Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2016, 11:00 AM   #1

Expert engine removal

I have posted a few engine R&R video links in the past but this 4 part series is the most entertaining so far. No affiliation with the 'mechanics' or shop:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z47jyNJQfiQ
The Jet 1 video is better technically.
Enjoy.

Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 05:34 AM   #2

Garage
Nice, thanks for posting
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 08:57 AM   #3

My concern is that LA Dismantlers make it look too easy.
That may give some of us misguided confidence.
They must have extracted thousands of Porsche engines. Most of us would be doing it for the first time without all their knowledge and equipment.
Old 11-07-2016, 01:21 PM   #4

Garage
"Most of us would be doing it for the first time without all their knowledge and
equipment."

Agreed, and I have no doubt the learning curve is steep

But they were entertaining, in much the same way that ballplayers make it all look so easy

CB
Cbonilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 01:58 PM   #5

Note the LA has the expert directing the whole operation and doing the critical parts himself. And that he is walking through a check list of safety items, even if it only in his head.

I was surprised at the few and unspecialized tools they were using. I expected a specialized engine/trans cradle would be receiving and lowering the engine but it is just a common forklift. And the transmission separation is just done by manpower. I also didn't see any padding to prevent scratching.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 04:35 PM   #6
Artist, 986S tinkerer

Maybe we worry too much. I dropped my engine the first winter that I had it in my garage storage. Looked at a few DIY posts and relied on 101 and Bentley's. Took it out, fixed it, put it back in and started her up. It ran just fine (phew!)
YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 07:45 PM   #7

Newart is a genius.
Having done the R&R of the M96 myself recently, mere normal people will have difficulty with this task. Just look at the Roaring Tigers JET1 video and read Wayne's account.They made mistakes and broke things despite being very experienced, having plenty of expert help and having way more equipment than most of us.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZvWOZTa42E
Little things will get you like :
re-timing the engine precisely
Securing the a/c compressor and fitting ALL the nearby Inlet Manifold bolts -you need to count them before fitting the engine !
bolting down the inlet manifold after the engine is in the car and the a/c compressor installed
remembering the knock sensors
Correctly positioning & routing all the hoses,vac lines, grommets and wires.
fitting the new serpentine belt when that bolt spins
Getting the correct size O rings to ensure the p/s fluid reservoir does not leak
Burping the cooling system.
Fitting the DMF- when you forgot to chase the threads(use an old f/w bolt modified to chase) and forgot to repurpose the 70mm bolts you used to install the RMS as guide pins for the DMF
aligning and mating the transmission on your own if you don't have some M12(?) threaded rod to use as guide pins.
Refitting the 6 speed - even on a 2 post lift and with a Wudel Trans jack.Use the threaded rod previously used on the engine stand as guide pins and as thread chasers. Lightly dress the leading edge of the splines on the input shaft to avoid the difficulties others have experienced.Leave the gearbox in gear so you can rotate & mesh the splines. All this sounds excessive until you read the painful and dangerous accounts of difficulties people have with this.
And then there are all the "While you are in there" items ,that if you forget, you'll regret !
I could go on but......
It was NOT an easy task the first time for me.
So I am in awe of anyone who claims it was easy for them.

Last edited by Gelbster; 11-16-2016 at 04:09 PM.
Old 11-08-2016, 05:12 PM   #8
Artist, 986S tinkerer

Haha . Easy, no. Do-able, yes. I' ve done it and so have you. Yeah, you break some plastic bits that are 15 years old but you learn so much! I've always been very hands on, and honestly, I never thought that I would have a Porsche, figuring only rich people could afford such a thing. Now I have one and I see that I was right!
Seriously, it is so rewarding to do your own work! You learn, and you feel a real sense of accomplishment.
Really, this is not rocket science ( not that rocket science is all that complicated for us geniuses!) It's jus straight forward, methodical work!
Have fun! Get your hands dirty! Enjoy your Porsche to the max! :dance:
Old 11-08-2016, 06:51 PM   #9

Gosh, I thought it was just remove thee mounts and down she goes! Congrats to both of you.
My best of both worlds scenario would be to have me drop the motor (I have access to a lift) and then have a local experienced shop help me get trough the critical stuff.

At 132K miles, no real reason to pull the motor. Clutch good and no RMS leak. IMS is a crapshoot but the car owes me nothing...
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 07:43 PM   #10
Artist, 986S tinkerer

If it ain't broke, don't fix it, as they say.
Old 11-08-2016, 07:54 PM   #11

Oh, I have a lift, perfect working conditions,no time constraints ,all the tools and equipment,the skills,the budget, the machinist stuff.That is why I am ashamed to admit the difficulties. Equally ,I don't want noobs to charge into an engine R&R without a caution to do a lot of reading first !
All the advantages I had are inadequate unless you know all the "gotchas"also. The guys I admire are those who do this in their driveway with a few Harbor Freight tools.
That is why I linked the Roaring Tigers video of Jet 1 . There is no single place that lists all the issues. So each of us improvises,hacks and blunders through. If the Boxster had half the info there is for a Miata, it maybe would be easy !
One simple,minor example - why no mention of making a few guide pins to make fitting the DMF easier ? 3/8" brass rod would work I think.I just used a couple of odd pieces of of mild steel rod.Why not advise to check the reluctor teeth before you fit the clutch,in case you bent them installing the DMF ? If you miss this ,the engine will not start. You will never find out why until someone (maybe??) thinks of this obscure issue. Yup, you will need to remove the transmission+ exhaust system just to visually check!

Last edited by Gelbster; 11-16-2016 at 03:52 PM.
Old 12-08-2016, 11:47 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewArt View Post
If it ain't broke, don't fix it, as they say.
So says the guy who tags himself a 986S TINKERER !
Old 12-08-2016, 12:53 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelbster View Post
So says the guy who tags himself a 986S TINKERER !
HEY - who says New Art is a relation of mine.?
I know my father was a travelling man, but Canada's a long way from Yorkshire.....