Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2020, 02:12 PM   #721

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
~ 2 bills? I'd be in.

I'm assuming, correct me if I'm wrong, that the part will be a plug-and-play... and that we'd be removing our existing windscreen and plugging in your part? Or... are we sending you our existing windscreen and you're fabricating on top of that?

I'm thinking if you're selling the complete package one might just sell their existing windscreen making the purchase of your part a no-brainer. You know... offset the expense of the "cool" part by selling the "boring" part.

Thanks!
Here is what remember from the last time: Fred sent a new panel, LED strip and control box. You would remove the plastic frame from your old panel - so you needed the original wind screen to start. You put the led strip in the bottom of your frame and then install on the new Skybreaker. Then run the control box to some power connection in the center console, followed by connecting the control box to the led - via routing the wire run under the carpet behind the set and the trim around the b pillar.

Old 01-08-2020, 08:39 PM   #722

Yes!

I thought these were a great idea when I first saw this thread quite a while ago.
Count me in, too please!
Thanks
robdelorenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 02:54 AM   #723
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFeller View Post
Here is what remember from the last time: Fred sent a new panel, LED strip and control box. You would remove the plastic frame from your old panel - so you needed the original wind screen to start. You put the led strip in the bottom of your frame and then install on the new Skybreaker. Then run the control box to some power connection in the center console, followed by connecting the control box to the led - via routing the wire run under the carpet behind the set and the trim around the b pillar.
Gotcha. Thanks!
Old 01-09-2020, 05:49 AM   #724

It's a great and siple upgrade

I have to say this was the easiest and snazziest upgrade to my Boxster. I'm not even close to being a DIY guy, but I got this installed and connected no problem. Go for it guys, it's a very cool upgrade that'll make your car stand out.

Old 01-09-2020, 08:18 AM   #725

Put me on the list for one!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kboggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 02:07 PM   #726
WALDMEISTER

Garage
if the plastic is as good as the OEM and the brakelight add-on just optional (turn off/on)...
then count me in as well.
Old 01-10-2020, 05:00 AM   #727

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallace River View Post
Good god this is looking pretty damn good, Ian. I mean the whole set-up, color, yellow rollbar, honeycombs, Porsche crest, jeez man... akeeper. Thanks for posting, good inspiration (and motivation!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAN View Post
if the plastic is as good as the OEM and the brakelight add-on just optional (turn off/on)...
then count me in as well.
Nope, not as good; ITS TEN TIME BETTER!!! Literally optic-quality clear, no defect, same material (pmma) and professionally coated (scratch/chemical resist). Not all that bad, Bran The brake feature is optional of course, just omit the extra connection.

Our SkyBreaker Club so far:
TTGator, robdelorenzo, Kboggs, Dubaday, maytag, bg305, Troy.Boxster, rick3000, Bran, Jeffrey

*Update*

I've seen that our RGB Led PCB mfg was completed today so once we receive this (late weekend?) we'll be able to prototype on the micro and get drivers working. Also ordered ICs for the driver, we'll try the TI's TLC59731 (single-wire driver) and a ULN2003 Darlington transistor arrays. We are dealing with common anode leds here so not exactly sure who will win the switching job, let's see when we get the parts.

Once we have the RGB and Brightness circuit all dialed-in, we'll move on to an input for the brake signal and wrap this for the electronic part of the upgrade. Should be easy, not!

^ If only I could learn to be as efficient as these guys. They wrap-up hundreds of completed pcb in-a-day these chaps, go figure :/

Last edited by Nine8Six; 01-10-2020 at 06:10 AM.
Nine8Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 05:32 AM   #728
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
Good god this is looking pretty damn good, Ian. I mean the whole set-up, color, yellow rollbar, honeycombs, Porsche crest, jeez man... akeeper. Thanks for posting, good inspiration (and motivation!)

Nope, not as good; ITS TEN TIME BETTER!!! Literally optic-quality clear, no defect, same material (pmma) and professionally coated (scratch/chemical resist). Not all that bad, Bran The brake feature is optional of course, just omit the extra connection.

Our SkyBreaker Club so far:
TTGator, robdelorenzo, Kboggs, Dubaday, maytag, bg305, Troy.Boxster,Starter986, rick3000, Bran, Jeffrey

*Update*

I've seen that our RGB Led PCB mfg was completed today so once we receive this (late weekend?) we'll be able to prototype on the micro and get drivers working. Also ordered ICs for the driver, we'll try the TI's TLC59731 (single-wire driver) and a ULN2003 Darlington transistor arrays. We are dealing with common anode leds here so not exactly sure who will win the switching job, let's see when we get the parts.

Once we have the RGB and Brightness circuit all dialed-in, we'll move on to an input for the brake signal and wrap this for the electronic part of the upgrade. Should be easy, not!

^ If only I could learn to be as efficient as these guys. They wrap-up hundreds of completed pcb in-a-day these chaps, go figure :/
Hi 986,

I'm requesting some clarity, please.

Are you selling the entire unit? I pop out my windscreen (store it... sell it... trash it... whatever) and for your purchase price I receive an entire unit? You know, snap it in... "plug" it into some juice... and I'm good to go? In other words, as another poster suggested, I don't have to dismantle my existing part (removing the clear "glass/inserting your "glass"/ snapping it all back together bull****************)?

Also, are you going to be engraving onto the "glass"? You know... Boxster... Porsche... 986... etc?

Thank you for your consideration.

Cheers!
Old 01-10-2020, 06:09 AM   #729

You remind me, where is my old (oem) windscreen glass panel... completely lost track of it. Possibly lost it somewhere... garbage that'd be I'm sure lol

Starter986, snap it in... "plug" it into some juice... and your are good to go, correct:
1. simply flip out the old panel
2. drill a miniature 3mm diameter hole in the bracket's bottom groove (for the 3mmOD wire)
3. Slide in the new SkyBreaker
4. Place the controller in the console compartment, run the wiring down to the ashtray's 12Vdc
5. Done. The whole install takes 30-45min max

The panel cutting is done by myself and so are all those fancy custom designs you saw. I'll post & PM on the ordering procedures when we are ready to crack on the production. *Note* that you can always design your own and send over the vector file if you need something really special (some did that too). For "vector" graphic design use https://inkscape.org (no jpeg, png, or anything pixelated... need "vector" AI, SVG, EPS, etc).

Starter986, I'll take you out from the list for now, sorry for the confusion. If you are 100% convinced this is for you then just let us know here and we'll hop you back in

Last edited by Nine8Six; 01-10-2020 at 06:47 AM.
Old 01-10-2020, 07:08 AM   #730
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
You remind me, where is my old (oem) windscreen glass panel... completely lost track of it. Possibly lost it somewhere... garbage that'd be I'm sure lol

Starter986, snap it in... "plug" it into some juice... and your are good to go, correct:
1. simply flip out the old panel
2. drill a miniature 3mm diameter hole in the bracket's bottom groove (for the 3mmOD wire)
3. Slide in the new SkyBreaker
4. Place the controller in the console compartment, run the wiring down to the ashtray's 12Vdc
5. Done. The whole install takes 30-45min max

The panel cutting is done by myself and so are all those fancy custom designs you saw. I'll post & PM on the ordering procedures when we are ready to crack on the production. *Note* that you can always design your own and send over the vector file if you need something really special (some did that too). For "vector" graphic design use https://inkscape.org (no jpeg, png, or anything pixelated... need "vector" AI, SVG, EPS, etc).

Starter986, I'll take you out from the list for now, sorry for the confusion. If you are 100% convinced this is for you then just let us know here and we'll hop you back in
Thank you.

The SkyBreaker. This means the entire unit, correct? The frame... the snaps... the "glass"... the LED module. I sell my existing part... get the cash... pull from my wallet the difference... pay you. Yes? No?

And... the part will run ~$200? Please add me to that list if affirmative on all counts.

Thank you for your consideration. You Rock.
Old 01-10-2020, 08:38 AM   #731

The SkyBreaker is:

1. Polymethyl methacrylate (pmma) clear panel (direct replacement of your existing one)
2. A stylish and lightweight thermal enclosure, all custom CNC to adapt the lighting system
3. The lighting system itself (previously a single color flex led strip, now a pcb with RGBs).
4. A controller to remotely manage features such as colors and brightness. Enclosure also CNC.
5. A custom high resolution laser etching/design of your choice
6. Quite a few man hours for kit assembly, edge polishing, surface anodizing of parts, etc.

To note: The frame and the snaps are not included. You get to keep your existing hardware but can safely dispose of that oem clear panel/glass/acrylic/window thingy afterward.
Hope this help, let me know if you have any questions!

ps: have a look at the first 2 or 3 pages of this old thread for parts visuals!
Old 01-10-2020, 09:15 AM   #732
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
The SkyBreaker is:

1. Polymethyl methacrylate (pmma) clear panel (direct replacement of your existing one)
2. A stylish and lightweight thermal enclosure, all custom CNC to adapt the lighting system
3. The lighting system itself (previously a single color flex led strip, now a pcb with RGBs).
4. A controller to remotely manage features such as colors and brightness. Enclosure also CNC.
5. A custom high resolution laser etching/design of your choice
6. Quite a few man hours for kit assembly, edge polishing, surface anodizing of parts, etc.

To note: The frame and the snaps are not included. You get to keep your existing hardware but can safely dispose of that oem clear panel/glass/acrylic/window thingy afterward.
Hope this help, let me know if you have any questions!

ps: have a look at the first 2 or 3 pages of this old thread for parts visuals!
Thank you very much. Clear now, and I'm in.

Have a great weekend!
Old 01-10-2020, 09:18 AM   #733

Welcome to the SkyBreaker Club!
Starter986, TTGator, robdelorenzo, Kboggs, Dubaday, maytag, bg305, Troy.Boxster, rick3000, Bran, Jeffrey

Thanks guys, and have a wonderful weekend too
Old 01-10-2020, 10:46 AM   #734

Fred - Interested in this product, but strictly speaking only for myself (and realizing that I may well be in the minority here), I am not a fan of the concept of the LED lighting bit.

Wondering if it is possible to do the screen w/o the lighting, but only an 'etching' of the clear screen so that the logo bit is visible? In other words, the appearance should be about the same as the lighted version would be with the lighting not turned on?

Thanks - DM
Dave80GTSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 11:14 AM   #735
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave80GTSi View Post
Fred - Interested in this product, but strictly speaking only for myself (and realizing that I may well be in the minority here), I am not a fan of the concept of the LED lighting bit.

Wondering if it is possible to do the screen w/o the lighting, but only an 'etching' of the clear screen so that the logo bit is visible? In other words, the appearance should be about the same as the lighted version would be with the lighting not turned on?

Thanks - DM
Mine is off 99% of the time (brightness is adjustable).
I only use the lighting when showing off

It’s technically illegal to drive with it on, anyway.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 11:54 AM   #736

Quote:

Thanks - DM
Dave, absolutely.
I'd be more than happy to get you an exact replica of the existing panel with a quality etch of your choice at a reasonable price. That without any illumination or additional hardware as you request (i.e. just the panel & etch job).

If you are happy with this let us know here on the thread and I'll put you in. The more we are for the panel min.qty order & coating the better! (supplier/coater won't budge under 50x (min.qty) and I don't want all that extra to be on "my tab" lol

Last edited by Nine8Six; 01-10-2020 at 11:57 AM.
Old 01-10-2020, 12:30 PM   #737

Quote:
Dave, absolutely.
I'd be more than happy to get you an exact replica of the existing panel with a quality etch of your choice at a reasonable price. That without any illumination or additional hardware as you request (i.e. just the panel & etch job).

If you are happy with this let us know here on the thread and I'll put you in. The more we are for the panel min.qty order & coating the better! (supplier/coater won't budge under 50x (min.qty) and I don't want all that extra to be on "my tab" lol
Yes, that sounds good! Count me in!

Thanks - DM
Dave80GTSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 12:51 PM   #738

Quote:
Yes, that sounds good! Count me in!

Thanks - DM
Welcome to the SkyBreaker Club!
Dave80GTSi, Starter986, TTGator, robdelorenzo, Kboggs, Dubaday, maytag, bg305, Troy.Boxster, rick3000, Bran, Jeffrey

I'll PM everyone as soon as I possibly can guys. Let's e-upgrade this first, get the panels to the Coating Mfg next (arrgg), and let's go crazy and etch those last. Thanks again everyone. Enjoy the weekend!
Old 01-11-2020, 02:08 AM   #739

Will white be one of the colors that would be available in the led strip? I love the color options and brake function, but would like white as option if its possible since ai have a white boxster?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kboggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 03:53 AM   #740

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kboggs View Post
Will white be one of the colors that would be available in the led strip? I love the color options and brake function, but would like white as option if its possible since ai have a white boxster?
Excellent question. I'd lie if I'd tell you that the RGB mixture can outperform let's say single color LED cool or warm whites. Probably not but we could be in for some surprise, I do not know, yet.

The PCB shipped this morning so I should have this in hands tomorrow or the following day and I'll test these color first thing for you.
For white (R.255, G.255, B.255)
For warm white (R.255, G.244, B.229)

I'll report back!