986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   AOS or more? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/52494-aos-more.html)

thstone 06-01-2014 02:39 PM

AOS or more?

Racing at AutoClub Speedway this weekend. Car is running great. Drove the car from home to the track this morning (45mins), everything fine. First lap of the morning practice session, HUGE white billowing cloud out the back. Smoke clears and then it happens again on the infield portion. Engine power seems ok but I didn't push it too hard coming in.

I bring it into the paddock and there is smoke ONLY coming out of the passenger exhaust side! Is it possible for an AOS failure to only affect one side? Removed oil cap and not much vacuum (more than zero but not a lot). Checked engine codes - none.

My first inclination is that this is just an(other) AOS failure but I have never heard of it only affecting one bank. Decided not to drive the car anymore and its on the trailer this afternoon to Hergesheimer Motor Sports for eval.

Let me know your thoughts.

Jager 06-01-2014 04:26 PM

Had the car leaned to that side or did you pull some G's that would make the oil sitting in the intake to flow to that side of the car? I'm sure it's just the AOS.

thstone 06-01-2014 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jager (Post 403359)
Had the car leaned to that side or did you pull some G's that would make the oil sitting in the intake to flow to that side of the car? I'm sure it's just the AOS.

Yes, since you ask, just prior to the front straight is a sweeping left-hander where I was full-throttle in 3rd gear (probably pulling at least 1g) and the smoke screen hit just before turn exit when I was shifting to 4th gear at engine redline.

Are you thinking that may have forced oil that was introduced into the throttle body entirely/mostly to the passenger side intake runners?

Timco 06-01-2014 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thstone (Post 403391)
Yes, since you ask, just prior to the front straight is a sweeping left-hander where I was full-throttle in 3rd gear (probably pulling at least 1g) and the smoke screen hit just before turn exit when I was shifting to 4th gear at engine redline.

Are you thinking that may have forced oil that was introduced into the throttle body entirely/mostly to the passenger side intake runners?

This sounds correct. AOS failure sends oil into the intake manifold and from there it can go to either side.

steved0x 06-02-2014 04:52 AM

The one smoke bomb I blew at the track was after a relatively low g right turn at RRR onto the front straight. I was pulling hard at wot in 3rd once I passed the apex and when I changed into 4th and got back on the gas it hit. Huge cloud of smoke and some loss of power/misfires. In my case it was because I had overfilled the oil. S
Yours sounds like aos and if you were pulling hard g's then the smoke coming out one side could make sense? I guess the oil could get pulled to one side of the T where it splits the air off to two sides?

Jager 06-02-2014 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thstone (Post 403391)

Yes.

Don't know if you read this thread but oil will flow all over (bad AOS) depending on what direction the car is tilted:
http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/51401-oh-no-j%E4germobile-broke-today-3.html

thstone 06-03-2014 06:06 PM

Looks like it was MUCH more than just the AOS. Found metal debris in the oil filter. I'll post up pic's later this evening in a new thread.

Ian c 06-03-2014 06:37 PM

Oh no !!!
I may have a lead on an engine down in Huntington Beach if you need a quick and easy "temporary" replacement to get you back on track ...

san rensho 06-03-2014 08:49 PM

Well, it doesn't sound good. I'm assuming that your exhaust is split, in other words, cylinders 1-3 only exhaust out of one tailpipe and the 4-6 out of the other.

If that's the case, then if the AOS were bad, you would get smoke out of both tailpipes. The fact you only get smoke out of one, unfortunately, leads to the conclusion that one bank has a bad cylinder, either oil or coolant is getting out. Hopefully, it's just a cracked head, fairly comman and not an overly expensive fix.

But since you have metal in the filter, I would not start the car. Drop the sump plate and see what's in there and then do a leak down test and then a boroscopy to rule out a bad cylinder.

Hope for the best!

seningen 06-03-2014 09:21 PM

Cracked cylinder?

Still running on 5 of 6 maybe even all 6 but one cylinder
Suffered some serious damage.

Just my guess

Mike