Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2014, 02:37 PM   #1

Garage
Had an Altercation Today

I've been thinking about possible titles for this thread all day.

Bronco Red on Porsche boxster,

quick easy door removal on Porsche Boxster

Unconvental attempt at creating lambo dorrs on boxster goes terribly wrong.

Anyways something compelled me to take a photo of my car this morning before leaving... this is the photo

However after a long day at school today i left out trough the parking lot, most of the traffic gone, simply cruising along there is a bronco parked perpendicular to the parking lines against the road. Parallel to the thruway. As my car is already past the Bronco's rear end he decides it is time to pull his car out.. he turns the car towards the road and dug his big metal bumper into the side of my front right fender, where it snagged the seam holding the door and pulled the door off the hinge only being held on by the back lock. The bumper then scraped down the side of the Porsche.:ah:

Oh well it went down as his fault, i might let him pick the new color :dance:
In seriousness though if any members of the forum here has suggestions on how to go about the post accident process please do share, many thanks.

(Update: http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/52988-watch-out-johnny-danger.html )

Last edited by BIGJake111; 06-29-2014 at 08:26 PM.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 02:39 PM   #2

Garage

Old 05-05-2014, 02:40 PM   #3
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJake111 View Post
In seriousness though if any members of the forum here has suggestions on how to go about the post accident process please do share, many thanks.
Let your insurance company handle it, and get it to a reputable shop.

Also, can you post your photos so they're not... well, crooked?
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 02:50 PM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserion View Post
Let your insurance company handle it, and get it to a reputable shop.

Also, can you post your photos so they're not... well, crooked?
Lol idk i guess i was frazzled when taking them, the first photo is the only one with his hanging off bumper in the background. Oh well just glad it isnt my fault.. anyways does anyone suggest for or against it being driven to shops and appraisal when the time comes?
Old 05-05-2014, 03:03 PM   #5
I am my own mechanic....

Totaled? That looks deep. Wheel, fender, door, and so on.

Plan on buying it from insurance co cheap if they go that route?

It will be same color. They won't pay to repaint the entire car. I was backed into several months ago. Came out in the positive from the way she hit me and needed new litronics and got the hood & bumper sprayed.

ETA...very sorry to see that. I would be sick. Glad it wasn't your fault.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 03:10 PM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post
Totaled? That looks deep. Wheel, fender, door, and so on.

Plan on buying it from insurance co cheap if they go that route?

It will be same color. They won't pay to repaint the entire car. I was backed into several months ago. Came out in the positive from the way she hit me and needed new litronics and got the hood & bumper sprayed.

ETA...very sorry to see that. I would be sick. Glad it wasn't your fault.
All mechanicals seem fine and hopefully top was protected by being down, car pulls a bit now, airbags didn't deploy and it's not totaled at least to my knowledge, has yet to be appraised. Thank you for the concern and I would die If it was my fault. Will they compensate for lost resale value, if not I guess I'm defiantly holding into this one as a 2.5 spec racer.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Old 05-05-2014, 03:21 PM   #7
Damn Yankee

Garage
Looks like a write-off to me.

Prepare to make some tough decisions.

Just sayin'.................

TO
TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 03:23 PM   #8
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJake111 View Post
All mechanicals seem fine and hopefully top was protected by being down, car pulls a bit now, airbags didn't deploy and it's not totaled at least to my knowledge, has yet to be appraised. Thank you for the concern and I would die If it was my fault. Will they compensate for lost resale value, if not I guess I'm defiantly holding into this one as a 2.5 spec racer.

Likely no resale allowance. Maybe on a Ferrari.

It all comes down to what percentage of the car's BB value is the total repair bill, not can it be fixed.
Old 05-05-2014, 03:30 PM   #9

Ouch, sorry to hear about your day. It doesn't look like a total loss though. Maybe just a new door and new front fender...new wheel.
heliguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 03:37 PM   #10

Ouch, glad you are ok. And you just did all that work pulling off the front bumper cover and cleaning it out.

My son's old Miata was recently totaled, and it was heartbreaking (luckily just bumps and bruises and scrapes on him and his passenger0. All the work that we had done on it. We got a new used Miata, and I am finding that I don't want to redo the same work again...

You are in SC, I am not sure if they have a diminished value law there, basically it says that even if they fix your vehicle you have taken a loss in value by virtue of the fact that it has been wrecked and repaired. I had an old Chevy Lumina get hit and got an extra $2500 out of it.

If you have done any work on the car make sure you let your adjuster know. I was able to get around an extra $500 on the Miata because we had done some work, had receipts, and we also had just put on 4 new tires.

Best wishes and good luck! Hurry and get a new one so you can get to a Nasa HPDE

Steve
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 03:38 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by heliguy View Post
new wheel.
If you get a new wheel tell them you need 4 new tires so they all match. Timco got a new headlight to match the one they replaced since they didn't match after the replacement...
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 03:51 PM   #12

Garage
Yeah I'm starting to lean more twards totalled... From a bloody parking lot, not sure what I will do but we know some very good lawyers If it comes to that to get the money necessarily out of this

Old 05-05-2014, 03:55 PM   #13

Garage
And yes definitely planning on things matching and all, I believe we do have resale compensation, and I will make sure the glass top and such is put into consideration if the car ends up totalled, then idk if want to buy the car back sell off parts and such here or what, but as I said plan is to do whatever it takes to have the vehicle in the condition it was when I left for school today

Old 05-05-2014, 04:02 PM   #14

Garage
I am sorry to hear about the accident. Think about the two most important things in that neither of you was injured.
BFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 04:02 PM   #15
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
If you get a new wheel tell them you need 4 new tires so they all match. Timco got a new headlight to match the one they replaced since they didn't match after the replacement...
Timco whined and cried like a 2-year old with a skinned knee for that $3200 add-on! Have to say they were very sympathetic and understanding. I really laid it out and made a good case. Never threatened attorney, didn't need to. Just explained it was fair and they both matched before, even if both were cloudy.

In this case, I would want the rims painted to match. One painted or new rim will stand out. That's not how it looked before their driver negligently pulled out.

Good advise to see what your state says about resale.

Rim, F & R fenders, door, paint, align.......I'll bet it's a loss. Sorry man.
Old 05-05-2014, 04:41 PM   #16

No need to feel down. It's a car. There are tens of thousands of Boxsters, Caymans and Carreras on Autotrader every day. Sometimes people get attached to their cars when the car really doesn't deserve it. It's not going to cry for you when you lose your job or your wife leaves you with the dog.

But it's definitely a stressful experience. I often wonder if my car were to get totaled during a low speed incident how badly would I get burned. The insurance company would not compensate me for all the upkeep and upgrading. It would be an instant and expensive bath, a total wash really. Which is one reason why its good to move onto another Porsche every couple of years.

The best way to deal with this is to look for a good replacement. based on one incident I had recently, a minor event where an SUV backed into me, also in a parking lot. light damage but because of the width of the SUV it touched a lot parts on my car and caused just barely enough damage to put the other guy's insurance on the hook for all new parts. The replacement cost for a new bumper, fender, hood and one headlight was nearly half the market value of the car. But unlike your incident most people who saw me afterward could barely tell I'd just had a fender bender.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 05-05-2014 at 04:44 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 04:45 PM   #17

Bummer dude. hope everything works out well for you
Old 05-05-2014, 04:46 PM   #18

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
No need to feel down. It's a car. There are tens of thousands of Boxsters, Caymans and Carreras on Autotrader every day. Sometimes people get attached to their cars when the car really doesn't deserve it. It's not going to cry for you when you lose your job or your wife leaves you with the dog.

But it's definitely a stressful experience. I often wonder if my car were to get totaled during a low speed incident how badly would I get burned. The insurance company would not compensate me for all the upkeep and upgrading. It would be an instant and expensive bath, a total wash really. Which is one reason why its good to move onto another Porsche every couple of years.

The best way to deal with this is to look for a good replacement. based on one incident I had recently, a minor event where an SUV backed into me, also in a parking lot. light damage but enough damage to put the other guy's insurance for all new parts, The replacement cost for a new bumper, fender, hood and one headlight was nearly haf the market value of the car. But unlike this most people who saw me afterward could barely tell I'd just had a fender bender.

Not at all down about the car specifically i have never been attached to my specific boxster, however if i do not get another boxster of equal value... with a glass rear window out of this that is a loss that my mind can not comprehend haha I just do not allow for loses based on others mistakes. Would love to buy another but i litterally got an amazing deal on my car, and have seen no others for similar price that have a running motor lol much less add ons like the top and well conditioned leathers and a full history yada yada yada, If it was as simple as my car going to the yard and another boxsters same miles and all else in my driveway tomorrow i wouldn't mind, i just really hope to not have to downgrade my vehicular choice (or my next based off of resale value) from someone elses lack of looking over their shoulder.
Old 05-05-2014, 04:51 PM   #19

Cash is king. If you've got that in hand all manner of deals are possible. Maybe that will be your next chapter. The art of deal making.

p.s.
regarding your insurance, you must lawyer up if they total the car. My buddy had to do the same recently. Even His own adjuster was trying to get him to forgoe loss in residual value just so he'd have less paper work. An accidental that was entirely the fault of the other driver who decided to drive in reverse down a one way street just to save himself a drive around the block. I would never deal with an insurance company by myself for a large claim.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 05-05-2014 at 06:03 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 05:22 PM   #20

Just be sure the ins co gives you near retail for the car. You can buy boxsters in the south florida market all day for near wholesale. Hey, you might even make some money on the deal.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000