Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2014, 02:39 PM   #1
Certified Boxster Addict

AOS or more?

Racing at AutoClub Speedway this weekend. Car is running great. Drove the car from home to the track this morning (45mins), everything fine. First lap of the morning practice session, HUGE white billowing cloud out the back. Smoke clears and then it happens again on the infield portion. Engine power seems ok but I didn't push it too hard coming in.

I bring it into the paddock and there is smoke ONLY coming out of the passenger exhaust side! Is it possible for an AOS failure to only affect one side? Removed oil cap and not much vacuum (more than zero but not a lot). Checked engine codes - none.

My first inclination is that this is just an(other) AOS failure but I have never heard of it only affecting one bank. Decided not to drive the car anymore and its on the trailer this afternoon to Hergesheimer Motor Sports for eval.

Let me know your thoughts.

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 06-01-2014 at 07:20 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 04:26 PM   #2

Garage
Had the car leaned to that side or did you pull some G's that would make the oil sitting in the intake to flow to that side of the car? I'm sure it's just the AOS.

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 07:19 PM   #3
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jager View Post
Had the car leaned to that side or did you pull some G's that would make the oil sitting in the intake to flow to that side of the car? I'm sure it's just the AOS.
Yes, since you ask, just prior to the front straight is a sweeping left-hander where I was full-throttle in 3rd gear (probably pulling at least 1g) and the smoke screen hit just before turn exit when I was shifting to 4th gear at engine redline.

Are you thinking that may have forced oil that was introduced into the throttle body entirely/mostly to the passenger side intake runners?
1979 911 SC
Old 06-01-2014, 08:11 PM   #4
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
Yes, since you ask, just prior to the front straight is a sweeping left-hander where I was full-throttle in 3rd gear (probably pulling at least 1g) and the smoke screen hit just before turn exit when I was shifting to 4th gear at engine redline.

Are you thinking that may have forced oil that was introduced into the throttle body entirely/mostly to the passenger side intake runners?
This sounds correct. AOS failure sends oil into the intake manifold and from there it can go to either side.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 04:52 AM   #5

The one smoke bomb I blew at the track was after a relatively low g right turn at RRR onto the front straight. I was pulling hard at wot in 3rd once I passed the apex and when I changed into 4th and got back on the gas it hit. Huge cloud of smoke and some loss of power/misfires. In my case it was because I had overfilled the oil. S
Yours sounds like aos and if you were pulling hard g's then the smoke coming out one side could make sense? I guess the oil could get pulled to one side of the T where it splits the air off to two sides?
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 04:35 PM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post

Yes.

Don't know if you read this thread but oil will flow all over (bad AOS) depending on what direction the car is tilted:
http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/51401-oh-no-j%E4germobile-broke-today-3.html

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 06:06 PM   #7
Certified Boxster Addict

Looks like it was MUCH more than just the AOS. Found metal debris in the oil filter. I'll post up pic's later this evening in a new thread.
1979 911 SC
Old 06-03-2014, 06:37 PM   #8

Oh no !!!
I may have a lead on an engine down in Huntington Beach if you need a quick and easy "temporary" replacement to get you back on track ...
Ian c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 08:49 PM   #9

Well, it doesn't sound good. I'm assuming that your exhaust is split, in other words, cylinders 1-3 only exhaust out of one tailpipe and the 4-6 out of the other.

If that's the case, then if the AOS were bad, you would get smoke out of both tailpipes. The fact you only get smoke out of one, unfortunately, leads to the conclusion that one bank has a bad cylinder, either oil or coolant is getting out. Hopefully, it's just a cracked head, fairly comman and not an overly expensive fix.

But since you have metal in the filter, I would not start the car. Drop the sump plate and see what's in there and then do a leak down test and then a boroscopy to rule out a bad cylinder.

Hope for the best!

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano