Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2016, 09:40 AM   #381

Garage
You know, I realized my stupidity as soon as I sent the comment. I've seen so many of the short shifter DIYs that I think I've seen/read them all.
Sorry guys.

Tony

Old 11-11-2016, 11:48 AM   #382

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagalla View Post
You know, I realized my stupidity as soon as I sent the comment. I've seen so many of the short shifter DIYs that I think I've seen/read them all.
Sorry guys.

Tony
So could you link the best video for the rest of us?
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 04:24 PM   #383

Mine came yesterday. I thought it was going to be made in China but the box said its an Italian company! Today I finished up my nine8six projector headlight conversion and started on the shifter. I bought a shifter from Woody and mounted Ben's shifter in that bracket. Tomorrow I'll install it in the car.

To get the shifter into the bracket, I had to unscrew the back round thing that the bearing is pressed onto from the blue part, then screw it back in after getting the rest of the shifter in place in the bracket. Then the cups went in over the bearings. I might have been able to get it all in without taking it apart but I didn't want to risk breaking the bracket. I'm sure tomorrow I'll spend more time on cleaning under the console area than doing the actual installation.

Thanks for doing this Ben!
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 04:48 PM   #384

The RennList people are only just waking up to Ben's shifter. You read it here first!
986 Forum shows the way !
short shift upgrade - Page 4 - Rennlist Discussion Forums
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 05:16 PM   #385
Ben-Auto-Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
Mine came yesterday. I thought it was going to be made in China but the box said its an Italian company!
It is made in China, they just write BS on the box to look good, but their boxes are correctly sized and quite strong so I reuse them.

That's why I take them apart and control them!

Thanks for sharing your experience with the install!
You shouldn't need to remove the bearing holder, it is tight, but it will go in, even with the bearings on

And thank all of you guys for the support!

If you have any problem with your shifter, you can always post here or ask me via PM or e-mail! I always try to answer as fast as I can.

One last thing, since it works almost completely on metal/metal contacts, vibrations can loosen the bolts (set screws and lever pivot), it doesn't happen often, but it has happened to at least one of you.
Nothing bad, but if you can, check it from time to time

Ben
Ben-Auto-Design : Performance parts for 9X6 / 9X7
1982 928 S Euro
Ben006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 05:59 PM   #386
1999 base

Garage
Hi Ben.
Will adding some green loctite prevents the set screws from going loose over time?
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 06:09 PM   #387
Ben-Auto-Design

Yep, even blue loctite would work to lock it, but I would still recommend to check it when you can!
1982 928 S Euro
Old 11-12-2016, 03:55 AM   #388

Put mine in last night. Definitely a tighter shift pattern, that will take some getting used to. Imdo like the precision feel now
Install wasnt hard. I used the b&m instructions. Hardest part was fiddling with the center console out and in.
This DIY project nearly paid for itself with all the change i found under my console!
Jeremyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 04:06 PM   #389

I put mine in this afternoon. Went for a short drive to make sure it all works, will put the console back in tomorrow. The throws are definitely shorter and more precise. My initial reaction was wait, am I all the way in gear, the lever didn't go very far! Before I put it back together, I'm going to double check the play and tightness of the end caps.
Old 11-13-2016, 05:02 PM   #390

I installed mine today, too

Highly recommended!

Try it - You will not be disappointed!

Thanks - DM
Dave80GTSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 02:36 PM   #391
Ben-Auto-Design

Hi guys!

I get a lot of requests, so if you are interested, PM me!
This time I'm limiting the number of shifters to 15... less shifters mean I can spend a bit more time controlling them and less chance of making a mistake.

The goal would be to wrap up everything before Christmas and avoid all the unwanted gift package flood!

Ben.
1982 928 S Euro
Old 11-17-2016, 06:37 PM   #392

Thought I missed this run, but Ben contacted me and said he had one available and I was next on list.

Got it today, installed it today. Very easy, no issues. Good fit, good quality, and functions well.

Drove only 20 minutes cause holiday traffic where I live is crazy, but I like it. Very solid, much shorter throws. It feels less rubbery/buttery and more like everyone says, like a precise rifle bolt.

It takes a little more force, not much, and that is a good thing. Right now with only 20 minutes of driving with it I found myself trying to over force it and wanting to push/pull it as far as it used to take. Before when I used to hit that first notch of resistance it would shift another 2 or so inches. Now as soon as I feel the first notch of resistance it then just goes another half inch and clicks solidly into gear. Muscle memory tells be to try and push/pull it that extra 2 inched or so that isn't necessary anymore.

I, like others have stated, put the cables back on exactly where I marked them before I popped them out.

The only trouble I am having is tightening the lock nuts without letting the cups turning with it. It's kinda hard to grip the cup, but I have found that I can use a screw driver and wedge it in the u shaped cut-out of the cup and that holds it while I tighten the nut. Don't want to grab it with pliers and damage the metal surface.

Nice work Ben, and thanks again.
rolex11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 08:18 AM   #393

Installed it a couple days ago, it's awesome! The stock shifter was worn out and the throw was really long. This one feels so good and close. I had a lot of trouble finding 3rd at first but after my third drive with the sifter it is coming naturally again.
I think i broke the little tabs that hold the bearing cup when i was tightening the adjuster so be careful with that.
pdtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 09:09 AM   #394

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolex11 View Post
The only trouble I am having is tightening the lock nuts without letting the cups turning with it. It's kinda hard to grip the cup, but I have found that I can use a screw driver and wedge it in the u shaped cut-out of the cup and that holds it while I tighten the nut. Don't want to grab it with pliers and damage the metal surface.
If you are trying to do what I think you are... STOP and NOTE: the threaded portion of the bearing cup shaft has a hex on the end of it (6mm I think) to hold it while tightening the nut.
Attached Images

Last edited by Boxing Cat; 11-18-2016 at 09:17 AM. Reason: added picture
Boxing Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 03:43 PM   #395
Ben-Auto-Design

Thanks for all the good feedback

A few people told me that their cups could spin inside the plastic frame this round.

Don't worry though, as it won't affect the operation of the shifter as long as it's tight.

Thank you Boxing Cat for clarifying that! This IS the correct method to tighten the set screws and counter nuts!

I have to find the time and make a PDF with all the tips and advises that I can send to you with the shifters.

If you want one, quick! If I don't have enough people when December comes, it will be too late to do a run before Christmas!

Ben
1982 928 S Euro
Old 11-18-2016, 10:04 PM   #396

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben006 View Post
Thanks for all the good feedback

A few people told me that their cups could spin inside the plastic frame this round.

Ben
Yes my cups do spin in the plastic frame. So doing it the "correct way" with the hex in the end of the set screw does not work because if the cup spins, the nut doesn't tighten. The cup, nut and set screw will turn together this will tighten the set screw more which is the opposite of what you are trying to accomplish.

Ideally the cups should be designed so they catch somewhere to prevent turning.

However, that said, anyone with half a brain can figure out how to prevent the cup from spinning to tighten the nut. I just pointed out that since everything is soft aluminum, clamping it with anything aggressive like pliers will gouge the aluminum.

Still a five star (*****) product at a great price.
Old 11-19-2016, 02:00 PM   #397
Ben-Auto-Design

They are designed to catch on the small plastic tab on the plastic frame but that tab is very flimsy and don't hold much most of the time...

Wedging a screw drive like you did works too, you can cover the tip with a rag for protection too.

Glad you like it

Ben
1982 928 S Euro
Old 11-19-2016, 02:54 PM   #398

After all the work I did on the car last week - installing shifter, projector headlights, electrical switch portion of the ignition lock, I planned to take the weekend off from any car projects. This afternoon I was down at my workbench and noticed a shiny new penny on the floor, with grease on it. I guess it fell out when I was putting the shifter together and didn't notice. So I took the console apart, took the shifter out and got the penny in the back cup! I thought it felt just a tad too stiff before, now it feels perfect!
Old 11-19-2016, 06:28 PM   #399

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
After all the work I did on the car last week - installing shifter, projector headlights, electrical switch portion of the ignition lock, I planned to take the weekend off from any car projects. This afternoon I was down at my workbench and noticed a shiny new penny on the floor, with grease on it. I guess it fell out when I was putting the shifter together and didn't notice. So I took the console apart, took the shifter out and got the penny in the back cup! I thought it felt just a tad too stiff before, now it feels perfect!
When I sell, I'm going to price it $.02 higher knowing those pennies are in there..
i.e $22,450.02
Old 11-20-2016, 06:44 PM   #400

Garage
Ahh I did not have this problem. Sorry for assuming you weren't aware of the hex in the set screw. Sounds like you improvised and figured it out.

I am very happy with mine. Thanks Ben!

Last edited by Boxing Cat; 11-23-2016 at 03:44 PM.
Boxing Cat is offline   Reply With Quote