Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2015, 10:28 AM   #1

Stripped Coil Pack Screws

Tried to replace the coil packs in the car today. Coil pack screw furthest from the rear of the car is 100% stripped. Tried and tried and could not get it out. Feeling pretty defeated right now. Anyone have any suggestions on getting it out?

Also anyone know the part number for new coil pack screws? Did a search and found an old thread that said something on amazon was the same but no longer available. Already emailed pelican but same thread said they have to order them from Germany.

Thank you

Old 08-22-2015, 12:01 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlisabadman986 View Post
Tried to replace the coil packs in the car today. Coil pack screw furthest from the rear of the car is 100% stripped. Tried and tried and could not get it out. Feeling pretty defeated right now. Anyone have any suggestions on getting it out?

Also anyone know the part number for new coil pack screws? Did a search and found an old thread that said something on amazon was the same but no longer available. Already emailed pelican but same thread said they have to order them from Germany.

Thank you
The screw is in fact a standard M6-1 x 25mm socket head cap screw. You can get them from Lowes and even Amazon.com, and they have them in stainless steel as well.

Last edited by JFP in PA; 08-22-2015 at 12:04 PM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 01:29 PM   #3

Excellent thank you. 1/2 of my problem is solved.
Old 08-24-2015, 12:21 PM   #4

If there is a Fastenal near you, you can probably get these from there. They have one section of the store where they sell small bags of hardware like this so you don't have to buy 100s at a time. I have gotten seat mounting bolts, bolts for mounting race seats, etc... They have a lot of stuff there
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 01:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
If there is a Fastenal near you, you can probably get these from there. They have one section of the store where they sell small bags of hardware like this so you don't have to buy 100s at a time. I have gotten seat mounting bolts, bolts for mounting race seats, etc... They have a lot of stuff there
Thank you. I was able to find the screws online.

Now I just got to get the old one off.
Old 08-26-2015, 01:11 PM   #6
1999 base

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlisabadman986 View Post
Thank you. I was able to find the screws online.

Now I just got to get the old one off.
what you need is screw extractor like this:

you can buy a set or just the size you need.
this set comes with a revers drill bit, so most likely just drilling the screw will extract it.

the key, is drilling the center of the screw.
i highly recommend using one of these:

Edit: the tool name is Quick Center, and you can find it here:
http://www.quikcenter.com/products.htm

Last edited by Meir; 08-26-2015 at 01:27 PM.
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 03:29 PM   #7

Garage
I like that quikcenter kit.
BFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 06:23 PM   #8

Garage
I found if I put a bit of pressure on the coil away from the head and then started to work the screw it would come out - There is a large chance the screw is not what is stripped.
Duezzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 05:15 AM   #9

i rounded the head on one of my coil pack screws and i had to get the dremel and cut off wheel out and cut the coil pack and the screw, the coil pack pulled off over the screw once the head ws removed, then the screw shaft just turned out.... problem is i have done it to a second screw which is in an even more awkward place this time....
koosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 05:23 PM   #10
Artist, 986S tinkerer

Yes, I guess if the coil pack was out of the way (since it is to be replaced) you could dremel a slot in the screw head and use a slot screw driver to remove the bolt.
BTW Carlisabadman986, like that avatar!!!
YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 11:43 PM   #11

well i had a go on saturday afetrnoon. got the dremel out and cut the bolt. instead of cutting a slot and screwing it out (which i couldnt do due to not having enough room for a screwdriver), i cut from top to bottom and took the head of the bolt clean off. the coil slipped over the shank of the bolt, then the left over shank just finger screwed out! took all of 10 minutes! replaced with shiny new stainless bolts although i cant see me needing to ever remove them again!
Old 09-08-2015, 01:33 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by koosh View Post
well i had a go on saturday afetrnoon. got the dremel out and cut the bolt. instead of cutting a slot and screwing it out (which i couldnt do due to not having enough room for a screwdriver), i cut from top to bottom and took the head of the bolt clean off. the coil slipped over the shank of the bolt, then the left over shank just finger screwed out! took all of 10 minutes! replaced with shiny new stainless bolts although i cant see me needing to ever remove them again!
Now you know why we put anti seize on them.
Old 09-08-2015, 02:02 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Now you know why we put anti seize on them.
it wasnt so much as the bolts being seized and stuck in as much as the heads of the bolts being made of some form of soft cheese.....

as said the little shaft left behind came out by hand with no effort at all...
Old 09-08-2015, 04:06 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by koosh View Post
This is what I am going to have to do.

As of now I just put everything back and have put about 1k miles without a misfire.