Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2023, 06:47 PM   #1

DIY: Tiptronic Transmission Removal/Install

Made a video for removing (and another for installing) the tiptronic transmission on my 2003 Porsche Boxster 986. I found very little information out there on these so hopefully seeing it will help a lot of people looking to do this themselves.

Removal Video
Install Video

2015 Ninja 300
TTGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2024, 06:26 PM   #2
Still Ticking Along

Auto trans removal/install....in the car

I can appreciate the videos, showing us on the bench how this is done, but can this be done with the engine still in the car?
I watched the video for the manual transmission, but do not find any video showing the auto trans remove/install with engine in the car. Trying to help a friend, so researching to learn and know steps for the process.
I did watch the starter replacement in the car, so thinking the auto trans could be removed with engine still in the car?
devildog80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2024, 02:02 AM   #3

It CAN (has) been done but it’s not fun I’m told
Old 07-01-2024, 09:42 AM   #4
Still Ticking Along

So......seems nobody really has a good answer so far.
Watched several videos, and looks like I could wing it, but really hoped someone could direct me towards more complete information from their personal experience.With the manual transmission swap video showing supports/mounts/linkage/etc coming off, the bench videos showing how to split engine & auto transmission, and the starter replacement videos.....should be able to get it done.
But if anyone has more info, please post.
Thanks
Old 07-01-2024, 10:20 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog80 View Post
Watched several videos, and looks like I could wing it, but really hoped someone could direct me towards more complete information from their personal experience.With the manual transmission swap video showing supports/mounts/linkage/etc coming off, the bench videos showing how to split engine & auto transmission, and the starter replacement videos.....should be able to get it done.
Thanks
Yes: forget about it. In order to change a tip car over to a manual, you are going to need to nearly disassemble the entire car, including the interior. And when you are done, you will have a "Frankenstein" car with little if any resale value.

If you want a manual Boxster, go out and buy one; trying to swap one is a nightmare and "the view is definitely not worth the climb"..............
Old 07-01-2024, 11:25 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog80 View Post
Thanks
Looks like you are going to have to be the pioneer and give us the necessary information after you do it
You should video the whole process and share it with us, THEN you will REALLY appreciate the videos :P
Old 07-04-2024, 03:32 PM   #7
Still Ticking Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Yes: forget about it. In order to change a tip car over to a manual, you are going to need to nearly disassemble the entire car, including the interior. And when you are done, you will have a "Frankenstein" car with little if any resale value.

If you want a manual Boxster, go out and buy one; trying to swap one is a nightmare and "the view is definitely not worth the climb"..............
I am NOT doing a swap auto for manual, I simply stated I needed to watch the "manual trans removal video", to see what supports and attachments needed to be removed from under the car. Any auto trans videos I found, show the engine/trans already on the bench, but I was looking for a video showing the replacement of the bad auto trans for a good auto trans.
Thanks for your input, as all info is helpful.
Old 07-04-2024, 03:46 PM   #8
Still Ticking Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTGator View Post
Looks like you are going to have to be the pioneer and give us the necessary information after you do it
You should video the whole process and share it with us, THEN you will REALLY appreciate the videos :P
Thank you, and I REALLY do appreciate the videos. I watch them all the time, when tackling things on my older Jeeps, that are a bit out of my wheelhouse. Even a bad video is helpful, and at times more informative than a good one. Shows you what NOT to do :/
Regarding doing a video myself......not sure when or if one will be made. I thought my friend had already purchased the car, but finding out he is holding off, until he can be sure of a replacement auto transmission (the one he was going to buy was sold on him), he is unable to do the work, and himself not a current Porsche owner, so not sure what is involved with the work to get this done. That is what he approached me with, to do 99% of the mechanical work, as he medically can't and has had very high quotes, which takes all the profit he was trying to make on the flip project.
To me....its all just nuts & bolts, everything has its purpose where its attached, and has an order how the work needs done. Our biggest issue, is to find that guide how to get it done RIGHT! Without that, the project would be timely, expensive, and again not worth taking on for either of us. So, our quest for knowledge continues.
All information is welcome, so keep posting if you have even a thread of something which will help.
Thanks