View Single Post
Old 11-07-2016, 07:45 PM   #7
Gelbster

Newart is a genius.
Having done the R&R of the M96 myself recently, mere normal people will have difficulty with this task. Just look at the Roaring Tigers JET1 video and read Wayne's account.They made mistakes and broke things despite being very experienced, having plenty of expert help and having way more equipment than most of us.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZvWOZTa42E
Little things will get you like :
re-timing the engine precisely
Securing the a/c compressor and fitting ALL the nearby Inlet Manifold bolts -you need to count them before fitting the engine !
bolting down the inlet manifold after the engine is in the car and the a/c compressor installed
remembering the knock sensors
Correctly positioning & routing all the hoses,vac lines, grommets and wires.
fitting the new serpentine belt when that bolt spins
Getting the correct size O rings to ensure the p/s fluid reservoir does not leak
Burping the cooling system.
Fitting the DMF- when you forgot to chase the threads(use an old f/w bolt modified to chase) and forgot to repurpose the 70mm bolts you used to install the RMS as guide pins for the DMF
aligning and mating the transmission on your own if you don't have some M12(?) threaded rod to use as guide pins.
Refitting the 6 speed - even on a 2 post lift and with a Wudel Trans jack.Use the threaded rod previously used on the engine stand as guide pins and as thread chasers. Lightly dress the leading edge of the splines on the input shaft to avoid the difficulties others have experienced.Leave the gearbox in gear so you can rotate & mesh the splines. All this sounds excessive until you read the painful and dangerous accounts of difficulties people have with this.
And then there are all the "While you are in there" items ,that if you forget, you'll regret !
I could go on but......
It was NOT an easy task the first time for me.
So I am in awe of anyone who claims it was easy for them.

Last edited by Gelbster; 11-16-2016 at 04:09 PM.
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote