Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2008, 01:04 PM   #1

Some newbie maintenance/repair questions!

Hi there everyone. To give you some lead in, I'm a current Audi A4 owner(daily) and 88 Mitsu Starion owner(daily between April and November - http://s159.photobucket.com/albums/t142/molotovmaz/ - ) I change my own oil, brakes, and timing belt on my A4. I've done just about everything on my Starion(more than 300wtq at the moment, but I can get more...)

I've liked the Boxters for a while and now that I'm able to, I'm ready to start looking for one. I've got plenty of time, so I'm in no rush, and am really looking for something around the 16K range. White /w red int and a black hardop for winter would be awesome!

Originally, I got the A4 for a nice, higher end car I could drive all year, but the sedan-ness has worn on me and I dread driving it. Also, A4s are notorious for electrical problems, and I have plenty. Dead radio, gas gauge doesn't work most of the time, digital display is garbled, stuff like that. To top it off, the warranty burned me pretty good, too.

My question, is IF things go wrong, is it easy(enough) to make the repairs myself? I know the PPI needs to be done and all, but unless it's a really hairy problem, would there be anything to keep me from making repairs myself(like computer issues?) That's one of the things I LOVE about my Starion. I can fix everything on that car. The A4, on the other hand...

Thanks for any info!

http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/292/reconstructpw2.gif
"And remember: Don't crush 'em, restore 'em."
Mazarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 01:09 PM   #2

Boxsters are very easy to DIY. Basics (oil, filter, plugs, brakes, Belts) are simple. Some have lots of niggling problems, others have no issues at all. Go for it!
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 01:18 PM   #3

Thats what I was hoping for! I've been looking around for reviews and reports and I've heard nothing but glowing remarks for the car. Are there any particular differences between the models from 96 to the 00's?

Also, is it better to look for a newer Boxter w/ more miles or an older one w/ less miles? I'm seeing in a couple places saying if you go used, don't do less that 30K for a used one around that age, is that true?

Mazarin is offline   Reply With Quote