard of the upkeep on the 911 being much higher. It's all going to depend I guess on what I like driving the best. I won't have two cars though. I'll be getting rid of the Lexus if I get a Porsche.
Old 12-14-2007, 06:24 PM   #15

and how in the hell do I get that picture of my dog sticking her tongue out off of my avatar? I can't remember how I got it in there to begin with.
Old 12-14-2007, 06:41 PM   #16

If the new car will be your only car, then price, fit, feel and how you plan to use the car boils it down to a few choices. After fit, feel and price, to my mind its about space capacity.

Would you ever have an occasion that you might need the rear seats of a 911? They are not useful for much, but could come in handy either as seats for passengers or as open storage area.

If not, then the Box or Cayman would work depending on your preference for a drop top or not.

The Boxster is the perfect car for me at this point in life. As my 20 month old grandaughter gets older, I"ll need the rear seats of the 911 and will swap cars at that point, likely for a 99-04 911
past: 2010 Boxster S
turbo23dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 06:46 PM   #17

I don't often drive with other people in my car, but I do go places with my dad and brother often enough that not having a back seat is of a little concern. Of course it's not like I'm the only one with a car or anything, but for some reason I seem to drive a lot. Might just be because it's more comfortable to ride in my Lexus than my brother's Jeep, and riding with my dad driving can be downright scary so we never ask him to drive.

So that would be the main reason. Now, if I did ride with them in the car and use the back seat, guess who would be back there though? Not my 60+ year-old dad and not my 6-foot-tall brother.
Old 12-15-2007, 02:52 AM   #18

I just got back from New Orleans and it was Dec and 80 degrees, I realize that it is not always like that, but it is warm enough to have the top down whenever you feel like it. Heated seats. In a week I only saw 2 Boxsters there and one had Washington plates on it. I had choices and chose the Boxster. you may choose differently but all your choices are a blast. I spent weeks going for test rides on all kinds of sports cars and had one of the best periods in my life. All the choices you had were different and only you can make it , but if you ask the oponion of people on a Boxster forum they are not going to tell you to get a 911. We all love our cars because of the handling, looks and affordability. Good Luck on your hunt. Nice dog, I have a Silky, a Wirehaired Mini Daschund and a Black Lab-Golden mix , and they all love the riding in the Boxster with the top down. Ed
cvhs18472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 04:43 PM   #19

I don't know what the temperature is right now, but my A/C is on, so definitely warm enough for the top down. I don't see many Boxsters here, but there are a few. I saw one today and was thinking how nice it would be to be in a convertible. My dad said he knows someone who works at the dealer here, unless the guy has retired by now, so going to check on that. I'm going to go on some test drives soon when I get the chance and I'll report back how it went.

How much difference is there with the Boxster and Boxster S? Is it really worth the extra $$$? Seems like a pretty significant price difference.
Old 12-15-2007, 06:20 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBunny
How much difference is there with the Boxster and Boxster S? Is it really worth the extra $$$? Seems like a pretty significant price difference.
This gets to some parts of the "feel" part. Some will say that the base Box is plenty enough oomph for their driving style. Others who have a need for more go and stop pedal under foot will want the S model at any cost.

During my search, I drove several base Boxsters before geting a spin in an S model and after finding a huge difference in performance, that sold me on the S. Besides the S model has a few interior upgrades that make living conditions a bit nicer too.

Good luck,
Rich

past: 2010 Boxster S
turbo23dog is offline   Reply With Quote